PDA

View Full Version : Forced to change from AT&T DSL to U-verse

kansasnoob
February 4th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I'm a bit freaked out over this. I was contacted by AT&T that my DSL service will end within 30 days, so I called the number and signed up for the recommended U-verse.

I'm in rural Kansas, has anyone else gone through this?

I know I'll have about an 8 hour outage on the 19th, and I'll get a new modem, but I fear what fresh hell I'll have to deal with :(

Scary crap to me because the cable alternative stinks. Gawd I hope it doesn't require Windows to set up the new modem :frown:

To make things worse I have over 30 other users calling me about the same thing so I just told them all to stall their conversion until after the 20th so I have time to figure it out.

Color me worried :(

zealibib slaughter
February 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'm on uverse now. works fine with linux. have had alot of modem resets though but I figure its because they are still working on the service.

kansasnoob
February 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I'm on uverse now. works fine with linux. have had alot of modem resets though but I figure its because they are still working on the service.

Any trouble integrating with an existing router?

I suspect I'll have to totally reset my routers :(

And some of them are kind of Windows reliant ....... not a huge deal because I do have an old Win XP laptop that I can cart around to get things done ............. but I'm just at that point where even having to boot into Windows is painful :biggrin:

zealibib slaughter
February 4th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I desided to do away with my router since the modem is also a 4 port wired and wireless router too but you shouldn't have any problem with setting up your existing router the browser based gui for the at&t one is pretty painless.

btw there wasn't any software to install like at&t had with dsl at one time.

kansasnoob
February 4th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I desided to do away with my router since the modem is also a 4 port wired and wireless router too but you shouldn't have any problem with setting up your existing router the browser based gui for the at&t one is pretty painless.

btw there wasn't any software to install like at&t had with dsl at one time.

Then maybe this will be better ........... I can only hope :D

And if it's browser based maybe I'll be able to use Firefox.

zealibib slaughter
February 4th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I had no problems with firefox or chrome. So far its been way better than dsl.

kansasnoob
February 4th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I had no problems with firefox or chrome. So far its been way better than dsl.

I hope you're right ............ I love things when they're easy :D

CharlesA
February 4th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Meh.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Internet-DSL-General-Care-and/Being-forced-into-changing-to-uverse/td-p/3038845

I've seen tales of this from 2011.

kansasnoob
February 4th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Meh.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Internet-DSL-General-Care-and/Being-forced-into-changing-to-uverse/td-p/3038845

I've seen tales of this from 2011.

Not at all my experience so far. Everything is scheduled, in fact they first wanted to do this next week, but I told them I'd be doing iso-testing for 12.04.2 then so they rescheduled to the 19th :D

If you're just googling for similar events then that's less than helpful ;)

jerome1232
February 5th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Just my 2-cents, u-verse has in my experience by far been faster and more reliable than DSL. You wont really notice a big change, and as mentioned, your modem will have a wireless router built into it.

My biggest challenge has been due to a recent move, for some reason I had to switch equipment and they gave me a Motorola instead of a 2-wire, the gui is very different for this new router.

The routers that att give your are designed to hijack your browser the first time you open it and guide you through a browser based gui that will configure your router with all of login info for at&t, it's pretty straight forward and if the browser doesn't get automatically hijacked for whatever reason, the instructions have a url you can type in that will get it started.

kurt18947
February 5th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Just what you needed - another forum:lolflag:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/uverse

kansasnoob
February 5th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Just what you needed - another forum:lolflag:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/uverse

I guess I can only hope for the best.

But this couldn't happen at a much worse time. I basically had my home office set up in one corner of my living room, but due to the drought my foundation shifted so I recently had to move some stuff to my bedroom and other stuff to the kitchen while they repair my foundation.

All is well ATM but if someone else were to come in and look at my LAN they'd totally flip out because almost nothing is labeled. I mean it's mine, no one needs to know but me right?

Not to mention that it took me a few weeks to get my router set up just right so my HTPC gets priority over all other devices.

But all I can do now is wait and see ;)

CharlesA
February 5th, 2013, 02:13 AM
All is well ATM but if someone else were to come in and look at my LAN they'd totally flip out because almost nothing is labeled. I mean it's mine, no one needs to know but me right?

Sounds about how mine is. Although, I do have a spreadsheet with the layout, not many cables are labeled (but a few are color coded). ;)

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Just reading all of the fine print and AFAIK my DSL plan had no data limit, at least I never ran into any trouble and I have video and/or audio streaming probably 12 to 14 hours a day.

