PDA

View Full Version : Apps that should come installed with Ubuntu

NobleYorkshire
January 31st, 2013, 06:32 AM
I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I am having trouble using the Forum Search.

In your opinion, what are some apps that are so good and/or so helpful that they should come installed with Ubuntu?

deadflowr
January 31st, 2013, 08:30 AM
A tweaking tool like myunity or ubuntu tweak.

santosh83
January 31st, 2013, 09:09 AM
I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I am having trouble using the Forum Search.

In your opinion, what are some apps that are so good and/or so helpful that they should come installed with Ubuntu?

VLC player
Chrome or Chromium (in addition to Firefox)
Calibre (latest version with a script to update it from the upstream site rather than from the repository, since it changes very rapidly)
WINE (with a friendly front-end like PlayOnLinux)
GIMP

waltd
January 31st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Out of the box support for all VPN types. Currently Ubuntu only has PPTP. I would like to see all the VPN types included.

elliotn
January 31st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Gimp.
Audatious
Vlc

SeijiSensei
January 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM
You all do realize that compressing an entire distribution onto a single CD requires making a lot of painful decisions, right? So if you are going to create a wishlist of packages to include, I challenge you to identify the packages that you think should be removed in their stead. The gimp and gimp-data packages total about 6 MB in size (http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gimp/). What would you remove to get that 6 MB?

snowpine
January 31st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Battle for Wesnoth. That game is seriously addictive! Also it would show Windows gamers that there are some excellent native Linux games, too. Gaming is one area where Linux has traditionally lagged behind Windows; I think Ubuntu needs to prove this is no longer the case.

NobleYorkshire
January 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
You all do realize that compressing an entire distribution onto a single CD requires making a lot of painful decisions, right? So if you are going to create a wishlist of packages to include, I challenge you to identify the packages that you think should be removed in their stead. The gimp and gimp-data packages total about 6 MB in size (http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gimp/). What would you remove to get that 6 MB?

I definitely understand what you are saying.

I was just trying to get a feel of what some fellow Ubuntu users thought were great apps that are at that level of usefulness/quality that they would recommend being installed on Ubuntu.

Sorry about the confusion and I definitely understand where you are coming from.

forrestcupp
January 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
The gimp and gimp-data packages total about 6 MB in size (http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gimp/). What would you remove to get that 6 MB?

Unity. :D

Seriously, I could probably come up with a ton of stuff that isn't as deserving as Gimp.

Umbra Diaboli
January 31st, 2013, 04:24 PM
Tomboy notes - > I use this app all the time and have it synced through Ubuntu One.

SeijiSensei
January 31st, 2013, 04:25 PM
I probably could, too. My only point was that wishlists alone are irrelevant unless you also suggest what should be removed to accommodate the added packages.

Sort of like budgeting, only we don't get to borrow additional CD space from China.

Untold
January 31st, 2013, 04:32 PM
VLC player
Chrome or Chromium (in addition to Firefox)
Calibre (latest version with a script to update it from the upstream site rather than from the repository, since it changes very rapidly)
WINE (with a friendly front-end like PlayOnLinux)
GIMP

I think you summed it up real nice there. Those are what I install upon a new install.

santosh83
January 31st, 2013, 04:39 PM
I probably could, too. My only point was that wishlists alone are irrelevant unless you also suggest what should be removed to accommodate the added packages.

Sort of like budgeting, only we don't get to borrow additional CD space from China.

Err maybe I'm overlooking something really obvious here, but since the official Ubuntu download ISOs are already above CD size at ~760Mb, and need to be burned onto a DVD anyway, is it really that pressing now to be shaving off a few Mb here and there?

I don't mean to suggest that it go up to maximum DVD size but something like 1Gb shouldn't really make a difference to those already downloading 700Mb. And a lot can be included in those extra 300Mb.

