PDA

View Full Version : How many distros have you used? And How long?

leeyee
July 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Hi guys,
I'd like to know how many distros have you used since you began with Linux, and what they are? I think most of us here are using Ubuntu now, then how long had you been with those bygone distros?

Here is mine:
I've been using Linux since mid-july 2005, and spent 7 months for Fedora4, 1 month for OpenSuse10.0. Now I'm on Ubuntu Dapper, it has been 4 months or so. I love it, very much!

Thanks for your replies!

slimdog360
July 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I started around the start of april this year with Ubuntu, I didnt love it so I installed Kubuntu to see what kde was like. Then I installed Mandrivia for about 10 minutes then came running back to Ubuntu.
Ive also just recently(a couple of days ago) installed FC5 on my laptop. Its alright but I dont like some aspects so Im changing back to Ubuntu tomorrow when I put a new hdd in it.
thats about it.

raldz
July 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM
1. Mandrake 9.2
2. Mandriva 2005
3. Ubuntu 5.04 /Kubuntu 5.04
4. SUSE 10.0
5. Ubuntu 5.10 /Kubuntu 5.10
5. MEPIS 3.4-3 (using it until now)
6. Fedora Core 5 (discontinued use last June 2006)
7. SUSE 10.1 (using it until now)
8. Ubuntu 6.06 /Kubuntu 6.06 (using and loving it)

and tried several other distros like PCLinuxOS, Kanotix, Knoppix, DSL, Xandros..

I've decided from the trend and ease of use to stick with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, MEPIS, and SUSE.. I'll be using this distros continously on different machines..

bruce89
July 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Mandrake 7.2 (test)
Ubuntu 4.10
Ubuntu 5.04
Ubuntu 5.10
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

(as you can see, pretty faithful to Ubuntu)
I have also used the Kororaa XGL LiveCD for about 10 minutes for fun.

hard_i
July 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
1. Suse 9.x - First distro, January 2005 - lasted about 2 days
2. End of january, tried Debian. Lasted about a week.
Then tried Ubuntu 4.10 .. and so it began >
3. Ubuntu 5.04
4. Ubuntu 5.10
5. Ubuntu 6.06

richbarna
July 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hi guys,
I'd like to know how many distros have you used since you began with Linux, and what they are? I think most of us here are using Ubuntu now, then how long had you been with those bygone distros?

Here is mine:
I've been using Linux since mid-july 2005, and spent 7 months for Fedora4, 1 month for OpenSuse10.0. Now I'm on Ubuntu Dapper, it has been 4 months or so. I love it, very much!

Thanks for your replies!

Hi leeyee,
You might find this interesting :-
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208040

leeyee
July 8th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Hehe...yes, really interesting!
It seems that there are only 5 main distros for us:
Debian, Gentoo, LFS, Slackware and RedHat.

John T. Monkey
July 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I started out using SUSE 9.1 Personal on my main computer, That install lasted nearly 2 years.
On a laptop I tried SUSE 9.1, 9.3, and 10,
Xandros 3, (lasted out 2 months)
Mandriva 2005, (3 weeks)
Fedora Core 3 (1 week - I didn't really like that one)

Then I tried Ubuntu for 1 week, and thought it was great but decided I prefer KDE so I installed Kubuntu. I've been using it for 3 weeks and I have no plans to change it again. :)

stimpack
July 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM
During Uni we usede Solaris (*i think*, they were sun workstations), which I liked so at home I installed Redhat 7.

Pretty much Redhat untill Mepis about a year ago, then Kubuntu.

v8YKxgHe
July 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
On my quest to find a nice Linux distro I tried these:

1.Mandrake
2.SuSE 9 ( I think )
3.Vector Linux
4.Arch Linux
5.MEPIS

Then I found K/Ubuntu, such a great distro
6.Kubuntu 5.04
7.Ubuntu 5.10

Then I tried FC5 just to see what it was like
8.Fedora Core 5

And now 6.06 when i'm not doing Graphics works ( Autodesk's 3DS Max keeps me tied to XP! )
9.Ubuntu 6.06

Edit: Can't remember how long each, maybe a week on and off.

zenwhen
July 8th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Slackware for two years, Fedora for 4 months, Slackware for nine months, Ubuntu for two years. (in that order)

bionicyeti
July 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
The very first linux I tried was Caldera, for about a day when a co-worker suggested Debian. Moved from Debian to Ubuntu and thats it. I still run straight Debian as on my webserver.