Heck I almost never turn on the TV or the radio anymore. My HTPC has much better sound and video so they basically just collect dust :)

Now this new U-verse plan has a 250 GB limit, which sounds like a lot, but that amounts to about 8.3 GB per day. Gosh there have been days that I'd use that downloading and/or updating .iso's alone :(

Of course I do use zsync on all of my **buntu images, but I might have to watch more closely just what I'm doing. Is there an app for that?

I'm really serious about that. Is there a way to monitor how much of my 250 GB monthly data plan I've used?

Or, better yet, I'd love to be able to monitor my daily usage now - before the actual change takes place. I know System Monitor shows network history, and looking at it now on my HTPC while streaming a video from Hulu it frequently hits about 3.8 KiB/s.

So is there a way to monitor my network usage daily?

Do you think a 250 GB monthly data plan is sufficient?

Probably dumb questions but I'm clueless ;)

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Double yikes, this doesn't look good to me:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045&cv=803&title=Broadband%20Usage%20FAQs#fbid=W7oeo8KWarz

I'd bet with feeding a dozen or more Linux iso torrents 24/7 as I do, and streaming video an average of 10 hours a day I'll be in big trouble :(

Maybe it's time to give cable a fresh look.

I'd still like to know if there's a Linux app that I could run on my main PC and my HTPC to see what I'm doing now?

I tried AT&T's app and it shows that I don't have DSL, so their app is not working with my service ATM.

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM
It looks like BitBudget may be just what I want:

http://lazyteq.github.com/bitbudget/

Sort of wish there was a free trial version.

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 11:12 AM
OTOH I think I have System Monitor figured out well enough to do a two or three day test using a spreadsheet to record when I start the box and when I shut it down ....... but if memory serves me well ....... the combined usage on my three puters since they were all started about 5 hours ago is nearly 8GB :shock:

I guess I'm a network hog :)

But if my math is even remotely close I could easily triple or quadruple the allocated monthly data plan. At $10.00 per 50 GB I'd be too broke to afford food!

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM
The equivalent speed in cable is high:

10 Mbps x 512 kb
$49.95 per month
Download speeds up to: 10 Mbps
Upload speeds up to: 512 kb

And supposedly the speed of U-verse will be 12 Mbps but I doubt I'd notice the difference.

But there are no data limits.

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Yipes stripes!

3 hours = 4.1 GB :biggrin:

Time to call the cable company.

CharlesA
February 6th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Yipes stripes!

3 hours = 4.1 GB :biggrin:

Time to call the cable company.

4.1 x 8 = 32.8 x 30 = 984GB in a 30 day month, if that traffic is constant. :shock:

jpeddicord
February 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Just my 2-cents, u-verse has in my experience by far been faster and more reliable than DSL. You wont really notice a big change, and as mentioned, your modem will have a wireless router built into it.

My biggest challenge has been due to a recent move, for some reason I had to switch equipment and they gave me a Motorola instead of a 2-wire, the gui is very different for this new router.

The routers that att give your are designed to hijack your browser the first time you open it and guide you through a browser based gui that will configure your router with all of login info for at&t, it's pretty straight forward and if the browser doesn't get automatically hijacked for whatever reason, the instructions have a url you can type in that will get it started.

Agh, those 2-WIRE WiFi networks are everywhere around my house. I swear I'm the only person who has bothered to change the default network name.

AT&T keeps mailing trying to get me to switch from TWC, but they're offering a lower speed at the same price, and with a mandatory bandwidth cap. No thanks.

(The nice thing about my area is that we're serviced by no less than three cable providers, so if one messes around too much I can always jump ship to the next. That won't be the case in a few months moving to Seattle from what I hear. :-|)

CharlesA
February 6th, 2013, 05:35 PM
(The nice thing about my area is that we're serviced by no less than three cable providers, so if one messes around too much I can always jump ship to the next. That won't be the case in a few months moving to Seattle from what I hear. :-|)

Lucky. I've got one cable provider in my area but for whatever reason we still have ads for ATT and TWC (and Cox) on TV.

My "bandwidth cap" is 250GB but I went over it last month due to a backup - no emails, no extra fees, and no phone calls from them whining at it. Of course it has only happened for one month but once I start backing stuff up again, it'll probably happen again.

jerome1232
February 6th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Lucky. I've got one cable provider in my area but for whatever reason we still have ads for ATT and TWC (and Cox) on TV.

