PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Gnome Remix won't load desktop after restart

jhilp
February 14th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I tried out the Ubuntu Gnome remix on my computer. It was working really well, until I restarted it. It started to boot from the hard drive, but then went black and an error box came up saying "could not load Gnome session". I tried restarting it several more times, with the same result. I tried a complete reinstall of the operating system 2 more times, with the same results. On one install, I was able to restart it successfully several times, but finally it came up with the same error. Does anyone know of a fix, or do I just need to wait until they get the bugs worked out of the system? Thanks!

jhilp
February 15th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I gave up on the Ubuntu Gnome Remix and did a fresh install of the standard 12.10 distro. Then I installed the Gnome desktop from Ubuntu Software Center. It works really well so far. I like it better than the Gnome Remix because it comes with the better software packages that are standard with Unity, especially the Ubuntu Software Center. In my opinion, the software center is way better than the archaic software installer that comes with Fedora or Ubuntu Gnome.

grahammechanical
February 15th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Did it get to a log in screen?

I have Ubuntu Gnome Remix and it has Ubuntu Software Centre But then again I have installed the Gnome3 PPA. So, may be the Ubuntu Software Centre came in with that.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10

I am running UGR now just to test if it has Ubuntu Software Centre. I have no idea why your version did not have it.

Regards.