Grenage
January 31st, 2013, 05:05 PM
Tbh, any system that's capable of running Ubuntu is going to have a DVD drive.

snowpine
January 31st, 2013, 05:06 PM
Slackware is 2.3gb, Sabayon is 2.1gb, etc.
I really think Ubuntu could be bigger and include more software. :)

kurt18947
January 31st, 2013, 05:16 PM
From my post-install install list:

- Tint2 panel
- HTOP
-gscan2pdf
-gnome-system-tools. This brings back the superior (IMO) users and groups app.
-system-config-printer. Superior to current printer management app IMO.
-Synaptic
-Gdebi
-gnome-tweak-tool

Some of the 'alternative' *buntu distros include some of these by default.

santosh83
January 31st, 2013, 06:03 PM
From my post-install install list:

-Synaptic

Oh Synaptic isn't installed by default on modern Ubuntu release is it? To me it's irreplaceable. Software Centre often makes me want to go live in a cave! :-P

kurt18947
January 31st, 2013, 07:05 PM
Oh Synaptic isn't installed by default on modern Ubuntu release is it? To me it's irreplaceable. Software Centre often makes me want to go live in a cave! :-P

Synaptic is not installed by default AFAIK. Software Center might have an advantage for new users, though. It gives a better picture of the function of a package to someone who barely knows what a package it. They both have their advantages & disadvantages.

Hishighness
January 31st, 2013, 07:50 PM
Unity. :D

Seriously, I could probably come up with a ton of stuff that isn't as deserving as Gimp.

LOL. I hated Unity at first, but it's startin to grow on me. I just don't like how you can't customize it. I also think it's hilarious that a project called Unity had the effect of splitting the community.

In answer to the OPs question

- apt-fast
- chrome
- Guake (Whoever made this is a genius)
- Ubuntu Tweak
- VLC
- Wine
- KolourPaint

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

monkeybrain2012
January 31st, 2013, 08:03 PM
Don't really care as I always get updated versions through ppa or compile them myself for software that I use often (especially multimedia stuffs as the repo versions tend to be pathetically out of date).

Many people say vlc, well vlc's strongest selling point is the bundled codecs, if it comes with Ubuntu's default installation the codecs will be stripped and it will be just another mediaplayer and frankly not as good as mplayer + Smplayer IMO (It has its own codecs not through medibuntu or the restricted extras) If that happens my first thing to do would be to replace it with an uncrippled version from videolan's ppa.

But some system managing tools would be good to come with the default as they don't need upgrading very much and don't take up a lot of space:

gdebi

synaptic

dconf-tools

ccsm

gnome-tweak-tools("advanced settings")

gnome-system-tools (for managing user and groups)

openvpn plugin for network manager

monkeybrain2012
January 31st, 2013, 08:15 PM

The gnome games should be removed. Does anyone actually play them?

hydn79
January 31st, 2013, 08:21 PM
GIMP, Filezilla, Chrome, Back In Time

collisionystm
January 31st, 2013, 08:27 PM

Considering the Ubuntu distro as it sits is no longer a standard CD size, 700mb, and is now 768MB, I think its safe to say we are not limited by space. I think everyone should be free to traverse ideas up to a full 4.7GB dvd.

Windows and OSX use a DVD size.

Have an Ubuntu full install on a dvd, and a minimal live cd, just like OpenSuse.

forrestcupp
January 31st, 2013, 09:03 PM
santosh83 and collisionystm made a good point. We're no longer limited to CD size, so go ahead and dream big. :)

mamamia88
January 31st, 2013, 09:40 PM
Personally I don't think the system should come with anything but a DE,browser, and software center. Isn't that the whole point in having a software center being to make installing software as simple as one click? I say give people the catalog and let them order what they want. Oh and definitely include an archive manager of some sort but besides that let people install what they want themselves. Or include the software on the disk but have people place a checkmark in a box during install for popular software that they may want but don't go installing it on peoples system if they don't want it.

kurt18947
February 1st, 2013, 12:18 AM
Personally I don't think the system should come with anything but a DE,browser, and software center. Isn't that the whole point in having a software center being to make installing software as simple as one click? I say give people the catalog and let them order what they want. Oh and definitely include an archive manager of some sort but besides that let people install what they want themselves. Or include the software on the disk but have people place a checkmark in a box during install for popular software that they may want but don't go installing it on peoples system if they don't want it.

