PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu purple screen (freeze)

Risquel
February 5th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Hi, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 alongside windows 7 with a dual boot, windows 7 works fine but when i select to boot Ubuntu it takes me to the Grub... i continue and it just hangs on a purple screen until i reboot, i have tried recovery mode but it just hangs on "initializing ram disk" and i have tried pressing E and changing things to "nomodeset" but NOTHING is working. I have an AMD gpu which i know is finicky with it but i cant get into the options to download the package "the sudo apt get thingy"

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED, I really want to use Ubuntu and i'll do anything to make it work

Thanks, Risquel

dino99
February 5th, 2013, 02:20 PM
to get the verbose mode (and see whats going on while booting), edit (E) the boot line, and:
- remove "quiet splash"
- add "drm.debug=0xe plymouth:debug"

After the system is loaded, open a terminal to make the changes permanent:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

change the line to get:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="drm.debug=0xe plymouth:debug"

and finally, update grub:

sudo update-grub

note: that kind of trouble can depend of how the display is plugged (hdmi, ...) and the card used. With very recent hardware, the latest packages are also needed most of the time (kernel, video driver)
So, how is yours ?

Risquel
February 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, I tried "- remove "quiet splash"
- add "drm.debug=0xe plymouth:debug" and it still hangs on purple screen

I have two displays connected to my HD5850 using a VGA and an HDMI

Thanks, Ris

dino99
February 5th, 2013, 04:10 PM
for testing, use only your vga device; if that works, then you will know to dig about your graphic card model +hdmi (googling around, if a problem exist, you might not be the only one with)

maybe you can also try some boot option too : google around "ubuntu boot option"