My "bandwidth cap" is 250GB but I went over it last month due to a backup - no emails, no extra fees, and no phone calls from them whining at it. Of course it has only happened for one month but once I start backing stuff up again, it'll probably happen again.

I would keep an eye on that, you sure they didn't send an email to your isp provided email?

I know at least AT&T's policy is this:

The first month and second month that you go over, AT&T will send you a notification that you went over your allowed usage. For the third and subsequent months, you will be charged $10 for each 50 GB you have gone over.

I would double check your isp's policy.

@OP, AT&T enforces a 150GB limit on DSL, 250GB on U-Verse. Are you sure your old plan didn't have a limit?

jerome1232
February 6th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Agh, those 2-WIRE WiFi networks are everywhere around my house. I swear I'm the only person who has bothered to change the default network name.

AT&T keeps mailing trying to get me to switch from TWC, but they're offering a lower speed at the same price, and with a mandatory bandwidth cap. No thanks.

I may have just had a bad experience with DSL, the apartment I lived in seemed to be at the end of the loop and instead of the 3 mbs I was supposed to be getting, I was getting sub 700 kbps speeds. Horrendous when you have someone watching hulu plus, another watching netflix, and still another trying to play a fps on the computer.

Regardless DSL now has a 150 GB limit compared to U-verses 250 GB limit. I fear it's just the way things are going to go with ISP's. Cable in my area charges way, way to much for comparable speeds with U-verse.

CharlesA
February 6th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I would keep an eye on that, you sure they didn't send an email to your isp provided email?

Just checked the email accounts associated with that account and there was nothing in there. When I spoke to one of the customer service people they said it would throttle if I went over the "allowance" but I didn't notice anything.

*shrugs*

I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

jpeddicord
February 6th, 2013, 07:28 PM
250 GB was the bandwidth limit for AT&T here as well. I saw that, opened my TWC account statistics, and saw an average of 500 GB/mo (across three people). Yeaaah, no way am I switching.

I may have just had a bad experience with DSL, the apartment I lived in seemed to be at the end of the loop and instead of the 3 mbs I was supposed to be getting, I was getting sub 700 kbps speeds. Horrendous when you have someone watching hulu plus, another watching netflix, and still another trying to play a fps on the computer.

Regardless DSL now has a 150 GB limit compared to U-verses 250 GB limit. I fear it's just the way things are going to go with ISP's. Cable in my area charges way, way to much for comparable speeds with U-verse.

Oh, by all means, cable is definitely better than DSL, I agree there.

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 07:39 PM
@OP, AT&T enforces a 150GB limit on DSL, 250GB on U-Verse. Are you sure your old plan didn't have a limit?

Actually, I guess so, what the fine print actually states is, "Your monthly data plan will increase from 150 GB to 250 GB".

So I first thought, cool no worries. But then I decided to actually get to work and study this more. I don't recall ever being notified of a limit, and I'd never been warned of one.

When I log into my AT&T account and try to use their tool to check past usage it says I don't have DSL, but I have had for probably 7 years, so I guess the crusty old wiring is just not setup to read what I'm doing over here in the stix :)

I can only assume that the planned 8 hour outage on the 19th is to actually install new wire, probably fiber optics, and then they'll be able to monitor my usage which is something I'd always been pleasantly ignorant about :redface:

But I frequently start streaming flash video about 9 AM and do so continuously for up to 14 hours a day ...... sort of like having the TV on in the background, but having no idea what's actually on.

Like right now I'm streaming my second episode of The Daily Show and I see that I've already gobbled up over 2 GB in maybe 45 minutes.

Feeding torrents varies greatly but earlier this morning uploads had hit 500MB in about 3 hours.

So I'd guess roughly that I easily triple or quadruple the alloted 250 GB ........ guess I'm a net-hog :D

kansasnoob
February 6th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Okey dokey, made a phone call, and customer service was great :D

They turned on my network usage thingy while I was on the phone, here's a safe for public view screenshot:

So I guess I'm freaking out over nothing :lolflag:

Why the System Monitor's network history displays such high numbers I dunno.

CharlesA
February 6th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Why the System Monitor's network history displays such high numbers I dunno.

