PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will 12.10 work on my Celeron CPU 2.66GHz

abasit93
February 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
I have an Intel Celeron 2.66GHz CPU (which is also 64-bit capable), and 1 GB of RAM and 80 GB HDD, my system is a "Dell Optiplex 210L", on which i am using Windows 7 (32-bit). I want to try Ubuntu 12.10, as I liked it very much, i have read the system requirements of Ubuntu 12.10, on which it is stated that "Intel Pentium 4 CPU" is better. So, my question is that will Ubuntu Linux work on my CPU or not?

dino99
February 2nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
due to the limited ram amount, you should install a light distro like Lubuntu, and avoid distro with heavy apps (gnome, firefox, ...)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/InstallingLubuntu

presence1960
February 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
You can run 12.10 on your machine. If Unity is too much for your RAM you can install LXDE desktop from Software Center. Once installed you can reboot. When you get to the Ubuntu log in screen click the ubuntu logo just top right of your password box. Choose LXDE to use as desktop. Log in and you will be using the LXDE Desktop which is a nice lightweight desktop environment. LXDE stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment.

pcsrao
February 25th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Hi.
I have a 3-yr old HP running on Celeron 2.6GHz. I've been running Ubuntu (since 10.04) on this laptop and it's been a clean good ride till now.

Ubuntu 12.10 works. But since there are a few bugs, I keep seeing a few errors being thrown around. It's sometimes annoying. But nevertheless, the bottom-line is, it works on Celeron CPU.

I'd recommend that you go for Ubuntu 12.04 though. I had some of the best days of using Ubuntu in 12.04. Perfect. :guitar: