PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just updated 12.04 with recommended updates now xserver won't start at all

myrrdinoftheforest
February 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
So after the update, Ubuntu will only start in tty1. I've tried startx, I've tried sudo start lightdm, I've even tried getting the repository to reinstall fglrx legacy. Nothing has worked. I got desperate and from my laptop downloaded the Ubuntu boot repair cd and ran it's repairs on my desktop, it then gave me a URL http://paste2.org/p/2832157

If anyone can help me at all any help would be greatly appreciated :)

myrrdinoftheforest
February 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Ok, so I figured it out but for the benifit of others here was the fix:

when in the tty1 console, completely remove the proprietary ATI drivers using:

sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*

Then reboot... it was that simple... the last 2 hours I've been spending on this boiled down to these two lines of code :-P

myrrdinoftheforest
February 6th, 2013, 05:44 PM
So, another update, after rebooting somehow my original profile got corrupted and when I tried to login, it looped me back to the log in screen. Not sure what caused this, but I just logged in as guest, created another admin profile, then deleted the old one. Required a little extra work but a far cry better than reinstalling. On a side note, anyone have any idea how I can unlock the music and picture files from the original profile so the newly created profile can own them and use them?