PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Opera!

_simon_
July 8th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Well finally had enough.

It can't seem to handle web forms in that when you come to submit, nothing happens and then last night it decided to use 92% of my cpu and froze everything.

My partner had this issue with it immediately after installing it (using too much cpu and freezing everything)

So, back to trusty old firefox!

Having gotten used to being able to close individual tabs, is there a firefox extension that does just that? I don't want one of those extenstion with 101 options - just want the close option on each tab.

Jucato
July 8th, 2006, 09:24 AM
What close option? the one where you middle-click on a tab in Firefox to close that tab?

_simon_
July 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM
What close option? the one where you middle-click on a tab in Firefox to close that tab?

In all the time I have used FF I never knew I could do that! - thank you!

Now The only other thing I'd really like is that when I click on one of my bookmarks that it open in a NEW tab and not an existing one. I can't see any option to change this?

Edit: Just found this is middle click as well! doh!

Jucato
July 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Welcome back to the wonders of Firefox, and the miracle of middle-clicking.

Btw, you might also be interested in the autoscrolling feature of Firefox, where you middle click on any page and the page scrolls up or down (sometimes sideways, too), depending on the movement of your mouse. Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General Tab > Use autoscrolling.
(Just in case you didn't know).

Now I'm off to try out Opera 9 myself. :D

_simon_
July 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM
lol I did know about the auto scrolling option but thank you.

It's a shame Opera isn't as usable as FF, I did really like it. Maybe I will try it again in a few months when hopefully the problems have been resolved.

anodizer
July 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Middle click is very convenient, but there is also an extension that adds a close button in every tab.
Here. (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/785/)

_simon_
July 8th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Middle click is very convenient, but there is also an extension that adds a close button in every tab.
Here. (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/785/)

fuscia
July 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM
now that i have 'modren' equipment, firefox and thunderbird open very fast, but not opera. i have never really warmed up to opera. it's speedy in the same way that no-doz is speedy.

bruce89
July 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Having gotten used to being able to close individual tabs, is there a firefox extension that does just that? I don't want one of those extenstion with 101 options - just want the close option on each tab.
Can't resist.
Epiphany does this anyway.

bailout
July 8th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Never had either of those problems on Opera, either on Linux or Windows. Which website gave you problems?

Any non-IE browser will occasionally hit websites that aren't compatible but I find this happening less and less with Opera and I am sure it is infrequent with ff as well.

bionicyeti
July 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
On windows, I love Opera. Been running it for the last 2 years as my main browser. But on Ubuntu, I use FF. Opera never seems to work right for me on linux, and as a linux newbie I need Automatix to install all the plug-ins for me anyway :(

Kernel Sanders
July 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Personally I find that Opera 9 has some serious rendering problems with a few websites :(

tsb
July 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Install the "TabMix Plus" and "Paste and Go" extensions and you'll basically have Opera in a FF package. Opera doesn't handle the IGN flash popups correctly for me in Linux, so I stick with FF as well.