View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitions

alfirdaous
February 7th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Hello everybody

While installing Ubuntu System, I'd like to make 3 partitions:

+ System partition
+ Backup partition
+ Web partition

The hard disk size is 1TB, the web partition will have the largest size, Backup is only 50GB, which is the most convenient size for the system partition, in my local machine is only 10GB, so it becomes full at all time.

Thanks for your assistance

offgridguy
February 7th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Hello everybody

While installing Ubuntu System, I'd like to make 3 partitions:

+ System partition
+ Backup partition
+ Web partition

The hard disk size is 1TB, the web partition will have the largest size, Backup is only 50GB, which is the most convenient size for the system partition, in my local machine is only 10GB, so it becomes full at all time.

Thanks for your assistance
With the amount of disk space you have, why worry about size, it
can be as large as you want.

papibe
February 7th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Hi alfirdaous.

Usual recommendations for the system partition (root partition or /) for a desktop is anything between 15Gb to 25Gb.

However, things have change a little bit. Since the arrivals of gaming, including HIB and Steam, the requirements increase depending on how many games are you planing to install.

I would have not problem recommending you 50Gb, specially since you have extra room.

Let us know how it goes.
Regards.

alfirdaous
February 7th, 2013, 05:46 AM
thank you for your replies, well it is a web server, the / partition is for system only, upgrades and new installations will consume more space, I think 50 GB as papibe said will be good enough

Any suggestions, they will be pleased :)