Probably counts local communication in addition to anything from the Internet.

ufugu
February 6th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I've had Uverse at two different addresses over four years. Zero problems with the equipment, initial set-up, speed or reliability. I get internet only, no TV or phone.

In fact, it's been so good that I've never had to deal with customer service. At all. :guitar:

I've never bumped up against any limits, but I've also never gone over 100 gigs either.

kansasnoob
February 7th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Probably counts local communication in addition to anything from the Internet.

Evidently that's true. I disconnected my network storage (NAS) and the network usage displayed by System Monitor dropped drastically ....... maybe about 40%.

But I'm really totally stupid when it comes to this :redface:

That's why I opened this conversation at the water cooler .... I know too little about the situation to post it in Absolute Beginners :)

CharlesA
February 7th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Evidently that's true. I disconnected my network storage (NAS) and the network usage displayed by System Monitor dropped drastically ....... maybe about 40%.

But I'm really totally stupid when it comes to this :redface:

That's why I opened this conversation at the water cooler .... I know too little about the situation to post it in Absolute Beginners :)

Lol. I like vnstat, but it also measures local traffic. :p

charles@Thor:~$ vnstat
Database updated: Wed Feb 6 16:56:56 2013

eth0 since 04/29/12

rx: 2.11 TiB tx: 1.54 TiB total: 3.65 TiB

monthly
rx | tx | total | avg. rate
------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
Jan '13 221.96 GiB | 500.11 GiB | 722.06 GiB | 2.26 Mbit/s
Feb '13 56.48 GiB | 92.88 GiB | 149.37 GiB | 2.54 Mbit/s
estimated 277.16 GiB | 455.77 GiB | 732.93 GiB |

daily
rx | tx | total | avg. rate
yesterday 4.92 GiB | 13.17 GiB | 18.09 GiB | 1.76 Mbit/s
today 12.77 GiB | 8.12 GiB | 20.89 GiB | 2.87 Mbit/s
estimated 18.10 GiB | 11.50 GiB | 29.60 GiB |

kansasnoob
February 7th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I've had Uverse at two different addresses over four years. Zero problems with the equipment, initial set-up, speed or reliability. I get internet only, no TV or phone.

In fact, it's been so good that I've never had to deal with customer service. At all. :guitar:

I've never bumped up against any limits, but I've also never gone over 100 gigs either.

That's been my experience with AT&T DSL up until now.

I've been at the same address in rural Kansas for nearly 11 years and my first broadband connection here was through Galaxy Communications which was just horrible, I'll grant you it was 2002 but I'd previously lived in the panhandle of Nebraska and I got much faster cable service there at a lower price.

Then AT&T had a super cheap try-out DSL plan and I loved it ............ I loved it so much I just kept upgrading speeds until I got to the fastest DSL they offer here. In about 7 years I've had three brief outages, two of which were due to dumb rednecks running over the same terminal which is now surrounded by cemented steel guard poles :)

If U-verse is as good as AT&T DSL I'll be a happy camper, but I'm also getting calls from about two dozen friends about what to expect, so I have to spend a lot of time convincing them that I'll figure it out.

It's sort of funny that so many people depend on a guy with brain damage and dementia to advise them :lolflag:

jerome1232
February 7th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Then AT&T had a super cheap try-out DSL plan and I loved it ............ I loved it so much I just kept upgrading speeds until I got to the fastest DSL they offer here. In about 7 years I've had three brief outages, two of which were due to dumb rednecks running over the same terminal which is now surrounded by cemented steel guard poles :)

What's funny is, that's the most common reason for dslams getting taken out. I once worked for 2wire who provides support for people with 2wire routers, that was the workplace rumor at least. I can't verify that's actually true.

kansasnoob
February 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM
What's funny is, that's the most common reason for dslams getting taken out. I once worked for 2wire who provides support for people with 2wire routers, that was the workplace rumor at least. I can't verify that's actually true.

I know it's true here because I can look out my kitchen window and see it just across the street, literally :D

After the first time I always just look out the window if my DSL dies :lolflag:

The third time was still related to the DSLAM but it was due to a torrential rain shorting out some of the internal equipment. That time they really sealed things up :)

Lucradia
February 9th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Cable modems set up differently than DSL. As I recall, U-Verse is cable only. When you first install a cable modem, your Internet will always redirect to your ISP's "New Modem Setup" Page, and will disallow access to anything else (even through programs like games, and hardware like the PS3, etc.)

