PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] eeepc 901 won't boot from usb/sd. Working Mint 13 want to upgrade to UServer 12.04

nc_jed
February 3rd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Sorry for the long title, but I wanted to be clear about the situation.

I have an eeePC 901 with the 4 GB SSD and a working Mint 13 install. The Mint install works but is very very slow. I want to turn the machine into a dedicated Samba install (using a USB external as the main drive). For this, I want to (down|up)grade the OS to Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS.

Here's the issue, I can't seem to get the machine to boot from the SD or USB drive. I recall this being an issue when I put Mint 13 on it, but I can't recall what I did to make it work. So, I'm thinking that there ought to be plenty of other ways to handle this (down|up)grade using the desktop methaphor. Thinking Update Manager, APT, etc. Just looking for some guidance on where to start.

- NC_Jed

snowpine
February 3rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
On my EEE 900ha, I can boot from USB by pressing the Esc key at the BIOS screen.

nc_jed
February 3rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
On my EEE 900ha, I can boot from USB by pressing the Esc key at the BIOS screen.

I tried the Escape key trick with the SD but not the USB. SD just hung with a blinking cursor. USB seems to be booting. Thanks!

- NC_Jed