PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Install lubuntu 12.10 with VNC desktop only

CootCraig
February 11th, 2013, 09:35 PM
What I'm trying to accomplish is a lubunto 12.10 desktop box that can boot without a monitor and puts the graphical desktop on VNC.
I have a Dell Inspiron 560 that I want to put in my company's data center and use it remotely.

I have a standard xorg install working so a way to replace xorg with a VNC server is fine. Again, the real problem is I want to boot without a monitor and access the LXDE desktop from remote.

ahallubuntu
February 11th, 2013, 10:31 PM
~

CootCraig
February 12th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Have you tried simply installing Ubuntu desktop (or Lubuntu, whatever) and accessing it remotely on your local network? First, try it with a monitor. If that works, try without.

I did install the desktop and then was able to ssh x forward using xephyr, but I had some issues.
1) Slower than I liked
2) I could not get the X forwarding to work without the Xorg desktop running.

I really don't want to put a monitor on a remote machine.

ahallubuntu
February 12th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I did install the desktop and then was able to ssh x forward using xephyr, but I had some issues.
1) Slower than I liked
2) I could not get the X forwarding to work without the Xorg desktop running.

I really don't want to put a monitor on a remote machine.

It's true, remote VNC/desktop sharing isn't going to be very fast over a network. I've gotten used to that, however. I don't use remote servers for anything display-intensive. I often set the color depth back to 8 bits - lousy color but faster transfer/display refresh. I generally use the desktop for easier remote administration via Gui (instead of say Webmin) and for what I do, it has worked well for me.

You might try this: heard good things, never tried it myself. I assume it will work in Ubuntu:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FreeNX