Cable also provides better quality over DSL, mainly because Cable doesn't need a filtration system between phone and Internet line via the Phone cable in the walls.

I'm surprised that homes still come with wall jacks for telephone connections rather than just cable / fiber connections. Even though AT&T offers cable internet cheaply, it's not the best. (Lowest speed is like 2 Mbps Down, at 19.95 a month, promotion.)

I only go by the non-promo prices, but so far, I haven't seen any, anywhere on the AT&T Website. Nor will I speak to customer service about it, because I'm pretty sure that it's "Mandatory" to have such a statement in fine print somewhere.

jerome1232
February 9th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Cable modems set up differently than DSL. As I recall, U-Verse is cable only. When you first install a cable modem, your Internet will always redirect to your ISP's "New Modem Setup" Page, and will disallow access to anything else (even through programs like games, and hardware like the PS3, etc.)

Cable also provides better quality over DSL, mainly because Cable doesn't need a filtration system between phone and Internet line via the Phone cable in the walls.

I'm surprised that homes still come with wall jacks for telephone connections rather than just cable / fiber connections. Even though AT&T offers cable internet cheaply, it's not the best. (Lowest speed is like 2 Mbps Down, at 19.95 a month, promotion.)

I only go by the non-promo prices, but so far, I haven't seen any, anywhere on the AT&T Website. Nor will I speak to customer service about it, because I'm pretty sure that it's "Mandatory" to have such a statement in fine print somewhere.

That's subjective, while Cable does offer higher speeds, the speeds aren't dedicated like they are with DSL/U-Verse setups, with cable it's shared with your neighbors bandwidth and with cable your speeds will get choked during high traffic times because of this. DSL/U-verse however you have dedicated bandwidth and don't have this issue.

mips
February 9th, 2013, 10:41 AM
That's subjective, while Cable does offer higher speeds, the speeds aren't dedicated like they are with DSL/U-Verse setups, with cable it's shared with your neighbors bandwidth and with cable your speeds will get choked during high traffic times because of this. DSL/U-verse however you have dedicated bandwidth and don't have this issue.

DSL is also shared amongst subscribers connected to a DSLAM but not to the extent of cable. The DSLAM back haul bandwidth is determined by a contention ratio, the same applies to your ISP. Over here some exchanges are known not to have enough back haul capacity and the subscribers feel this very much.

jerome1232
February 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM
DSL is also shared amongst subscribers connected to a DSLAM but not to the extent of cable. The DSLAM back haul bandwidth is determined by a contention ratio, the same applies to your ISP. Over here some exchanges are known not to have enough back haul capacity and the subscribers feel this very much.

Interesting to know, I was always under the impression it was totally dedicated.

t0p
February 9th, 2013, 02:20 PM
OTOH I think I have System Monitor figured out well enough to do a two or three day test using a spreadsheet to record when I start the box and when I shut it down

Sorry for OT interjection, but is there a guide somewhere to use System Monitor to record data up/download to spreadsheet so I can see what my data transfer use is like?

Lloydb39
February 9th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I've had U-verse for more than a year. I have this Linux computer plugged in by Ethernet cable to the router/modem, as well as a Windows 7 computer. Various laptops with various OS tie in via wi-fi as needed. I share files between the two desktops and the laptops, and also a printer. All works pretty well, but don't count on U-verse tech support. It's pretty lame; mostly they just want to sell you paid support.

kansasnoob
February 9th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Sorry for OT interjection, but is there a guide somewhere to use System Monitor to record data up/download to spreadsheet so I can see what my data transfer use is like?

Not that I found :(

mips
February 9th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Interesting to know, I was always under the impression it was totally dedicated.

The part/line between your router and the DSLAM is dedicated. With cable this is not the case.

CharlesA
February 9th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Not that I know of. I have been using my router to record that sort of data, but the last time I had to reset it, I forgot to backup the existing data so it went poof.

jerome1232
February 9th, 2013, 08:08 PM
The part/line between your router and the DSLAM is dedicated. With cable this is not the case.

Ah, so your saying the segment "behind" or "after" the DSLAM is sometimes not beefy enough to handle all of the dedicated lines hitting it and thus may introduce some choking due to high traffic.

If so that sounds more like the impression I was working on.

kansasnoob
February 13th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Then things turn dark :(

I'd been told I could expect FedEx to deliver my new modem/router on the 8th or 11th, having not seen it on the 13th I call :)

After about 30 minutes of playing phone jockey I'm told I received "the package". NO I didn't!