I don't see myself leaving Ubuntu and I really don't see myself ever leaving a non-debian based distro.

mips
July 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I don't see myself leaving Ubuntu and I really don't see myself ever leaving a non-debian based distro.

Is that what you ment ? You won't leave ubuntu or any other distro that is NOT debian based. So in essance you won't leave any distro besides debian with the exclusion of ubuntu...

Dr. Nick
July 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Mandrake 8,8.1
Redhat 9
Debian
Mandriva 10
Warty
Ubuntu 5.04
Fedora Core 3 or 4 for a day
Back to Ubuntu 5.04
Breezy
Suse 9,10
Breezy Again
Now Dapper and considering going into Edgy soon as
Ive always gone into the next testing ver since hoary

The above have been on different computers, Suse and Breezy on my laptop (may it RIP)
I would try a distro on my desktop since it was faster, If i liked it I put it on my laptop, in hopes of getting the hardware to work better. I eventually just stuck with ubuntu and made it work instead of getting every other distro and hoping it would work out of the box.

I just like to jump around looking for a good distro, always came back to Ubuntu and dont see myself leaving any time soon

MethodOne
July 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I'll list my distros and why I'm not using the previous distros.

On my hand-me-down box:
-DSL for a week (experimenting)
-Fedora Core 4 for a week (experimenting)
-DSL for a week (experimenting)
-Fedora Core 4 for a week (too slow)
-DSL for a week (wanted to run something bigger)
-Xandros for three weeks (didn't interest me)
-Ubuntu Hoary for a day (upgraded)
-Ubuntu Breezy for 5 months (upgraded)
-Currently using Ubuntu Dapper since the end of March.

On my old Compaq laptop
-DSL (poorman's install while having Windows 98 installed)
-Red Hat 9 (too slow)
-DSL (many upgrades)
-Red Hat 7.2 (too many errors)
-DSL (many upgrades)
-Ubuntu Lite Dapper (too big)
-DSL (will perform a regular hard drive install when I have time because I didn't like the frugal install)

On my newer laptop
-Ran numerous live CDs and some didn't display at 1680x1050
-Will install Kubuntu on it once I get an iMac.

K.Mandla
July 9th, 2006, 04:54 AM
I like distro-hopping.

DSL for a few days, while testing an ancient P1 laptop;
FC5 for a few days, until I got tired of yum and the sluggishness;
Xandros for about 15 minutes, until I saw it was KDE by default and looked almost exactly like WinXP;
Vector Linux for a few hours, but eventually realized it wasn't doing anything Xubuntu couldn't;
Zenwalk for about 15 minutes ... I liked the XFCE default, but it couldn't find my NIC;
Slackware for a day or two, while working with a stubborn wireless problem;
PC-BSD for about an hour, but it couldn't find the NIC and kept crashing when I tried to help it;
Kororaa for a day, but it seemed easier to build the XGL desktop with Dapper Flight 4.

The only ones that have had staying power are Dapper/Edgy and Arch. I like Arch for the simplicity and speed, but I like Dapper because ... it just works.

der_joachim
July 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I'm getting old:

- RedHat 5.1 in 1997/1998
- SuSE 6.1 (which I really liked. I kept breeking things, because it would not get bad as Windows did)
- Slackware 8.0
- Mandrake 8.0, 8.1 and 10.0
- Gentoo 2004.2 IIRC
- Debian 3.0 and 3.1
- Kubuntu 5.04 up to 6.06

I may have forgotten one or two, but that's about it. :)

leeyee
July 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hi, to be honest, I hardly met people online was using RedHat less than RH9.0! You are certainly an experienced person I think! Thanks for your reply!
BTW: I'm a REALLY fan of Netherlands Royal Football Team! And you?

benplaut
July 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM
SuSE (9.0, maybe?) - 2 months
Ubuntu 4.10-6.06 - 1 year, a few months
Arch Linux - 1 month

Wolki
July 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Mandrake 9.2 to Mandriva 2005
A few weeks on Gentoo in late 2004/early 2005
Ubuntu since Warty, maybe January or February.

Ran them in parallel for a while, stopped doing that shortly after Hoary came out as my hard drive crashed and I was too lazy to install the others again (plus, I need the disk space :)).

der_joachim
July 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Hi, to be honest, I hardly met people online was using RedHat less than RH9.0! You are certainly an experienced person I think! Thanks for your reply!

Naaahhh! I'm not *that* experienced. I'm just getting old. ;) Actually, I still have a RH51 server somewhere at work though. Never had the time to upgrade that one.

