PDA

View Full Version : Desktop 1, Desktop 2

offgridguy
February 1st, 2013, 04:41 PM
New to lubuntu, I am curious about the Desktop 1, Desktop 2 feature. What is this for? How would this be useful, in a practical sense?

I see manjaro has the same idea, with 4 desktops.:confused:

dannyboy79
February 1st, 2013, 04:58 PM
desktops are merely just that, they are area where you work, if 1 desktop has a lot of windows open and you don't want to have to open and close apps so you can see them, you can just go to a new desktop and open your app there. so desktop 1 could have a browser open, desktop 2 could have something you're editing in a photo editor. this allows you to work more efficiently instead of opening and minimizing apps just so you can see the other apps open, you merely click the desktop where you want to work

snowpine
February 1st, 2013, 05:14 PM
What dannyboy said. :)

Also, I like to put any apps/terminals where I'm working with sudo/root priv's on their own separate desktop. This prevents me from accidentally making a system-wide change while I am performing an everyday task.

offgridguy
February 1st, 2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks dannyboy79, I thought it might be something like this.

@ snowpine, what a great idea, I can see a lot of use's for this
feature.

cg40k
February 1st, 2013, 06:31 PM
Re: Desktop 1, Desktop 2
desktops are merely just that, they are area where you work, if 1 desktop has a lot of windows open and you don't want to have to open and close apps so you can see them, you can just go to a new desktop and open your app there. so desktop 1 could have a browser open, desktop 2 could have something you're editing in a photo editor. this allows you to work more efficiently instead of opening and minimizing apps just so you can see the other apps open, you merely click the desktop where you want to work

Well said. +1

snowpine
February 1st, 2013, 06:37 PM
It's also really handy if the boss walks by while you're looking at a website you shouldn't be. ;)

offgridguy
February 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Re: Desktop 1, Desktop 2

Well said. +1
Hello cg40k, you can use the quote feature to reply, makes it easier, as i have just done.
You can also use the option,wrap [Quote] tags around selected
text. 4th. icon from right in message reply window, if you want
to copy and paste a previous quote. Not sure if you knew this?:):)

offgridguy
February 1st, 2013, 07:18 PM
It's also really handy if the boss walks by while you're looking at a website you shouldn't be. ;)
No 'buntu' user would do this tho. ;);)