PDA

View Full Version : Note Taking (Hand Recognition) Software?

ATXChris
February 15th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Hello all, I recently acquired a tablet/laptop hybrid again and want to use it for note-taking in school. Is there any software for linux (Lubuntu specifically) that recognizes handwriting and makes it into text for this application?

Sef
February 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM
go to the Software Center and type in handwriting.

Favux
February 16th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hi ATXChris,

Unfortunately there really aren't any handwriting recognition app.s for linux that I am aware of. Evernote did have a web demo a few years ago for linux and I think there is another proprietary app. with a web demo also. Xstroke development halted years ago and it no longer builds. Although I believe some Distros had it building long after it stopped in Ubuntu.

Most folks make do with Xournal or Jarnal and CellWriter. CellWriter has letter recognition.

You can get it using the Ink2Text project. That uses Wine and Windows XP tablet PC libraries.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ink2text/?source=directory

Installing it looks like a project. Don't know if it works in Precise or later. I saw someone wrote some detailed installation instructions for Natty 11.04 in the project's HELP. The author also had a thread or two on it in this forum.

kaldor
February 16th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I like Xournal.