PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xrandr makes nice big virtual desktop, ubuntu won't let me pan

madpraxis
February 8th, 2013, 04:14 AM
xrandr --fb 1280x1024 --output LVDS --mode 1280x800 --panning 1280x1024I do this in terminal. It works brilliantly and resizes the display...except I can't actually access the nice new happy space I have created off screen. This is making me sad inside when the little mouse cursor goes bonk against the physical limits of my screen and nothing happens other then me chanting 'pan pan pan'.

I wish for you all to help me so I'm not sad inside anymore. I wish to be happy inside.

So what do I have to do so I can actually do the panning part of..er...panning? I've tried looking up this problem on the great skynet except what information I do find either isn't answered, or is not really the problem and more concerned with doing what I had already done with xrandr, and even then people seem to be contradicting the advice others give (at least it seems that way).

Totally computer inept I guess, so the simpler the better (I still haven't gotten around to making ubuntu boot from hd instead of the install flash drive thinger...). I'm rather sure I'm forgetting some important information that is really really needed and will make it so someone wiser in the ways of ubuntu can solve my conundrum instantly, so feel free to not just ask, but demand more information...

So...uh...pimp my crappy dell second(fifth?)hand laptop...