BTW: I'm a REALLY fan of Netherlands Royal Football Team! And you?

I'm not a real football fan really. I did not like to see them lose against that thrice-damned referee, but even if they *had* won against Portugal, they probably would not have reached the semi-finals. Our national coach did a good job though.

Brunellus
July 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM
SuSE 9.1 Personal... ~2-3 months?

Then, more or less continuously:

Ubuntu 4.10 "Warty Warthog"
Ubuntu 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog"
Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake"

while concurrently (for short bursts and "away" sessions using

DamnSmallLinux
SLAX

gruvsyco
July 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I don't remember exact versions...

Started with Slack around 94 or 95, billion disk download, took forever to get via 14.4. I think it was either a late 1.x or early 2.x don't remember.
I think my next distro was redhat. Not sure of the version but I eventually purchased the boxed 4 and 5.
Then came Mandrake, on and off for a while.
I think the next version I actually ran with was Ubuntu Hoary... towards the end of the cycle, then Breezy. Now I'm on Dapper.

Prior to the Release of Win2K, my PC OS was almost exclusively Linux, I think I used 95 for a little while, mainly to download Slackware. But since 2K, I've been fairly satisfied with that as a main OS and have taken to experimenting with diferent Linux distros for fun. At one point or another, I've tried: Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu, SuSE, Debian, Kororaa, Gentoo, Yellow Dog, Caldera, Mepis... I'm sure I've forgotten some.

daveadams
July 10th, 2006, 08:57 PM
My first Linux install was Slackware in September of 1995. Mainly because it was the only (if memory serves) distribution you could use via downloaded floppy disk images. I ran that for a couple of years, then stopped using Linux for a long while, trying Red Hat and Debian on and off. I loved Linux but it was never feasible to use for work.

Then a couple of years ago I had reason to start playing with Linux at work, and I got hooked on Fedora, starting with Core 3, then 4. I played with 5 a little bit, but two months ago I got a new job that's all Linux administration. Researching the field, I decided Ubuntu was the best choice, and so I've switched my home PC and work PC over to Dapper. I'm so pleased with the switch that I'm thinking of moving my work laptop over as well, if I can be sure my wireless, VPN, and power management stuff is going to work correctly.

T700
July 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I think my first was Red Hat 5.x back in 1998 or 99. Since then, various versions of Red Hat/Fedora, SuSe, Mandrake/Mandriva, DSL, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

I feel old.

Paul

xXx 0wn3d xXx
July 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I used Ubuntu for 7 months. I then tried SuSE, Gentoo, Arch, and Debian over the course of a few weeks (I didn't really like any of them except Arch and SuSE). Now I am running Archlinux. It is the only linux distribution on my HDD. I find it to be lightweight, fast, and easy-to-use. I have used it for about a month and I plan to continue using it until I come across something better and I will dual boot with Edgy when it comes out.

deadgobby
July 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Started with Linspire 4.5 it came with the PC installed. Used it about serval months. FC3 for serval months, Suse 9.3 and up for a good while, and Ubie for a year now. Dual boot with Suse and Ubie. Did not like mandriva.

bionicyeti
July 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Is that what you ment ? You won't leave ubuntu or any other distro that is NOT debian based. So in essance you won't leave any distro besides debian with the exclusion of ubuntu...

:oops: I guess I meant, I don't see myself ever running a non-debian based linux.

deadgobby
July 11th, 2006, 12:15 AM
:oops: I guess I meant, I don't see myself ever running a non-debian based linux.
I think it may be best that you should try different distro's. Like Suse is a very good linux O/S. You have choice of Gnome or KDE as the desktop envio. You can install ALL of the libaries and packages on your HDD if you wish. Installing programs in Suse is very simple. YAST is one of the best things Suse has. ;)

daniel of sarnia
July 11th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Well it all started when I was a young boy of about six years old...

first DOS, then windows 3.1. In grade school I used some sort of Mac OS. I'm not sure which number it was but it ran on this box with only a small black and white screen. Then at home my father and I used windows 95, then 98 and that was for a number of years. Around that time we started to use OS 9 on IMac's the school got. One day my Father installed windows ME, and the same day we removed it and went back to windows 98. A while after that my father installed windows 2000 pro, and I must admit for a while everything was good (to this day I think it was the best thing windows ever released). Then we got windows XP pro at home, just after that I started high school. which is where I first touched a mac OS I did not hate.

