PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for the snow?

fdrake
February 8th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Boston and the whole new englad will be hit hard from the snow storm tomorrow. Are you guys getting ready for it? I sthink there is to much "propaganda" about it. I was at the store today and it took me 2 hrs to get out from there!!

Autofac
February 8th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Even up here, our Canadian networks--who usually laugh at the US' overreaction to a bit of snow--are pretty serious about this.

Bonne chance!

Elfy
February 8th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not - that's all somewhere over there ...

vague wave of hand in a westerly direction ...

Frogs Hair
February 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Boston and the whole new englad will be hit hard from the snow storm tomorrow. Are you guys getting ready for it? I sthink there is to much "propaganda" about it. I was at the store today and it took me 2 hrs to get out from there!!

The Weather Chanel has had live reporting with meteorologists, yard sticks at the ready, reporting from Boston all night. It's important to remember they get paid. The storm has to be taken seriously.It's being compared to this storm in the way it is developing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxndRIsQJHw

eriktheblu
February 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Prepare in advance, then you don't have to deal with the craziness (crowding, panic, shortages, price gouging, etc.).

What everyone tries to buy at the last minute, I keep at least a month's worth on hand. It doesn't even snow here.

mips
February 8th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Will never ever snow here as long as I'm alive :)

superchar42
February 8th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Just finished shoveling 8" off the driveway.

fdrake
February 8th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Will never ever snow here as long as I'm alive :)

:p I used to say the samething untill I move here.

lisati
February 8th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'm not - that's all somewhere over there ...

vague wave of hand in a westerly direction ...

/me waves hand in a north-easterly direction.

Other than a downpour last week that flooded one of the roads I needed to navigate to tend to some errands, we've had sunny weather here for the last few weeks.

cariboo
February 8th, 2013, 10:06 PM
We've had snow on the ground here, since late November, it's all a matter of attitude more than anything else. We should be in for a couple of wet snowfalls before the end of the month that may total a couple of feet, then it's into March, the crummiest month of the year. :)

Peripheral Visionary
February 9th, 2013, 01:28 AM
I just changed my avatar to pay tribute to all you poor snowbound Ubuntuers up North.

We're having perfect beach wheelbarrow-racing weather down here in Florida.

It sounds like you all could use a few wheelbarrows up there in Boston where the streets are so narrow there's no place to put all the accumulated snow.

CK000
February 9th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Yes, I am always ready for the snow; not that it snows too much in my country..!

odiseo77
February 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM
No snow here in the tropics, so I guess I'm not ready :)

GameX2
February 9th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Even up here, our Canadian networks--who usually laugh at the US' overreaction to a bit of snow--are pretty serious about this.

Bonne chance!

Hey, are you from Québec?
Es-tu Québécois ? :D

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
February 9th, 2013, 03:18 AM

Bonne chance!
you should see what a quster inch does in the lower parts on Virginia in the us
i have seen schools close in anticipation of snow and we get none, and you dont want to know how bad drivers are around here
1/4 inch ~0.6cm of snow will shut the city down

JDShu
February 9th, 2013, 04:53 AM
It looks pretty impressive so far. The town told us to expect a few hours of power outage. Hopefully it's all just hype.

Asatru9
February 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'll be happy when the snow LEAVES! I'm looking forward to summertime :)

Why is it people don't bother doing any prepping? It's not like snow is something new to people in Maine or Vermont or the Northeast in general. I am hopeful casualties are nonexistent.

Nytram
February 9th, 2013, 08:08 PM
A little snow in my country and everyone panics.

The Russians know how to deal with it, chains on the tyres.

rrnbtter
February 9th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Greetings,

you should see what a quster inch does in the lower parts on Virginia in the us
i have seen schools close in anticipation of snow and we get none, and you dont want to know how bad drivers are around here
1/4 inch ~0.6cm of snow will shut the city down

I here in Galax, Va, we've already had a one footer. And a 1/16in freezing rain. Tell me! Whats the difference between a school bus going down a mountain on an inch of ice and a school bus going down a mountain on a 1/16 inch of ice. They must have found out the answer to that question around here because you are right they close the schools for any kind of ice at all. It doesn't make any sense unless it's your kids.

SeijiSensei
February 9th, 2013, 11:55 PM
I have yet to leave my house here in suburban Boston. I have about 24" (60 cm) of new snowfall plus the drifting that resulted from >50 mph (80 kph) winds. Boston's Logan Airport recorded gusts in the 75 mph range overnight; that's hurricane force.

Basically this storm's dynamics were very similar to Sandy. A large storm from the Midwest converged with another storm coming up the Atlantic coast. The counter-clockwise circulation of the Atlantic storm pulled moisture off the ocean and dropped it as snow. Lots of snow.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
February 10th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Greetings,

I here in Galax, Va, we've already had a one footer. And a 1/16in freezing rain. Tell me! Whats the difference between a school bus going down a mountain on an inch of ice and a school bus going down a mountain on a 1/16 inch of ice. They must have found out the answer to that question around here because you are right they close the schools for any kind of ice at all. It doesn't make any sense unless it's your kids.
i am on the right side of the map closer to the coast where there no mountains/large hills (with the exception of man made ones)

Sam Mills
February 10th, 2013, 04:30 AM
I have yet to leave my house here in suburban Boston. I have about 24" (60 cm) of new snowfall plus the drifting that resulted from >50 mph (80 kph) winds.

The place I used to live, Connecticut, got 38 inches. :shock: I'm in Atlanta now and today it was 60 degrees and sunny. :) I don't miss it at all.

Paqman
February 10th, 2013, 09:58 AM
The Russians know how to deal with it, chains on the tyres.

I've only ever used chains when going up in the mountains to ski, but they ain't exactly fun to drive on. Haven't tried snow socks though, they seem like a less teeth-rattling solution to the same problem.

QDR06VV9
February 10th, 2013, 06:16 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/09/16914027-boy-killed-by-carbon-monoxide-while-trying-to-keep-warm?lite

Couldnt Help pulling my Kleenex out for this one.
Tragic..