PDA

View Full Version : Update Manager Errors - Ubuntu 11.10

raindogxx
February 12th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hello,

After relocating from the US to Ireland I have encountered the following error message when attempting to update my system using Update Manager:

"Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.slimdevices.com_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'"

Minus the smiley.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

matt_symes
February 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Hi

Opoen a terminal and type

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.slimdevices.com_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages

Enter your password. It will not be echoed to the screen. Then type

sudo apt-get update

Hopefully that will fix it for you.

Kind regards

raindogxx
February 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM
That solved my problem.

Thanks very much for your help.

raindogxx
February 18th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I prematurely listed this as solved as I did receive some updates after making the changes recommended by matt_symes.

Since those updates I've been getting the following error when I run update manager:

"Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.slimdevices.com_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'"

I also get these errors when I run Synaptic Package Manager:

"E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.slimdevices.com_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Last time I was able to get Package Manager to open it said the definitions were last updated 276 days ago.

Thanks

mörgæs
February 18th, 2013, 02:19 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2078996

Googling the error message is normally the fastest way of getting a solution.

Besides, 11.10 is soon running out of support. You should consider a fresh install of 12.10.