PDA

View Full Version : Using grep with hyphens

woodson2
January 31st, 2013, 06:46 PM
This is on a RHEL 6 box with bash 4.1.2

I'm trying to to use grep to only find those lines containing matches that form whole words.

The -w option works fantastic unless of course that word has a hyphen.

The problem is I will get a hit on "test-group" which is a good thing, but I will also get a hist on "test" which is bad because the group test doesn't exist. It appears that once grep hits a hyphen it treats the preceding text as a whole word.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Next time no groups with hyphens..

Thanks

rnerwein
January 31st, 2013, 07:58 PM

I'm trying to to use grep to only find those lines containing matches that form whole words.

The problem is I will get a hit on "test-group" which is a good thing, but I will also get a hist on "test" which is bad because the group test doesn't exist. It appears that once grep hits a hyphen it treats the preceding text as a whole word.

Thanks
hi
may be: grep -w test your_file | grep -v \-
or : grep -w test your_file | grep \-
cheers

ofnuts
January 31st, 2013, 11:30 PM

Thanks
If there are no underscores (or even of there are, in many cases):

tr '-' '_' < file | grep -w (your options) | tr '_' '-'