This is NOT surprising because I used to shop a lot with ClubIT before they went belly up and FedEx was horrible here.

Could that be because rural Kansas towns have totally stupid addresses?

But U-verse just tells me don't worry, if you don't have it by the 19th we'll send you a new modem/router .......... so that would mean well over 48 hours w/o internet ](*,)

jerome1232
February 14th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Then things turn dark :(

I'd been told I could expect FedEx to deliver my new modem/router on the 8th or 11th, having not seen it on the 13th I call :)

After about 30 minutes of playing phone jockey I'm told I received "the package". NO I didn't!

This is NOT surprising because I used to shop a lot with ClubIT before they went belly up and FedEx was horrible here.

Could that be because rural Kansas towns have totally stupid addresses?

But U-verse just tells me don't worry, if you don't have it by the 19th we'll send you a new modem/router .......... so that would mean well over 48 hours w/o internet ](*,)

Mean while some guy a few miles down has a stack of 20 or so U-verse modems.

:guitar:

kansasnoob
February 20th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Well, I got there, but not without issues ;)

I'd been told I could connect at 8PM on the 19th but I kept getting this message until 3AM the next day:

Then at the last step I was told I needed to use Windows:

So I had to complete the process via phone :(

And after running three different speed tests I'm NOT getting what I'm paying for :mad:

CharlesA
February 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM

Call them and complain. It sounds like a total mess. :|

kurt18947
February 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM

I'd been told I could connect at 8PM on the 19th but I kept getting this message until 3AM the next day:

And after running three different speed tests I'm NOT getting what I'm paying for :mad:

The "Having to use Windows" is not a surprise. We ran into the same thing with Verizon DSL and again with FiOS. Take Windows out of solitary confinement, give it reasonable connectivity, let them do what they need to do and back to solitary it goes.;) Do they really need Windows, or do the techs and support people only know how to do what they need to do with Windows? I suspect the latter. They tend to work from scripts and those scripts only mention Windows components. As far as speed, how far are you away from what you were promised? And how is the speed stated? Often times it's "up to __ Mb./sec." and not a firm or minimum number. If you're a long ways below what you were promised, you have a legitimate gripe.

kansasnoob
February 20th, 2013, 06:20 PM
The "Having to use Windows" is not a surprise. We ran into the same thing with Verizon DSL and again with FiOS. Take Windows out of solitary confinement, give it reasonable connectivity, let them do what they need to do and back to solitary it goes.;) Do they really need Windows, or do the techs and support people only know how to do what they need to do with Windows? I suspect the latter. They tend to work from scripts and those scripts only mention Windows components. As far as speed, how far are you away from what you were promised? And how is the speed stated? Often times it's "up to __ Mb./sec." and not a firm or minimum number. If you're a long ways below what you were promised, you have a legitimate gripe.

I found it odd that they also don't yet support Windows 8, not that I have it but I thought that was funny.

kansasnoob
February 20th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Call them and complain. It sounds like a total mess. :|

I certainly will, but I first want to check out some other potential problems. At this point I can absolutely say that U-verse has been problematic.

But their tech support via phone has been good :D

CloakandPigeon
February 20th, 2013, 07:05 PM
So strange that they have a web based interface, but then require you to use a Windows computer for setup, I can't think of any reason why unless they are installing anti-virus or something on your computer.

jerome1232
February 21st, 2013, 01:13 AM

FYI, that last step (if it's the one I'm thinking about) isn't a required step, it's just one that setups your home page etc... you have internet without doing it.

Not that it matters at this point...

kansasnoob
February 22nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Well the plot thickens a bit ;)

I spent 4 hours dealing with this:

Of course my one filter is installed properly and worked fine for 24 to 48 hours :D

All U-verse phone support could tell me was that I'd failed to complete my installation properly and I needed to use a Windows PC to properly complete the installation :mad:

Now, I could do that because I have an old XP box available but I'm stubborn.

