PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on MacBook Pro + First Boot Fail on PC

Pirschjaeger
February 10th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hi All,

just wanted to tell you about a bit of a problem I'd had until just recently.

Background: I bought a MacBook Pro 9,2 (i7 2600k/8Gb RAM/NVidia 4k?) a couple weeks ago. For 2 years my Mac fan friend had been trying to convince me to try a Mac. Honestly, I've always liked the hardware, especially the cases and bodies. But why pay for an OS when Linux always does the trick? Upon buying the MacBook I soon found it frustrating and difficult to use. It's not at all intuitive. I gave it a week but still found myself not being able to accomplish the simplest of tasks.

I decided to give up and install Ubuntu. First I tried the LiveCd. No go. Then I tried the LiveUSB. No go. Then I asked Google and was directed to rEFIt. Sweet, it gave me a boot window. Windows 7 installed flawlessly. Then I tried Ubuntu LiveCD. No go. Then Ubuntu LiveUSDB. No go.Finally I gave up and decided it was best to simply reinstall Mountain Lion back to its original state. Unfortunately you don't get a CD or DVD to reinstall your MacOS. Instead you have to do an install over the net. No prob, right? Sure, but it said it would take 83 hours.

Yes, my net is fine.

Solution: Quite by mistake, I found the solutuon. I figured I'd ask my Mac fan buddy to bring over a downloaded ML.dmg and reistall that way. Since I was doing this I decided I might as well get rid of the 750Gb mechanical HDD and throw in a 225Gb SSD I had kicking around. I'd forgotten I had install Ubuntu 12.04 on it using my 8 yr old Dell Vostro (still looks like new). When I booted up the MacBook to see if I could somehow access boot options, Ubuntu started. I couldn't believe my eyes. I figured it was too good to be true and that as soon as I signed in, it would be the end. Even more to my surprise, I signed in and it ran perfectly (imagine angels singing). My MacBook is amazing with Ubuntu only. It's that simple.

Solution in a nutshell: Just install Ubuntu on a drive that's in a cooperative machine. Then take the HDD and put it in the Mac. Just power up and wait. Don't be alarmed if it seems to be slow to boot. Mac, from my experience, is a slow starter.

First Boot Fail on PC: Finally I realised that this wasn't the first time this had happened. I built a pc for graphics and A/V editing.

i7 2600k
16Gb RAM
ASUS EN580GTX v-card
SSD HDD

When I tried to install Ubuntu I had absolutely no luck. Search Google. Like many others, the LiveCD and USB work but upon first boot, the mouse and keyboard freeze before we can finish signing in. I tried for weeks and even with the IRC help, no luck. Solution? Installed Ubuntu on my 4 yr old Toshiba laptop and modified the grub to 'nomodeset'. Put the HDD in my pc and it worked flawlessly.

Conclusion: I have to say that both the MacBook Pro and my pc + Ubuntu 12.04LTS are matches made in heaven. I am very happy with these. I hope this helps those who are as frustrated with MacOS, and/or first boot failures on pc, as I was.

BTW, I also bought an iPhone 5 a month ago and gave my Samsung GS2 to my wife. Frustration! I miss Android so much but I haven't found a jailbreak yet so my wife will trade with me and I'll have the GS2 back. Besides that, the iPhone seems to have been designed for small clammy hands, not large and dry. I can't wait for the Ubuntu OS for my Samsung.

blackbird34
February 10th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Sounds good.
Must remember your tip if I ever get my hands on a mac again (although by then they may explode if you even think of looking inside the case :D )
Here's your jailbreak:

JAILBREAK IOS 6.0 AND 6.1 DEVICES UNDER LINUX USING EVASI0N (http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/jailbreak-ios-60-and-61-devices-under.html)

Pirschjaeger
February 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the link Blackbird. My iPhone is now freed. Unfortunately a reply over at xda-developers told me I cannot install Android on iPhone.

Such is life. I'll give my wife the iPhone and get my GSII back. :D