PDA

View Full Version : MS has a realtime (slight delay) English to Chinese speech translator working

sdowney717
February 12th, 2013, 08:05 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/08/microsoft_english_chinese_demonstration/

It is an interesting idea. You speak English words, and the computer will generate Chinese spoken words.

I want to hear it go the other way, anyone have a link for that?

Enigmapond
February 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Maybe you should ask M$....? You are in an Ubuntu forum. :D

sdowney717
February 12th, 2013, 08:40 PM
A real time speech translator will be a killer must have type of app.
Is this being worked on for Linux anywhere?

tgalati4
February 12th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Good for asking the waiter: "What is wiggling in my soup?"

"House Specialty."

MadmanRB
February 12th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Well rather if Microsoft would port this over to anything other then windows is well obvious it is cool this exists.
So for once I say, great idea Microsoft, in a very sincere matter no less! :popcorn:

Warpnow
February 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Age old idea from tons of sci-fi, the trick is getting it to work worth a damn. Wonder if they've succeeded....

fontis
February 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Exciting!
Translation has always been a tricky issue.
I thought it was quite funny how they used "Bing translate" as the pinnacle of online translation... Google Translate is much older, better, reliable, faster, accurate and less cluttered :p

But hey. Promoters gotta promote

Cheesemill
February 13th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Someone used the Microsoft API to create some Raspberry Pi powered translation glasses last July. Check it out...

http://www.willpowell.co.uk/blog/2012/07/22/project-glass-real-time-translation-inspired/

lisati
February 13th, 2013, 10:38 AM
If it worked in both directions, would we be able to do something like puttin "Out of sight, out of mind" in one end, and have "invisible idiot" come out the other? :D

In other words, rumour has it that machine-assisted translation has its challenges.