PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on a mobile device?

Saishokara
February 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM
i can say ever since i have gotten Ubuntu on a VM, my desktop in windows has been severely neglected. what would make me even happier is a desktop i can carry around with me. i absolutely hate the GUI for the mobile phones, as there is no easy way to effectively edit files in the impossibe-to-crack systems. none of the Apps on the Store can really run an OS like linux, and im afraid if i use one of the packets you get from some random website will give me viruses and run up my bill n stuff. so is there an app i can download to run Ubuntu or another similar OS (bohdi, puppy, ect...) thanks

gerowen
February 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Ubuntu is coming out with their own phone OS shortly. I think a Beta is supposed to be available toward the end of this month or early March. I'm sure there will be ways to install it on your current smart phone once it's made available.

As far as doing it right now, I'm not aware of anything that works "well" at letting you run a traditional desktop OS on your phone.

3rdalbum
February 6th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Ubuntu is coming out with their own phone OS shortly. I think a Beta is supposed to be available toward the end of this month or early March. I'm sure there will be ways to install it on your current smart phone once it's made available.

Don't count on it, it will run only on the Galaxy Nexus and the forthcoming Ubuntu Phones unless the community ports it and writes drivers for your current phone.

pprice
February 7th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Don't count on it, it will run only on the Galaxy Nexus and the forthcoming Ubuntu Phones unless the community ports it and writes drivers for your current phone.

Certain Android phones have a huge development community. I would not be surprised to see it ported to the Nexus 4, SGS3, and maybe others shortly after source is released.

Kookas
February 15th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Certain Android phones have a huge development community. I would not be surprised to see it ported to the Nexus 4, SGS3, and maybe others shortly after source is released.

Nexus 4 would be perfect for it, considering the curved screen - optimised for the sort of swiping you'd be doing if you had Ubuntu Phone on there. Which makes me wonder whether the OEM Ubuntu Phone will be taking any design cues from the Nexus 4, considering that.