PDA

View Full Version : is this app idea possible?

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Hi

I'm a University student. The varsity allocates about 3gigs of data per month for each student. My friends normally finish their data before the end of the month and hassle me for mine.

The thing is --- we each have passwords. The problem I have is that they want me to give them my password. You might think --- it's not a big deal since you can change it.

The problem however is that I cannot recycle my passwords as with the university password system -- you cannot change your password to a previous one for security reasons.

I've been meaning to build an app that can create a temp. password for my account.
Is this possible and how would one go about doing it?

Regards

r-senior
February 9th, 2013, 01:13 AM
You should already have a password generator called apg that generates strong passwords:

$ apg

Please enter some random data (only first 16 are significant)
(eg. your old password):>
Felbyet2 (Felb-yet-TWO)
OthOmmuIpOs8 (Oth-Om-mu-Ip-Os-EIGHT)
ojDaffyab8 (oj-Daff-yab-EIGHT)
yedguAjnot8 (yed-gu-Aj-not-EIGHT)
ErfLckFam8 (Erf-Lck-Fam-EIGHT)
madBirb4 (mad-Birb-FOUR)

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I don't want to just generate passwords.

I want to generate TEMPORARY passwords for a specific account!

SuperCamel
February 9th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I don't want to just generate passwords.

I want to generate TEMPORARY passwords for a specific account!

How will passwords be set? Will the password expire and change after a period of time? You say you can't recycle passwords so the password can't be reset to what it was originally, right?

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 02:48 PM
How will passwords be set? Will the password expire and change after a period of time? You say you can't recycle passwords so the password can't be reset to what it was originally, right?

1. Will the password expire and change after a period of time?

Yes!

2. You say you can't recycle passwords so the password can't be reset to what it was originally, right?

Yes It can't. Is it not possible to create an additional password --- then one would have the original password and a temp. one

3. How will passwords be set?

I don't know the specifics yet. That's what I'm tryng to figure out

4. Will the password expire and change after a period of time?

Yes.

trent.josephsen
February 9th, 2013, 03:10 PM
That's a pretty reasonable set of requirements. Assuming you have a secure PC that can run this program on a schedule, or whenever you want it to run, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out the specifics.

I imagine your university has a Web page that you go to in a browser to change your password. Ideally, all you need to do is look at the source of that page and see where and how it sends the data, then create a program that does the same thing the browser does, but automatically. You'll almost certainly want to use HTTPS, which does make it a little more complicated, but not too much. You'll need some background in HTML and a basic understanding of HTTP(S), plus whatever language you decide to use.

Perl is my go-to language for... well, most things, really, so I'd probably look into doing it with the WWW::Mechanize module (which I've never used before, so I could be going down the wrong track entirely, but it's a place to start).

One thing you could do is use your "old" password as a base password, and add one or two characters to it to create a new, "unique" but still easily remembered password. Like if your current password is foobar2700, you could have your app generate passwords like foobar2700_aQ and foobar2700_3p. You could even have it text the new ending (aQ or 3p or whatever) to your phone whenever it changes, so you can always know the password without ever divulging the whole thing. (That last depends on your cell carrier.) That saves you the trouble of remembering a whole new password every time it gets "reset".

Cheesemill
February 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Also bear in mind that it is probably against your University's network terms and conditions to let anyone else use your account.

If it is then I wouldn't even think about trying this out as the repercussions could be serious.

The first thing you should do is check with IT support at your University, they may suggest a simple solution such as actually transferring your balance to a different account.

As to your original question if you can't currently reuse an old password then there is no way of getting round this on your end. You would be able to write a program that changed your password to a temporary one for a certain amount of time before changing it again, but you still wouldn't be able to change your password back to one that had already been used.

KdotJ
February 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Maybe your friends should just be more careful with their data?

I agree with Cheesemill that this is probably against your University's rules and not worth the trouble.

Habitual
February 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Easy answer, keep your password.

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Also bear in mind that it is probably against your University's network terms and conditions to let anyone else use your account.

If it is then I wouldn't even think about trying this out as the repercussions could be serious.

The first thing you should do is check with IT support at your University, they may suggest a simple solution such as actually transferring your balance to a different account.

As to your original question if you can't currently reuse an old password then there is no way of getting round this on your end. You would be able to write a program that changed your password to a temporary one for a certain amount of time before changing it again, but you still wouldn't be able to change your password back to one that had already been used.

I contacted the IT people regarding this matter. I'm waiting for their response.

Are you sayin' there's no way of creating an additional password to an account?
I don't want to write a script that will basically change my password and change it back after a period of time.

I want to create an additional temporary password as that will not require me to know the temp. password to access my account during the period where the temp. password is valid.

KdotJ
February 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
So basically you want two passwords to for the same account. Just say to your IT guys "My friends want to use my data allowance, can you grant secondary access to my account please?" .. and see what they say. Maybe they will just sort that out easily for you.

Just out of interest, why can't they use your normal password that you use?

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Just out of interest, why can't they use your normal password that you use?

'Coz they'll do all sorts of wicked stuff like check my results if they know my password.
The university has this central password system so you basically use one password for almost every service they have.

So basically you want two passwords to for the same account. Just say to your IT guys "My friends want to use my data allowance, can you grant secondary access to my account please?" .. and see what they say. Maybe they will just sort that out easily for you.

Even if they say OK --- I don't want my friends to access my account whenever they feel like it.

KdotJ
February 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Ok I'm a little confused....

If the one password is used to access all systems... then won't this "temporary" password also have the same privileges? Are you trying to get a password set up that is only used for the data?

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 05:51 PM
It doesn't matter if it can access all the systems as long as it's temporary.
If it's only applicable for the data --- that would be better but that's not my primary concern.

I just want the password to be temporary --- that's the first concern.

KdotJ
February 9th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Ah right. Maybe I'm just really dense, but I don't see the difference between if it's temporary or not... it only takes a second for them to look at your results and know them.

Unfortunately I can't help you, but I think the best thing to do is wait until your IT guys get back to you as they may have a better solution. Good luck!

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Ah right. Maybe I'm just really dense, but I don't see the difference between if it's temporary or not... it only takes a second for them to look at your results and know them.

I don't want them to check my results before me at the end of the year. They can't do that without knowing my password. They'll only need a temp. password during the year hence I don't have to worry.

KdotJ
February 9th, 2013, 06:07 PM
So give them your current password... then just change it before results time

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
So give them your current password... then just change it before results time

LOL What would be the point of havin' a password then?

I don't want them to access my account when they feel like it. I think you're forgettin' that if I do that --- they can use my data whenever they want to.

KdotJ
February 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I don't want them to access my account when they feel like it. I think you're forgettin' that if I do that --- they can use my data whenever they want to.

Ok, I'm following you now. So you would like to be able to give them access for say 3 hours on demand?

Let the IT guys sort it out, or get new friends who you trust and who would respect the fact you're giving them your data allowance.

LOL What would be the point of havin' a password then?

Exactly, maybe you need to think about that as well. You have a password for your account as it's yours, it's private.

I guess the only legitimate way to get around it, is just change the password every time they want to use your data, then change it to something new when they're done.

3v3rgr33n
February 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I guess the only legitimate way to get around it, is just change the password every time they want to use your data, then change it to something new when they're done.

Darn it!

I was really hoping to have to make an app. I'm juiced out of ideas --- I need a project to work on.

3v3rgr33n
February 11th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I will not be doin' the app. It is against the policies of the university.
Thanks to everyone who replied.