PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu forums membership

ACubed10
February 6th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Is becoming a forum member a big deal? Just curious as to what all it entails. Yes, I've read the sticky above

CharlesA
February 7th, 2013, 02:30 AM
It isn't really a big deal, but it does have some perks and I believe those perks are outlined in the wiki page which is linked to in the sticky.

Are you asking how you apply to be an Ubuntu member through the forum, or do you have another question about it?

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 05:23 AM
It isn't really a big deal, but it does have some perks and I believe those perks are outlined in the wiki page which is linked to in the sticky.

Are you asking how you apply to be an Ubuntu member through the forum, or do you have another question about it?

no I was just hoping to see from other members if it's something to go after. I love Ubuntu and have been using it since 6.10 (on my second user account)

QIII
February 7th, 2013, 05:50 AM
It's only something to go for if you decide it is after you have been involved for a while. Like CharlesA said, it's not really such a big deal. It's not like getting ordained or earning a degree. It doesn't mean you have become an Ubuntu Jedi Master.

This is supposed to be fun.

Hang out for a while. Help out for a while. Then decide for yourself if it is something you are interested in. Don't sweat it!

Have fun and don't worry about it for a while. We'll be happy to have you if you decide you would like to pursue it.

(When I walk down the street, women don't swoon, point at me and say "Oh, he's an Ubuntu Member!")

sammiev
February 7th, 2013, 06:03 AM
It's fun just to be me. ):P Do what pleases you.

carl4926
February 7th, 2013, 06:21 AM
(When I walk down the street, women don't swoon, point at me and say "Oh, he's an Ubuntu Member!")
Darn... Just when I though it might be worth the move :-)

BTW: To include the word 'Member' and anything related to women is asking for trouble. But I don't make it.......

Sam Mills
February 7th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Is becoming a forum member a big deal?
It depends on your definition of "big deal".

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I mean I love hanging out here. Wouldn't be such a bad idea to make online relationships with people who have similar interests. I also like helping people if I can. I'm not the end all go to guy for troubleshooting ubuntu but I do know some of it. Maybe this is something I should do then. Join the club. Might have to start working on something

kevdog
February 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Chicks dig ubuntu forum memberships!! Just say something like that on the #ubuntu IRC channel and see what happens :D

castrojo
February 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I mean I love hanging out here. Wouldn't be such a bad idea to make online relationships with people who have similar interests. I also like helping people if I can. I'm not the end all go to guy for troubleshooting ubuntu but I do know some of it. Maybe this is something I should do then. Join the club. Might have to start working on something

IMO membership means going from:

"I love Ubuntu"

to:

"I love Ubuntu, so I'm going to help make Ubuntu."

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2013, 06:02 PM
no I was just hoping to see from other members if it's something to go after. I love Ubuntu and have been using it since 6.10 (on my second user account)

It's good to see another Ubuntu aficionado from Indiana.

CharlesA
February 7th, 2013, 06:03 PM

"I love Ubuntu"

to:

I wouldn't go that far. I would say it means:

"I love Ubuntu, so I'm going to contribute to it." ;)

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 06:28 PM
It's good to see another Ubuntu aficionado from Indiana.
which part of the state do you run around in?

plus Im getting married soon, so I don't have to worry about being a chick magnet lol

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2013, 06:57 PM
which part of the state do you run around in?

plus Im getting married soon, so I don't have to worry about being a chick magnet lol

Rushville. It's about 50 minutes east of Indy and 20 minutes east of Shelbyville.

And congratulations on getting married.

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Rushville. It's about 50 minutes east of Indy and 20 minutes east of Shelbyville.

And congratulations on getting married.
TY! Im a little ways away from you. Im in Fort Wayne

Elfy
February 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM

"I love Ubuntu"

to:

Membership to Ubuntu via forum contributions is about giving people who don't contribute in that way the chance to show that the things that they DO contribute are as important.

If making Ubuntu is the way to get Ubuntu membership - then the EMEA shouldn't have given me membership years ago - luckily they were not so proscribed in their attitudes to it.

furything
February 8th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I think if you have learned a lot from the forum and other forums in order to sort out the problems you encounter then at some point it is only fair to give back some of your time to others needing help.

This is why I joined the forum (and only recently).

Elfy you are from my neck of the woods so to speak although the forest is quite large and covers a big area (for the uk)

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Official Ubuntu Membership means recognition of significant and sustained contribution to Ubuntu and the Ubuntu community.

The forums are part of the Ubuntu community.

When you help people on the forums you are contributing to the community. When you have made a significant and sustained contribution on the forums you meet the criteria.

Simple as that. :D

castrojo
February 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Membership to Ubuntu via forum contributions is about giving people who don't contribute in that way the chance to show that the things that they DO contribute are as important.

I consider contributing to the forums (and other support and documentation) to be the same as "making Ubuntu", it's more than just the distro, that's the whole point of membership, you and I are no less important than a core dev when it comes to helping build Ubuntu.

Every cog is important and all that. :)

ACubed10
February 8th, 2013, 04:12 PM
The forums are part of the Ubuntu community.

When you help people on the forums you are contributing to the community. When you have made a significant and sustained contribution on the forums you meet the criteria.

Simple as that. :D
so would being a member since 2006 fit that? This is my 2nd account. My old account was CCBalla10

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Well it's not so much the length of time you've been a member, more how much and how well you've contributed in that time.

forrestcupp
February 8th, 2013, 06:18 PM
TY! Im a little ways away from you. Im in Fort Wayne

Cool. I have some friends that live up there.

Elfy
February 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I consider contributing to the forums (and other support and documentation) to be the same as "making Ubuntu", it's more than just the distro, that's the whole point of membership, you and I are no less important than a core dev when it comes to helping build Ubuntu.

Every cog is important and all that. :)

Glad to hear it :D

Was just making sure.

At 7am without any tea it read completely differently ;)

QIII
February 8th, 2013, 07:41 PM
What Ubuntu membership is:

1. A demonstrated, sustained history of contributions to the wider Ubuntu community by some means.

2. An indication of the intent to continue same.

What Ubuntu membership isn't (these are just perks):

1. A way to have a cool icon under your name on the forums.

2. A way to get a cool ubuntu.com email address.

When I say it isn't such a big deal, I mean that contribution is the thing. Membership should not be the motivation for contribution. It is a healthy byproduct of contribution. It isn't something to "go for".

I did not have any intention of becoming a member. But at some point I decided that I simply wanted to say to the community that I plan to continue contributing. So I applied. (To be honest, at the time I thought I would be like the nerdy guy that gets turned down asking girls to dance at the High School Social.)

So hang out. Have fun. Help people out on the forums. Contribute to the community wikis or to testing upcoming releases. Membership will come to you. Don't go racing after it.

mips
February 8th, 2013, 09:54 PM
My question is why?

At the end of the day what does it do for you? Why do people always feel this need to belong or associated with something that does not really matter much in the greater scheme of life. Personally I think you would be better off contributing to a soup kitchen than worrying about some arb software, just an example.

zombifier25
February 9th, 2013, 05:04 AM
My question is why?

At the end of the day what does it do for you? Why do people always feel this need to belong or associated with something that does not really matter much in the greater scheme of life. Personally I think you would be better off contributing to a soup kitchen than worrying about some arb software, just an example.

Kinda like an achievement, a trophy. It makes you feel proud about it, and it pushes you forward in life. It makes you want to do more, to contribute more.

On another note, I'm going to brag to my friends how I managed to wash the dishes the second time this year. THE SECOND TIME :lolflag: