View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome lock screen accepts password but doesn't unlock

February 5th, 2013, 04:44 PM
just installed a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10 and install gnome desktop and am using gdm. I am having a strange lock issue. Sometimes, after the machine is locked and I am attempting to unlock it. The system accepts my password, but never completely unlocks. I am using the gdm, so I have the slide up to unlock feature. I enter my password, the lightbox for the password goes away, and I am left with the default grey background and that is it. I can see the top tool bar with the Universal Settings, volume settings / network icons / etc, but not my user name with the system settings dropdown. Clicking any of the volume/network/power settings icons shows me the volume settings. I see the "Activities" setting in the upper left, but it doesn't do anything. I can't get the machine to exit the lock screen. Switching to another TTY doesn't work, the only thing I can do is power down and restart, so I don't have any log files to know what went wrong.

Thanks in advance.