PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LTS Enablement Stack 12.04.2

on110
February 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Hello. I have 12.04.1 x86-64 installed and now I want to upgrade to 12.04.2 with LTS Enablement Stack. How to upgrade all my installed packages to their *-quantal version if there is any? I do not want to search them and upgrade one by one or install full xserver-xorg-lts-quantal metapackage with all drivers. Is that possible?

howefield
February 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I do not want to search them and upgrade one by one or install full xserver-xorg-lts-quantal metapackage with all drivers. Is that possible?

Then do a fresh clean install with 12.04.2.

on110
February 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
why should I? It's windows way, mate. btw why does moderator give such stupid advices?

howefield
February 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
why should I?

No one can answer that for you.

It's windows way, mate.

Not sure I understand what you are saying, what is the "windows way, mate" ? Do you leave a note under your pillow asking the tooth fairy to do it for you whilst you sleep ? ;-)

There is sufficient difference between this point release of Ubuntu and the previous for me to consider it worthy of a fresh install and thereafter taking the updates as they come.

No different to what I'd do in Windows.

So that is what I'd recommend, others will most likely come along and give some other advice, so hang around.

Paging Twinkle....

on110
February 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM
good. I'll try to explain. There's a known solution for every and each problem in windows world - reinstall. So I tried to say there's no need to reinstall ubuntu when the problem is just to upgrade some packages. It could be easily done, I'm just too lazy to search which packages to upgrade out of installed ones. Thought there should be some workaround.
Didn't understand the part about fairies and teeth, there's only bears and vodka and my kalashnikov here...

oldfred
February 15th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I had not heard of Enablement Stack until this post. But I knew 12.04 was in effect going to have two versions. One based on original kernel and one using a newer kernel.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#LTS_Hardware_Enablement_Stack

Perform an update or upgrade to Precise from a previous Ubuntu release. Only those installing from the 12.04.2 media will automatically receive a newer hardware enablement stack by default.
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-quantal

For anyone interested, the specifics regarding the exact policies and procedures regarding the support, maintenance, and upgrade paths for the hardware enablement stack has been documented at the following location:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

dino99
February 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
note: i already have tried it, but xorg/xserver need to accept ABI higher than 11 ;)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-lts-quantal/+bug/1125413

catnet
February 17th, 2013, 01:52 PM
the correct way to upgrade is

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-lts-quantal libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal

I don't know why the officials mislead users.

Bobhuber
February 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM

Thank you. On my system it broke x but did install correctly. I'm using a newer kernel and an older version of nvidia which caused the problem but on a stock box it looks like it would update the kernel and xorg correctly. During the install its looking for nvidia 310.19 which I don't quite understand since the current drivers are 310.32 unless it's trying to update nvidia current.Either way your instructions were correct and very helpful.

presence1960
February 18th, 2013, 01:19 AM
why should I? It's windows way, mate. btw why does moderator give such stupid advices?

Howefield is a lot gentler than I would have been to that reply. Hint: Don't insult the people from whom you are asking for help!

catnet
February 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Thank you. On my system it broke x but did install correctly. I'm using a newer kernel and an older version of nvidia which caused the problem but on a stock box it looks like it would update the kernel and xorg correctly. During the install its looking for nvidia 310.19 which I don't quite understand since the current drivers are 310.32 unless it's trying to update nvidia current.Either way your instructions were correct and very helpful.

Sorry to break your X, but it's mess now it ubuntu's repos. Neither nvidia drivers not vbox from repos work with current xserver and/or kernel. I've got intel video and this command upgraded x good. Now I have both xserver and kernel from quantal.
P.S. IMO there should be more testing before putting packages with broken dependancies into repos, else many companies leave ubuntu.

mcqueed
February 21st, 2013, 04:54 AM
When I ran the "recommended" LTSEnablementStack update:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-quantaleverything seemed to be fine, until I disconnected the monitor to run headless. On reboot the system stopped in the "The system is running in low-graphics mode" prompt.

I then ran:

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-lts-quantalintending to reinstall the precise one, but I noticed that the normal remove said that it was going to install, what looked like, a neutral version on xserver-xorg, so I continued.

My headless server now boots correctly, auto login works and I am able to vnc into the machine.

Since I use this mainly as a server, only using the desktop via vnc for some administration, this solution is good for me.

BUT

When my replacement backup system comes in, I will be doing a fresh install. While linux, at it's heart, is fine for in place upgrades, today's full fledge systems really need fresh installs to operate at their peak.

forcecore
February 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM

libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal
Thanks, this solved my netboot build GPU acceleration issue too.