then, my renaissance.
One day at home watching a TV program, The Screen Savers. A young man came on to talk about a live cd, this man Kevin Rose, The distro PHLACK. And as I know now, not really a distro meant for the n00b, let alone day to day desktop use. I was young, and did not know any better. At the time not really knowing what to do with PHLACK I quickly got bored of it. Then a some months passed where I gave up on Linux going back to xp. One day my father joined a darts club at the local bar. This is where he came to meet a no good friend also into computer tech. Our friend himself not knowing much about Linux told me about I user friendly distro he had read about, Xandros 2.0. This once more sparked my interest, buy this time I was about 14 year. the hole xandros experience was fun but still knowing little about Linux I was constantly switching between windows and Linux. then I tried linspire 4.5, continually switching between windows and Linux. the list goes as follows: Xandros 3.0; ubuntu 5.04; FC 4; linspire 5; ubuntu 5.10; Debian 3.1; KNOPPIX 4; VLOS; OpenLab and Vector I forget what number. All the while still not really understanding how anything worked or how to get 3d and media to work, and thus booting between windows xp and whatever distro I had ruining.

Then, my second renaissance.
I had found a distro that played my media file and ran Unreal 2004 without lifting a finger it was Mepis 3.2. For the first time in my life I formatted windows off my hard drive and never went back. upgrading each Mepis release up to 3.4 I had been using Mepis for over a year and loved it. But as time went on I understood more and more of the inner workings of the OS and how to use Linux bash. finally having a better understanding of how to install and configure things like video drivers and media codecs I was not so dependent on Mepis to do it all for me. I started to look at how well the Kubunto project was coming along, and what I envy most was the the large community around ubuntu. Just the number of people made the amount of support and how-to guides I could find much larger then what I could ever find for smaller destros. also searching the forum it amazed me how kind everyone was to each other I had never seen anything like it in any other forum anywhere on the net. The work on dapper was just starting to ramp up but was still fare from done. That's when I installed Kubuntu 5.10, and upon the release of flight 6 of dapper I installed it and have never felt more at home ever since. I now run my desktop, laptop and server on kubuntu. Since then I have also tried vista Beta 2; Solaris; FC5; suse 10.1; Mepis 6 bate; DSL and SLED on a second partition. But for me none compare to ubuntu dapper.

I see I have gone on a tangent, I sometimes do. I sometimes aspire to be a writer. but in summery. the OS' I've used are as follows...

DOS; windows 3.1; mac OS something pre 9; windows 95; windows 98; Mac OS 9; windows 2000 pro; windows XP pro; PHLAK; Xandros 2; linspire 4.5; Xandros 3.0; ubuntu 5.04; FC 4; linspire 5; ubuntu 5.10; Debian 3.1; KNOPPIX 4; VLOS; OpenLab; Vector; Mepis 3.2; Mepis 3.3; Mepis 3.4; Kubuntu 6.06; vista Beta 2; Solaris; FC5; suse 10.1; Mepis 6 bate; DSL and SLED.

Although a number of Cd's were unfortunately lost in the process, it was all worth it, and I'm never going back to Microsoft.

j3zmund
July 11th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I started with Red Hat 5.something in 1999 that came with a book I purchased.
I then lived 1 full year with SuSe for 2001 for all personal computing (employer had a different agenda). Since then, I've rotated and experimented with Red Hat & Fedora (2 years before giving up on them), Mandrake/Mandriva (1 week), SUSE (always kept going back to SUSE), Vector (3 months), DSL(great on ancient pcs, but couldn't live with it full time), PCLinuxOS MiniME (which is awesome on not-so-old hardware), Xubuntu/Kubuntu, and a few specialty distro's (musix, gparted, etc).

I just like to tinker with new stuff. 7 years of linux, and it's gotten so much better.

RAV TUX
July 11th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Hi guys,

Here is mine:

Thanks for your replies!

