PDA

View Full Version : whiz kid saves business lots of money with Ubuntu

Lars Noodén
February 14th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Here's a really positive article about a small business saving lots of money with the help of a smart 5th grader and Ubuntu:

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/02/13/4014435-computer-whiz-11-saves-businessman-thousandsbr/

Lucradia
February 14th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Too bad it's not from the USA. Wish we had articles like that here.

mips
February 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM
With a surname like that he can only be from South Africa originally ;)

mike acker
February 14th, 2013, 03:25 PM

it's an excellent article

right now we are watching closely the compatibility between LibreOffice 4.0 and the other "office" system

LO 4.0 is much better than the previous LO 3.5 but i think they need to solicit testers to check for and report compatibility problems particularly LO saving into the OOXML formats

saving into OOXML is probably not as necessary as many users will think.

generally when a document is to be sent to another party .PDF format should be used. only when collaboration is needed will the ooxml problems become an issue

kurt18947
February 14th, 2013, 04:50 PM
In the U.S. at least, I wonder if the defacto lock-in of small business to Quickbooks may prove as much or more of an issue than MSO lock-in. MSO can be installed and work with WINE if necessary, Quickbooks cannot and I'm not sure there's a viable replacement for businesses. For instance, CPAs usually know Quickbooks, they may not know or care to learn GnuCash.

mips
February 14th, 2013, 04:58 PM
In the U.S. at least, I wonder if the defacto lock-in of small business to Quickbooks may prove as much or more of an issue than MSO lock-in.

The database portion can run on linux and they also have a client for Android. Maybe it can run on Android x86.

lz1dsb
February 14th, 2013, 05:03 PM
As far as I've read, "van" is kind of like the equivalent of the German "von". And "van" is quite common with Dutch surnames. But there are also a lot of Dutch surnames in South Africa, so who knows :)

Anyway, a pretty nice article indeed. I hope that many other small and medium sized businesses will recognized the power of open source and Linux in general.

kurt18947
February 14th, 2013, 10:47 PM
The database portion can run on linux and they also have a client for Android. Maybe it can run on Android x86.

I could see it working if there's an online version of Quickbooks like there is TurboTax. There may be, I haven't been involved with Quickbooks for several years. The question would then become are businesses willing to use an online accounting package and have their financials 'in the cloud'? Warranted or not, there are likely to be security concerns.

PIE09gbLmgG6
February 14th, 2013, 11:12 PM
I've been trying to move minds in my school district over to the idea...using Ubuntu would be a great asset here...and much cheaper than what we are using.

ego-

ikt
February 15th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Wish I was that good when I was his age :)