PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu won't install

wasmiddel
February 8th, 2013, 11:12 PM
hello,

im trying to install ubuntu 12.10 via wubi on my hp envy 6-1012ed, core i5, ati radeon hd 7670m. every time it reboots in ubuntu and after i click install inside windows my system will reboot into windows and do nothing. i also tried installing in by partitioning my hard drive but that doesnt work either. any tips?

type4corp
February 9th, 2013, 04:15 AM
To be Honest I have never used Wubi so that whole process is knew to me and strange But one thing i would look for is where your putting the linux partitions
and what's your boot entry look like cause grub should be listing both linux first then Windows

bcbc
February 10th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Is it because you already have 4 primary partitions? That's fairly common on HP computers. It's not entirely clear what you're doing so maybe add some more words.

wasmiddel
February 10th, 2013, 08:37 PM
i deleted one of the 4 primary partitions. so i now have 3, that shouldn't be a problem right?

darkod
February 10th, 2013, 08:45 PM
For installing inside windows you don't need to delete or create any partitions. It installs like a virtual machine on existing ntfs partitions.

What could happen is often in win7 you have to launch the wubi.exe with right-click, Run As Administrator so it has higher permissions. The UAC might block some things.

In any case, I would consider installing a proper ubuntu, not wubi inside windows.

cybrsaylr
February 10th, 2013, 09:35 PM
i deleted one of the 4 primary partitions. so i now have 3, that shouldn't be a problem right?

Correct it should install now.
I had the same problem awhile back, had 4 partitions and couldn't install Ubuntu. I eliminated an unneeded partition and Ubuntu installed with no problem.

FWIW I never liked WUBI because if something goes haywire with Windows you will also lose Ubuntu since it then runs inside of Windows. Just create a Linux partition and do a dual boot. Ubuntu will run fine on as little as 10GBs if you are pressed for space and you will have two independent OSs.

bcbc
February 11th, 2013, 03:36 AM

That should be fine. You can either shrink the main partition (C: ) from Windows, or let the Ubuntu installer do it. (I'm guessing that the partition you deleted won't be big enough for Ubuntu).

So if there's still a problem, post back on what happens.

PS I assume you're not installing Wubi as you mentioned you first tried to do a normal dual boot. If that's not correct, you should mention that (because not everyone is reading it that way).