Linux Distros that I have tried, too many to count...is there a distro clinic? LDA?

fluffington
July 11th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Here's a rough history of what's been on my hard drives:

Mac OS 4 (1990?)
Mac OS 5
MS-DOS & Windows for Workgroups
MS-DOS & Windows 95 (1996)
MS-DOS (Windows killed by hard drive crash)
Mandrake
Debian
MS-DOS & Windows 98 (1998)
MS-DOS (Another hard drive crash) (1999)
Windows XP (2002)
Windows XP & Debian (2003)
Windows XP & SUSE (2004)
Windows XP & Knoppix (2004)
Windows XP & Ubuntu Warty (2004)
Windows XP & Ubuntu Hoary (2005)
Ubuntu Hoary (Yet another hard drive crash)
Windows XP & Ubuntu Breezy (October 2005)
Windows XP & Kubuntu Breezy (November 2005)
Windows XP & Kubuntu Dapper (June 2006)
Kubuntu Dapper (Windows killed by me) (June 2006)

Compucore
July 11th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I went went from Slackware 3.4 to slackware 3.5, Then over to Red hat 5.X from learning linux for dummies. Then over to version 7.1 in 2001. And made my thing with ubuntu 5.04-6.06. Short and sweet. And you can imagine running a 40 meg version of linux on a 386 system within only 8 megs of ram and that was including the guifor it too. But no apps like what we have today though.

Compucore

fluffington
July 11th, 2006, 01:38 AM
And you can imagine running a 40 meg version of linux on a 386 system within only 8 megs of ram and that was including the guifor it too.

I was running Windows 95 on a setup like that. It was more responsive than Windows XP Pro ever was with a 3GHz CPU and 2GB RAM. It came with better games, too.

mduran
July 11th, 2006, 02:31 AM
2000 - 2001 (Mandrake - Redhat)
2002 - 2004 (Debian Sid)
2004-10 ... (Ubuntu 4.10, 5.04, 5.10, 6.06 ...)

2006 (under qemu win98, win2000, winxp, ubuntu edgy, only for test).

leeyee
July 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Here's a rough history of what's been on my hard drives:

Mac OS 4 (1990?)
Mac OS 5
MS-DOS & Windows for Workgroups
MS-DOS & Windows 95 (1996)
MS-DOS (Windows killed by hard drive crash)
Mandrake
Debian
MS-DOS & Windows 98 (1998)
MS-DOS (Another hard drive crash) (1999)
Windows XP (2002)
Windows XP & Debian (2003)
Windows XP & SUSE (2004)
Windows XP & Knoppix (2004)
Windows XP & Ubuntu Warty (2004)
Windows XP & Ubuntu Hoary (2005)
Ubuntu Hoary (Yet another hard drive crash)
Windows XP & Ubuntu Breezy (October 2005)
Windows XP & Kubuntu Breezy (November 2005)
Windows XP & Kubuntu Dapper (June 2006)
Kubuntu Dapper (Windows killed by me) (June 2006)

It's a wow! I hardly meet somebody start with Mac-OS, but now I do have a OSX like theme with my Dapper. I think OSX is designed by artists and for artists as well.:-D

aha2006
July 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
1) Redhat Linux 6.0 - 1 year (my undergrad thesis depended on this)
2) Zenwalk 2.1 - few months on my Thinkpad X20 labtop (my wife wanted her Micro$oft Office and international languages support back)
3) Ubuntu 5.10 - Few months (not quite there yet)
4) Arch Linux 7.1 - 1 week (pacman is great but no success with xgl)
5) Gentoo 2006.0 - 3 days (after spending 1 night to compile X and Gnome, I realized it was not worth it).
6) SLED 10.1 beta - well organized but xgl refuses to work, update problem and no support)
7) Ubuntu Dapper - 1 week and counting... Everything I need is here including game. Xgl and Compiz work like a charm. Plus my wife is now pretty OK with SCIM and multilingua support of Dapper. I put Windows in a seperate HDD and will boot it only when I need to access IE-exclusive websites :)
8)...And a lot of LiveCDs (GeeXbox and Knoppix are my favorites).

parkash
July 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Okay, my memory isn't at its best... So I'll just state which ones have I used:
1. RedHat 8
2. Gentoo (since 2003... It was 1.4 I think)
3. Crux
4. K/Ubuntu Hoary, Breezy, Dapper
5. Suse 8.2, 10, 10.1
6. SourceMage 1.1(ppc), 0.9.6 (x86)
7. Rubyx (for not too long)
8. Kanotix 2005-r14 or sth like that
9. Xandros
10. PC-BSD (I know... non-linux)
11. Mac OS X (Jaguar & Panther) (IDEM)
12. VLOS 1.1, 1.2
13. Foresight (don't really remember the version)
14. Solaris 9, 10

and... that's all... I think :s

--edit... I didn't put windows because I've used them all and don't find it relevant

Shrindi
July 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Let's see...

Xandros
Fedora Core 2
Fedora Core 3
Ubuntu Warty Warthog
Debian Sarge (from testing stage to stable)
Ubuntu Dapper
Currently messing with Xubuntu just to see what it's like. It's great so far.

