PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing fail

daydaystech
February 9th, 2013, 02:56 AM
hi so i downloaded and burned ubuntu 12.10 and was trying to install it on a older computer and i get this. now im running on 2gig of ddr2 ram intel dual core and a 150 gig hard drive

offgridguy
February 9th, 2013, 03:10 AM
hi so i downloaded and burned ubuntu 12.10 and was trying to install it on a older computer and i get this. now im running on 2gig of ddr2 ram intel dual core and a 150 gig hard driveI suggest trying another download and
burn another CD. You may just have a bad copy.

papibe
February 9th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Hi daydaystech. Welcome to the forums ):P

I'm afraid that error may indicate a hard disk problem.

I'd suggest using the installation media as a Live CD/USB to check and maybe repair your disk.

Unfortunately, the last couple of times I've seen this, it has meant that the hard drive is dying.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
Regards.

daydaystech
February 9th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Hi daydaystech. Welcome to the forums ):P

I'm afraid that error may indicate a hard disk problem.

I'd suggest using the installation media as a Live CD/USB to check and maybe repair your disk.

Unfortunately, the last couple of times I've seen this, it has meant that the hard drive is dying.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
Regards.
i had windows xp on it and worked fine where can i get the live cd? im new to this os, im trying to make a media server computer

type4corp
February 9th, 2013, 04:10 AM
This is indication of hard drive failure, if you access to another source to the web i would look into trying something like Ubuntu rescue disk try force a error check or download a new iso which could be a issue and check it's md5sum sometime these errors will botch a whole install. But i know it's a hard drive problem. yet i am no professional just like you i am new to ubuntu

papibe
February 9th, 2013, 04:31 AM
The Ubuntu installation CD has an option "Try Ubuntu". That it'll take you to the desktop running of the CD. That is what we called Live media.

I think that the Lubuntu CD has that option too.

Regards.

daydaystech
February 9th, 2013, 05:22 AM
ok so i installed a new hard drive and seen better results but still somthing was effy so i messed around a bit and i had a feeling it was my onborad video was the prioblem so i found a 8800gt video card laying around installed it and insert my ubuntu disk and right now im in the middle of installing files from it so far so good ill let you guys know how it gos.