PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Trying to Install Xubuntu on a USB stick

EmeraldBot
January 31st, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hello,
I'm going to vacation to a relatives house in a few months, and I happened to have an old mp3 player that functions just like a 4GB USB stick, so I wanted to install a Linux distribution to use on his computer. I chose Xubuntu 12.04 because it is clean and lightweight. I have installed it twice on the memory stick, using both Unetbootin and Ubuntu's own installer, running in Kubuntu. Both times, it gets to the splash screen, and then it unmounts the mp3 player, and complains about there being no file system, then goes straight to a text screen. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem, and I would really appreciate some help. (I don't like Windows at all).

snowpine
January 31st, 2013, 09:58 PM
Try it with an actual USB stick (they cost less than $10).

kurt18947
January 31st, 2013, 10:10 PM
Not sure if it'd help but maybe delete the partition using gparted then recreate it or overwrite it with DBAN or similar?

bigdes
February 8th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I had a similar problem I was using Ubuntu 12.10 and wanted to upgrade to xubuntu 13.04 it had went through the whole programme but was very slow and in the end it didn't install even tried partoning the drive and it was just the same no joy. In the en I ended up formatting the drive now xubuntu 13.04 is running with no problems. I would advise you to try and get a 2nd hand 20gb hard drive and installing it on it. To see if it works then. If it's rejects to install with another Ubuntu then you can be sure it won't install on windows. Hope this is of some help