Postino
July 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I don't remember how long I used each... it's been a while. but the list in no particular order is:

MS-DOS v2 -> 6

Windows 3.0

Windows for Workgroups

OS/2

Windows 95

Slackware

Redhat

Mandrake (Mandriva)

Lindows (Linspire)

Windows 98, SE

Windows ME (bleh)

Windows NT

Windows XP

Mac OS

SuSe

Knoppix

Kubuntu

Ubuntu

Fedora

Solaris

Mepis 6.0 rc3

I'm sure I forgot a few others... I seem to have settled with Kubuntu 6.06 for the time being. Over the years, installation has become rather easy. I remember when I had to mess with LiLo to dual boot. Once I had Redhat, MSDOS, Win 95 and OS/2 on the same computer. Now, I don't keep more than two at a time. Makes things simpler.
If only I could get my webcam working, I will remove Windows completely.

simon_is_learning
July 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Started out a half year ago, KNOPPIX to check if my hardwara would be avle to run linux...
Then i read about many distros before testing (x)ubuntu breezy.
Satisfied but couldn't accept that it would be the only good distro for my old laptop.
The i tested DSL
then VL.
Then backto xubuntu

then i bought a 667Mhz 128mb ram
started with xubuntu
but then the lust for optimization kicked in
tested gentoo... for an hour :)
installed Arch - fast but not so stable
installed Zenwalk - super satisfied (slackware based and XFCE4.4beta1)

so now im a Zenwalk/Xubuntu user

ubuntu has a loong startup time compared to zenwalk but a better package managment system, but now i compile the stuff i need anyway.

but ubuntu was a great startup distro, one day i maybe will use LFS...

AndyCooll
July 16th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Well Ive been through most versions of Windows (95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP). I bought my first home computer in 1997 and it had Win98 on it, and at work we use Win2K at the moment.

I've been using Linux since June 2005 and I started off with Fedora Core 3 and then 4. I used that for a couple of months. I then switched to Ubuntu and have been using this ever since (Hoary, Breezy and now Dapper). I have a server, 2 other boxes and a laptop and all are currently running Dapper. This house is Linux only, and I'm currently very happy with Ubuntu.
Who knows what the future holds (apart from the fact that I know I won't be going back to *******), but at the moment I have no plans to change distro.

Although I have no plans to change, I do like to loook at other distros. And I used to use one of those two boxes as a "test" pc for this purpose, but since VMware became free I've used that instead. So, I've got images of Debian, SUSE, Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware, OpenBSD, ReactOS and Minix.

:cool:

sjenks1
July 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
My My.. I must be getting old

NETBSD - 1.2 about 95 ish.. (PC/Amiga versions)
Free BSD V4 - V6 (on Sparc and X86) - Still using
Solaris 9 & 10 (on an Ultra 60) - Still Using
Solaris 8 (on an Ultra 10) - LOL the Ultra 10 died of old age, it was also quite jealous of the competition..
Slackware 4 - 10 - Still have a 486 around with this on somewhere
Redhat 5 - Fedora 4 - Gave up on this due to lack of time to run so many boxes...
Suse 7.3 - 9.2 - Same as fedora plus I found Ubuntu for my main desktop....

Ive installed, tested just about every other distro out there.. (for fun)

Im now using Ubuntu 5.10 for my main desktop.. plus Solaris..Free BSD..Slackware.. for servers, development and testing boxes...

I do have a Windows 2K machine, that I think gets switched on about once a month or less for testing bits of code & software....

leeyee
July 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Aha...How do you guys think of Gentoo? I read it from a book and it looks not bad.

der_joachim
July 19th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Aha...How do you guys think of Gentoo? I read it from a book and it looks not bad.

I like the idea. I like tweaking. It would be a great distro for me. Except that I tried it and reinstalled Debian as fast as I could. I had too many issues just trying to get a working desktop and had neither the time nor the inclination to try to fix them.

Boomy
July 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I've used Mandrake, Redhat, and Xandros before, but only for a short time becuase they all broke, or were too dumbed down to really do anything with. Mandrake was really bloated, there were like a dozen web browsers installed by default! And it was buggy as a mofo.

Ptero-4
July 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
In my computers I have used:

Old iBook,
MacOS 8.5
MacOS 9
LinuxPPC 2k Q4
YellowDog Linux 2

eMac G4,
MacOS X 10.3.9
Ubuntu 5.04
Ubuntu 5.10