PDA

View Full Version : E17 Mixer with 5.1 surround in Ubuntu Studio

sirriffsalot
February 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Hey all!

I gave E17 a try on Ubuntu Studio as XFCE was giving me some xrun issues, and to my astonishment E seems to be a lot more suitable for running JACK. However, the mixer module, which I like very much on my desktop, only lowers the Front Left and Front Right outputs, according to pavucontrol (PulseAudioVolumeControl), and my ears, also leaving the sub-woofer on the floor emitting annoying bass-sounds on it's own.

To make a long story short I got bored with 5.1 surround for mixing music, haha! So I found some old and fantastic stereo speakers in my basement from my mom, and hooked them up to the sub-woofer which gets all the cables from the aforementioned 5.1 speakers. All I have now are the two stereo speakers and the sub-woofer, as I find it a somehow dull sound overall without that additional bass when listening to certain music or movies.

I've set the mixer on my desktop to lock the channels together, but no matter what I do it just will not lower all 5.1 channels. Not that it really is necessary, but would be nice to be able to for future reference. When it comes to using it when jack is running, it does not work at all... Suggestions for both alsa and jack would be wonderful!

P.S. How come E17 or any other Enlightenment DE that is stable is not the standard for Ubuntu Studio? I was amazed at the difference between XFCE4 and E.. Enlightenment seems to have way more efficiency in terms of resource-hunger than XFCE, which is what I suppose a studio distro should focus on...?

--> Leo

Frogs Hair
February 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM
E17 has been in development for a long time and only recently had its first stable release. Bodhi Linux finally has E17 stable and E18 development has begun. http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2013/01/bodhi-linux-gets-e17-stable-packages.html

sirriffsalot
February 17th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Well... I got that, that's why I wanted to give it a go? Got any suggestions to my issue? :)

Frogs Hair
February 17th, 2013, 06:14 PM
The mixer module may simply not be capable of what you are trying to do. What type of output is listed in sound ? Example: Stereo , Analog Stereo , and so on.

sirriffsalot
February 19th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I found two awesome stereo speakers in the basement, plus the subwoofer, and now it handles it alright. I wanted to get rid of the silly 5.1 in the first place, hehe.

For future spectators of this thread, I tried the above suggestion, and no matter which one I chose the same results arose. I suppose the mixer as of this writing simply does not handle this yet. Perhaps in the future!

--> Leo