PDA

View Full Version : Mandriva's New Website Design is Really Appealing

vecciora
January 31st, 2013, 04:53 PM
Well, that's what I thought. Here is the news: http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2013/01/31/we-have-a-new-website/.

It surprises me. I thought Mandriva is somewhat dead but with this fresh look of new website, it makes me feel happy.

My current distro is Mageia but Mageia doesn't have modern look like Ubuntu, Fedora, or OpenSUSE do at least for me. But I love Mandriva 2011 look & feel the most even though it's not as modern looking as those three.

NobleYorkshire
February 6th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I use Mageia 2 and enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing how Mageia 3 is.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 6th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah - I have a soft spot for Mageia.

Things that would really warm me to this distro:

a) An Xfce edition
It is already an option in the repos but for Xfce users it makes no sense to first download the Gnome or KDE version and then install Xfce, particularly when you consider Xfce is often Hobson's choice for users of older hardware.

b) A sexier Gnome
The Mageia Control Center is built for KDE and looks out of place in the Gnome edition. I expect a more obsessive approach to "style" from a French distro :-)

Distrowatch rankings mean precious little - as we all know. However, Mageia has an enviable place in the Linux community spotlight and they could do more to capitalise on that.

Any regular home user wanting a free Mandriva should use Mageia since Mandriva has decided to base their own distro on Mageia now, as I understand it. If you know you will never subscribe to Mandriva, there's really no point in a trial :-)

However, don't expect Mageia to be like Ubuntu. It's more along the lines of OpenSUSE.

vecciora
February 7th, 2013, 04:52 PM
You could use Mageia dual arch and then install Xfce with "urpmi task-xfce". :popcorn:

I think dual arch is awesome. I could make a customized system and no bloat easily with it.

urpmi is easy to use but the auto-orphan feature really is bad. More harm than help.

Mageia is more balanced than Ubuntu IMO. It's not perfect and have problems too but Ubuntu nowadays is like trying a bit too much to be beginner-friendly.

I don't like Ubuntu Software Center because it's confusing. I prefer to use Synaptic like the old days. I'm not that familiar with apt and I don't know how to enable software sources other than using Synaptic.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 7th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about orphaned packages. That's quite an inconvenience.

Will give it another spin when Mageia 3 comes out.

I tend to use synaptic too but at the same time, I think the visual element of Software Center is great.

MadmanRB
February 7th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Well, that's what I thought. Here is the news: http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2013/01/31/we-have-a-new-website/.

It surprises me. I thought Mandriva is somewhat dead but with this fresh look of new website, it makes me feel happy.

My current distro is Mageia but Mageia doesn't have modern look like Ubuntu, Fedora, or OpenSUSE do at least for me. But I love Mandriva 2011 look & feel the most even though it's not as modern looking as those three.

Well mandriva desktop is dead, not mandriva itself.
Shame mandriva destop is dead but with Mageia and ROSA those missing mandriva can have it in those.