PDA

View Full Version : How to stop volume from mounting at boot

Nesaskewatch
February 2nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
Somehow and in spite of myself, I managed to install Ubuntu on an Asus N56VJ with UEFI. That successful campaign is chronicled here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2105622). While doing it I decided instead of moving the windows D:\ (Data) partition -- which was left by windows partition manager smack in the middle of the drive -- I would use the unallocated space in front of it as a /share partition, formatted in NTFS for sharing files between operating systems. That went fine, but ocasionally when I boot it freezes just before the splash screen. When it does not freeze it stops during the splash screen saying something like "/share failed to mount. Press S to skip, M for manual recovery" etc. I press S as I do not want share to mount and it boots fine.

I decided that the next time it froze I would try pressing S and, what do you know, it worked. My question is; how do I prevent that drive from mounting at boot, and why is it trying to mount in the first place? I didn't give it a mount point, at least I don't think I did. Though I did label it /share... Anyway, here is a pic of my drive in gparted. SDA7 is the miscreant volume

http://i.imgur.com/a50UI4Z.png?1

Thanks in advance for any replies.

presence1960
February 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
From terminal run
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Find the line that references your share. remove that line. On toolbar click Save. Close file. Reboot. The /etc/fstab file controls what volumes are mounted at boot.

The reference will be by UUID. If you need to find the volume's UUID run this command from terminal:
blkid

sudodus
February 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
... or keep the entry in /etc/fstab and add the option noauto to the options field (the fourth field)

See
man fstab

Nesaskewatch
February 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for both tips. Worked like a treat. That fstab manual is perfect. This entry has me a bit worried though: "...it is the duty of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file". I'll do my best!

Thanks!

presence1960
February 2nd, 2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for both tips. Worked like a treat. That fstab manual is perfect. This entry has me a bit worried though: "...it is the duty of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file". I'll do my best!

Thanks!

Enjoy!! Don't forget to mark this thread as "Solved".

Nesaskewatch
February 2nd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Enjoy!! Don't forget to mark this thread as "Solved".lol Thanks pal. I was busy fiddling with that file and forgot.