PDA

View Full Version : Multi-lingual support for the forums?

ubuntu-geek
October 26th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Hello all,

I am thinking about adding sub forums off the general forum for other languages.. I would like to get some input :)

Spanish, Germain, Dutch come to mind..

FLeiXiuS
October 26th, 2004, 04:02 AM
If any other languages please speak now...

Juergen
October 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Maybe contact the people at http://www.ubuntuusers.de for some sort of cooperation?

I saw a posting (today?) suggesting at least mutual linking from/to here

adbak
October 26th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I have noticed a few Italian speakers on these boards too. Perhaps Portuguese as well.

fjleal
October 26th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Hello all,

I am thinking about adding sub forums off the general forum for other languages.. I would like to get some input :)

Spanish, Germain, Dutch come to mind..
I'd just like to say that as a non-english natural speaker, I'm against this idea. Remeber Babel? It seems to me it wouldn't promote the mutual understanding but rather seed confusion and frustration on people trying to read posts in several different languages. One single universal language is enough, in my opinion. And since english has taken that place... why not stand with it?

crashd
October 27th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Italian forum please :D

crashd
October 27th, 2004, 02:34 PM
http://www.ubuntu-italia.tk/ this is a forum for italian users!!
evvai! :D

im_ka
October 27th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I'd just like to say that as a non-english natural speaker, I'm against this idea. Remeber Babel? It seems to me it wouldn't promote the mutual understanding but rather seed confusion and frustration on people trying to read posts in several different languages. One single universal language is enough, in my opinion. And since english has taken that place... why not stand with it?

i kinda agree with that. if someone wants to read/post in his/her own language... leave it up to them and they can create their ubuntu-[random_country] community. personally, i even think english when it comes to linux (i'm hungarian and living in austria).

just my 2 eurocents

i voted no btw.

ubuntu-geek
October 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Great guys, this is kinda of stuff I wanted to see. :) We will just keep it all english for now....