PDA

View Full Version : Parsing Bash cmdline args using grep and sed

RaHorakhty
February 16th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I got a script that expects two args (filename and MD5hashval). I can extract just the hex output of MD5sum using md5sum test.sh | grep -om1 '^[0-9a-f]*.' For some reason, the same cmd fails when invoked from a script. Whats the best way to check cmdline arguments passed to a Bash script? Here's what the code looks like:

#!/bin/bash

while getopts "f:s:" opt; do
case $opt in
f)
FILENAME=`$OPTARG | sed 's/[-a-zA-Z0-9]*=//'`
echo ${FILENAME}
;;
s)
MD5SUM=`$OPTARG | grep -om1 '^[0-9a-f]*'`
echo $OPTARG
;;
\?)
echo "Invalid option: -$OPTARG" >&2
exit 1
;;
:)
echo "Option -$opt requires an argument." >&2
exit 1
;;
esac
done
exit 0

the $OPTARG never gets parsed...any suggestions?

r-senior
February 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I'm not quite sure where you are going with this script but when you run something like this,

$ md5sum temp.txt | grep -om1 '^[0-9a-f]*.'

you are taking the output of md5sum (on stdout) and connecting it to the input (stdin) of grep, i.e. piping.

If you put the output of md5sum into a variable, you don't put it on stdout just by naming the variable -- bash thinks you are tring to run a command like "2ff24be63bf77643012865fc8ac5909b temp.txt" so it says command not found:

$ MD5SUM=`md5sum temp.txt`
$ $MD5SUM
2ff24be63bf77643012865fc8ac5909b: command not found

You could put the content of the variable onto stdout by using echo:

$ echo $MD5SUM
2ff24be63bf77643012865fc8ac5909b temp.txt

That allows you to pipe the content of that variable to another command:

$ echo $MD5SUM | grep -om1 '^[0-9a-f]*'
2ff24be63bf77643012865fc8ac5909b

Other comments:

1. Using $() is usually easier to read than ``, e.g:

MD5SUM=$(md5sum temp.txt)

2. Don't forget "#!/bin/bash" at the top of the script if you want to be sure bash is running the script.

3. An alternative to your grep, and perhaps slightly easier to read, is to use cut:

$ MD5SUM=$(md5sum temp.txt)
$ echo $MD5SUM | cut --delimiter=' ' --fields=1
2ff24be63bf77643012865fc8ac5909b

Having said all that, I'm not sure why you are expecting the argument to the -s option to be the raw output of md5sum. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it accept just the sum?

Maybe you could explain what you are trying to do?

Vaphell
February 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM
if you want to see what gets inside the script

printf "[%s]\n" "$@"

example (using function instead of script)

$ test() { printf "[%s]\n" "$@"; }
$ test abc 'de f'
[abc]
[de f]

RaHorakhty
February 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
ok! Thanks for the info. Now it actually parses. I don't really understand how grep and regular expressions work. It so confusing! It seems like there's a million ways to parse info using reg exps. How exactly does grep work in my code? I thought it would extract just lower case hex chars 0-9a-f but it apparently truncates the string leaving all characters to the left of the first non-matching char indicated. Anyone here sharp enough how to code it so that it returns just HEX characters (case insensitive)? Here's the code.....

#!/bin/bash

while getopts ":f:s:" opt; do
case $opt in
f)

FILENAME=`echo $OPTARG | sed 's/[-a-zA-Z0-9]*=//'`
echo ${FILENAME}
;;
s)

MD5SUM=`echo $OPTARG | grep -om1 '^[0-9a-f]*'`
echo ${MD5SUM}
;;
\?)
echo "Invalid option: -$OPTARG" >&2
exit 1
;;
:)
echo "Option -$opt requires an argument." >&2
exit 1
;;
esac
done

exit 0

r-senior
February 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM
To do what you describe, I think you would be better using 'tr' to remove any characters that don't match '0-9a-f':

$ HEX=$(echo 0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz | tr -d -c '0-9a-f')
$ echo $HEX
0123456789abcdef

But, if you want to process the output of md5sum, that's not what you want because the filename could have characters that match '[0-9a-f]' and they would end up in your output:

$ md5sum temp.txt
5553ae9084e054b3fb742ac623e41dc5 temp.txt

I think what you really want is the first field, delimited by one or more spaces, and 'cut' is the simplest way to do that. Your grep is extracting the first field -- you will get the longest match of '^[0-9a-z]*', which is everything up to the first space, non-inclusive -- I just think cut is simpler.

The key to understanding is that regular expressions like yours match sequences of characters, not individual characters. For filtering individual characters, something like 'tr' is your friend.

The other thing that occurs to me is that if you want to work with md5 hashes, you might just be better using Python rather than trying to process the output of md5sum using bash:

md5.py

import hashlib

def md5_hash(filename):
with open(filename) as file:
content = file.read()
digester = hashlib.md5(content)
return digester.hexdigest()

print md5_hash('temp.txt')

So you could just get the hex digest for a file without having to filter out any junk:

$ python md5.py
cadab018255ea4f637a51655630f8bed

Again, it depends what you are trying to achieve ...

RaHorakhty
February 17th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Clever! You're as sharp as a cleaver...I'll give tr a shot. Thanks again.

schragge
February 18th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Just for the record, some ways to get the MD5 hash from the output of md5sum

cut -d' ' -f1 # that's what r-senior suggested above
awk '{print $1}'
sed 's/ .*//'
cut -c-32
egrep -o '^.{32}' # non-POSIX, GNU and BusyBox extension
head -c32 # non-POSIX, GNU and BusyBox extension
colrm 33 # colrm is from the package bsdmainutils
dd bs=32 count=1 2>/dev/null
I'm sure, you can come up with many more. The basic idea is to return either the first 32 characters or the text before the first space.

RaHorakhty
February 19th, 2013, 05:21 AM
yea, there's more than one way to deal with strings/chars in Bash, and they're all equally confusing! I'll experiment here in my lab for a bit...keep you guys posted. thnx.