PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] internal error keeps me from installing Ubuntu 12.10

OpusX
February 2nd, 2013, 03:17 AM
Hey there,
So I got a gateway Lx6810-01, here's the specs
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200(2.33GHz)64 bit Quad-Core
8GB DDR2 memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT120 Graphics, 1GB DDR2 Total Video Memory & a
640GB Hard Drive
So I was having some serious Malware problems, using the vista OS that came with the PC. I couldn't seem to fix it right so I decided to jump to the windows wagon. I've used Ubuntu a few years back and loved it, but I really only know the basics when it comes to Linux. I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10. I burned the ISO to a DVD. Now I'm trying to install it. I cleared my C drive, there's nothing on there anymore. I pop the disk in to the drive and and it reads and boots up. I press the try ubuntu button and it runs good. Even got on the Internet going and thats how I'm posting. So everything works great until I try to install. I go to the top left hand corner, click install Ubuntu 12.10, english is what I speak, I got a bunch of drive space, the Internet is hooked up, click continue... And thats as far as it goes, once I get to that point I cant do anything else without getting an error. Doesn't matter what i click I get "sorry Ubuntu 12.10 has experienced an internal error, try restarting the machine." I don't know what to do, thought about trying 10.4 thinking that might be more stable. Any help you guys can give me I'd really appreciate it, and thank you!

presence1960
February 2nd, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hey there,
So I got a gateway Lx6810-01, here's the specs
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200(2.33GHz)64 bit Quad-Core
8GB DDR2 memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT120 Graphics, 1GB DDR2 Total Video Memory & a
640GB Hard Drive
So I was having some serious Malware problems, using the vista OS that came with the PC. I couldn't seem to fix it right so I decided to jump to the windows wagon. I've used Ubuntu a few years back and loved it, but I really only know the basics when it comes to Linux. I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10. I burned the ISO to a DVD. Now I'm trying to install it. I cleared my C drive, there's nothing on there anymore. I pop the disk in to the drive and and it reads and boots up. I press the try ubuntu button and it runs good. Even got on the Internet going and thats how I'm posting. So everything works great until I try to install. I go to the top left hand corner, click install Ubuntu 12.10, english is what I speak, I got a bunch of drive space, the Internet is hooked up, click continue... And thats as far as it goes, once I get to that point I cant do anything else without getting an error. Doesn't matter what i click I get "sorry Ubuntu 12.10 has experienced an internal error, try restarting the machine." I don't know what to do, thought about trying 10.4 thinking that might be more stable. Any help you guys can give me I'd really appreciate it, and thank you!

I guess we can start at the beginning. Did you md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) the iso? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
Did you burn the iso as an image at a slow speed, i.e. no more than 8x?
After these, when you boot the DVD did you choose "check disk for errors"?

A lot of times CD/DVDs have errors because of one or all of the above.

OpusX
February 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Think I should download the amd64.iso because i'm running an intel core 2, going to give that a try.