PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] installing Lubuntu vs. installing Ubuntu + "Lubuntu desktop"

GregInAL
February 14th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Is there any difference (in terms of software installed) between installing a Lubuntu image (as downloaded from the Lubuntu site) versus installing Ubuntu but selecting "Lubuntu desktop" during the install?

I'm looking at version 12.10 if it matters.

Thanks! - Greg

iMac71
February 14th, 2013, 11:00 PM
the difference is that if you choose to install lubuntu you'll only have the applications of that flavor, while if you choose to install ubuntu and then lubuntu-desktop you'll have the applications of both of these flavors and you'll be able to choose what desktop environment you wish to use each time you do login.

offgridguy
February 14th, 2013, 11:18 PM
To add to the previous reply, there is less default software installed with lubuntu than
there is with ubuntu + the LXDE desktop. If you desire the extra features, the latter is the way to go, if you want a simpler but faster system then lubuntu is the better choice.

I use lubuntu most of the time,ubuntu when i need features not available by default in
lubuntu. :)

Gaygerbil
May 12th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Unless you want Unity and all it's features there's no point in installing Ubuntu with the Lubuntu Desktop. Lubuntu can run everything Ubuntu can run outside of the Unity/Gnome environment.