So far it appears that I can avoid that error by disabling IPv6 in "/etc/sysctl.conf" but I don't like that at all so I'm seriously thinking U-verse just sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

kurt18947
February 22nd, 2013, 09:03 PM
I did a little perhaps unconventional wiring when we had DSL. it worked well, though. I put a terminal block right where the phone line came through the house wall. We have several phone jacks daisy chained. I split the incoming signal at the terminal block. One pair went straight to the DSL 'modem'. The second pair went through a DSL filter, then to the rest of the house. That worked out pretty well. Here's another 'gotcha' to be aware of. I ran an extension in the basement from the terminal block to the opposite side of the basement. I ran a part of the phone line close to a bundle of AC Romex lines thinking nothing of it. Next time I went to log onto the internet, there was nothing there.

Huh?

Started resetting modems, routers, scratchin' my head, an' cussin'. Called Verizon, they did a line check and said it tested fine. Finally ran a temp line from the phone co. terminal to the DSL modem. It worked great!. It turned out that the new line running close to the AC lines was setting up interference in phone system where voice worked correctly but the DSL signal did not. Rerouted the basement phone line and all was well. Just one of those too soon old - too late smart things.

acidqueen
February 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
I certainly will, but I first want to check out some other potential problems. At this point I can absolutely say that U-verse has been problematic.

But their tech support via phone has been good :D

Just be glad you're not a Time Warner Cable customer. I don't know how they are in KS, but here in NC their customer service reps are required to sell stuff to customers rather than actually fix problems (or get customers to the people who can actually fix your problems).

full disclosure: I used to work for TWC as a Customer Service/Tech Support rep.

chili555
February 23rd, 2013, 11:48 PM
For your amusement, here is a transcript of a letter I sent to several executives of AT&T on December 15, 2010:
Today I read a blog page here: http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/12/at-blocks-linux-configuration.html

I enclose an excerpt from the blog.

The essential element is that, in order to access the configuration pages of my AT&T leased modem and router, I will be required to use either Windows or Mac operating system. Use of other operating systems, such as Linux, BeOS, BSD and others is prohibited.

I certainly understand that AT&T is reluctant to offer specialized support to effectively 3% of the marketplace. However, supporting alternative operating systems is quite a different thing from blocking alternate operating systems.

I have been a loyal AT&T/Bellsouth/Cingular customer for over thirty years. The first time I am blocked from using the operating system of my choice, I will be requesting that my telephone service, internet service and cellular service be discontinued.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,My position has always been to administer the system myself once live DSL service is available at my door. So far, it has worked well enough. My hopes are high but my expectations are low.

kurt18947
February 24th, 2013, 12:52 AM
For your amusement, here is a transcript of a letter I sent to several executives of AT&T on December 15, 2010:My position has always been to administer the system myself once live DSL service is available at my door. So far, it has worked well enough. My hopes are high but my expectations are low.

Well stated. I view it as "if you don't use Windows or Mac, you're on your own." Given the quality of support I've gotten from similar entities in the past, that's not much of a downgrade;).

jpeddicord
February 24th, 2013, 06:30 PM
For your amusement, here is a transcript of a letter I sent to several executives of AT&T on December 15, 2010:My position has always been to administer the system myself once live DSL service is available at my door. So far, it has worked well enough. My hopes are high but my expectations are low.

Did you ever get a response? Just curious, because sometimes execs will actually respond back.

chili555
February 24th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Did you ever get a response? Just curious, because sometimes execs will actually respond back.None whatever. However, when my modem conked out, I had a visit from a tech who was very interested in my Linux laptop. He gave me his business card and said if I ever had any problems to call him. I took it to mean trouble with AT&T corporate as well as my modem! The craft guys and gals are a tiny bit ...how shall I say this delicately...unsympathetic towards management.

kansasnoob
February 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'm not "tech smart" enough to understand why but I'm getting much better and more reliable service just using LAN port #1 with an oldish Trendnet desktop switch than I did using the additional ports of this NVG 510 Motorola modem/router.

I usually love Motorola products but this seems like a real dud! Clear back in the 70's I swore by Motorola 8 track decks and Motorola mobile radios :D

I'd guess that Motorola built these to AT&T specs so I'm blaming AT&T until I know better.

CharlesA
February 25th, 2013, 06:00 PM
10/100/1000 switch vs 10/100, maybe? I dunno, maybe you just got a bad one.

kansasnoob
February 28th, 2013, 04:00 AM
This is turning out to be the worst nightmare I've had in over a decade regarding internet. There are constant outages and tech support is worthless! I suspect I'll be changing to cable next week.

U-verse needs to be renamed ........... maybe to "U-were-stupid-to-trust-us".