PDA

View Full Version : Name your favourite FOSS apps

DisappearingOak
February 14th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I used Windows for a long time, and loved many of the beautiful applications available for it including Foobar2k (completely customizable yet very functional), Opera, OneNote (wow, that's what I call an app!). So I'm looking for recommendations for apps on Linux which are free sofwtare. Name any app in any category.. just one condition - it has to be beautiful looking and also fairly functional.

Thanks!

TheFu
February 14th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I used Windows for a long time, and loved many of the beautiful applications available for it including Foobar2k (completely customizable yet very functional), Opera, OneNote (wow, that's what I call an app!). So I'm looking for recommendations for apps on Linux which are free sofwtare. Name any app in any category.. just one condition - it has to be beautiful looking and also fairly functional.

Thanks!

bash. It is completely unimaginable how I did anything before learning bash. The ability to automate almost everything on my Linux machines using this amazing tool - well it is just hard to imagine life before bash. There is a limit as to how complicated any automation should be, but bash handles most with grace.

You are probably already using a tiny amount of bash now, but the real power is not be employed, especially by new users.

MadmanRB
February 14th, 2013, 09:33 PM
just one condition - it has to be beautiful looking and also fairly functional.

This is a mindset you seriously have to get over when using an OS.
Beauty does not equal functionality, a big issue with say Gnome shell is that it may look nice but lacks a lot of functions...

tgalati4
February 14th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Zim is a fine replacement for OneNote. Opera exists for linux. I presume foobar2k is a music player? There are lots of decent music players--too many to mention. There is a webpage that has a music player comparison--I don't have the link handy.

mamamia88
February 14th, 2013, 10:41 PM

Thanks!

Well the obvious answers are firefox and vlc. Besides that gpodder is a very good podcast client with lots of customization options. BTW opera was never open source just freeware correct me if i'm wrong

ugm6hr
February 15th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Almost any of the Elementary OS applications (in Luna Beta) fall into the "looks beautiful" with some (but not maximal) functionality.
Files: File Manager
Noise: Music Manager

Sorry to go off-topic (but relevant in light of your thread title)...
Have to say - functionality is my preference. I use Elementary because it is lightweight and looks good, and functions in an integrated way. However, if it wasn't lightweight, none of the rest would matter.

Dry Lips
February 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Almost any of the Elementary OS applications (in Luna Beta) fall into the "looks beautiful" with some (but not maximal) functionality.
Files: File Manager
Noise: Music Manager

Sorry to go off-topic (but relevant in light of your thread title)...
Have to say - functionality is my preference. I use Elementary because it is lightweight and looks good, and functions in an integrated way. However, if it wasn't lightweight, none of the rest would matter.

Luna Elementary: Perhaps the perfect OS for a laptop? Elegant and simple, just what you'd want for your laptop.

The reason why I like Elementary so much is because they have a clear vision about what they want to achieve, unlike many other distros. I only wish they had more developers working for them. We've been waiting for Luna for a loooong time now...

tartalo
February 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I presume foobar2k is a music player? There are lots of decent music players--too many to mention. There is a webpage that has a music player comparison--I don't have the link handy.

Yes, Foobar2000 is a music player, and unfortunately there's nothing comparable in the FOSS world, trust me, I've searched a lot, I ended using Foobar2000 throught Wine.

Foobar2000 does only "one" thing (deal with music) and does it very well, it's extremely flexible, it's extendable with numerous plugins, and makes no asuptions about the user other than she might be an intelligent person with specific needs and capable of adapting the program to them.

It strikes me that no FOSS project achieved that yet, but I have high hopes about DeadBeef since the author has no problem to admit that Foobar2000 is his main inspiration.

JayKay3OOO
February 16th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Problem. Most of the 'beautiful' look to windows is created from the desktop window manager aero which gives it all that glassy and 3-D look which then trasitions into the applications.

Believe me I did comp sci and wrote a few programs that looked better in Windows 7 than Gnome (a window manager/ui for Linux)

One google search shows this http://www.noobslab.com/2012/02/install-tempered-glass-theme-on.html

glass theme for Gnome shell (probably works on unity)

KDE has a windowsish look to it without some of the glass look.

oldos2er
February 17th, 2013, 02:48 AM
it has to be beautiful looking and also fairly functional.

That's easy--KDE. Not sure if you would consider it an "app" though.

Dave_L
February 17th, 2013, 11:52 AM
emacs

gimp

thunderbird

blackbird34
February 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Synapse

Cinnamon

Gimp 2.8 with single-window mode

llanitedave
February 18th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Gimp, Geany, Firefox, Okular, Amarok, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, and SQLiteman. In no particular order.

evilsoup
February 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Easystroke, a mouse-gesture program. Immensely useful - I find working on machines without it irritating. Beautiful... hrm. It leaves a red line behind your mouse when you're performing mouse gestures, which I find aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not sure if I'd call it beautiful exactly...