That would actually seems like a great idea. Not everyone has fast unlimited internet to download umpteen apps. To use a car analogy, install the 'body, engine and power train', then offer a choice. Either select a 'bundle' sort of like a automotive 'trim package' or select alacarte components and accessories. The risk with offering alacarte only is that new users would be overwhelmed. I wonder if that would be viable.

mamamia88
February 1st, 2013, 06:53 AM
That would actually seems like a great idea. Not everyone has fast unlimited internet to download umpteen apps. To use a car analogy, install the 'body, engine and power train', then offer a choice. Either select a 'bundle' sort of like a automotive 'trim package' or select alacarte components and accessories. The risk with offering alacarte only is that new users would be overwhelmed. I wonder if that would be viable.

don't really see why it wouldn't be viable. it doesn't even have to be that complicated just make a list of popular software and let the user check a box what to install. they could even include the software on the disc so no internet connection is required. checking the box for a particular piece of software would be just like entering an unlock code for on disc dlc in a videogame. i don't see why a distro can't be easy but also offer choice at the same time. and why would new users be overwhelmed. it's like going to mcdonalds and them asking if you want fries and a coke with your burger. just give a list with a short accurate description of a piece of software and a screenshot and let the user decide whether or not to install it on the final system.

monkeybrain2012
February 1st, 2013, 07:16 AM

I second (or third) that this is an excellent idea. I would want to see, however, some system maintaining and configuring tools (gnome-tweak-tools, dconf-tools, ccsm, gnome-system-tools) installed by default because users may not know of their existence. Other than that a checklist of familiar user software during install or a catalogue after install should be good enough.

Bradley129
February 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM
lets see

ubuntu tweak
GNOME ALSA Mixer
GNOME Partician Editer

Jakin
February 1st, 2013, 07:43 AM
Compression libs for rar and 7zip. Everytime i do a clean install, i forget to install them, until i right click compress as rar/7zip and the dialog just sets there with progress bar...
I think to myself "WHY is this taking so long?!" and then it dawns on me... i forgot to install the utilities.
Seriously, why is it even an option if i haven't installed them yet.

NobleYorkshire
February 1st, 2013, 07:55 AM
Considering the Ubuntu distro as it sits is no longer a standard CD size, 700mb, and is now 768MB, I think its safe to say we are not limited by space. I think everyone should be free to traverse ideas up to a full 4.7GB dvd.

Windows and OSX use a DVD size.

Have an Ubuntu full install on a dvd, and a minimal live cd, just like OpenSuse.

I like the idea of multiple sizes of Ubuntu to download. It would be cool if there was a full DVD installation size that contained more programs, including a lot of the great ones that were compiled on this list.

Also, I think it is important to maintain as said in this thread the feeling of customization by offering a minimal installation where you can pick and choose what you want to install based off a smaller/minimal Ubuntu package.

linuxcoffeelover
February 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
I guess terminator included would be nice.

NobleYorkshire
February 2nd, 2013, 05:40 AM
I guess terminator included would be nice.

That's a nice one! Hadn't seen that before! That would be a good one to have!!!

pierceTN
February 2nd, 2013, 05:53 AM
Some Programs I use regularly that would be a great addition to the default program list:p:

Gimp
Guake Terminal
Filezilla
Everpad
Gnome tweak tool
Gparted
Iced tea web start
and Chrome

snowpine
February 2nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Also Focuswriter (an excellent full-screen word processor/editor for people with ADHD) and Netflix-Desktop (sooo happy we can watch Netflix in Linux now!).

mamamia88
February 2nd, 2013, 05:59 AM
Some Programs I use regularly that would be a great addition to the default program list:p:

Gimp
Guake Terminal
Filezilla
Everpad
Gnome tweak tool
Gparted
Iced tea web start
and Chrome
Is gparted not included anymore or is it just hidden from the menus? Pretty sure it was on the live cd. Also would there be any legal ramifications for a distro that shipped with chrome?

drawkcab
February 2nd, 2013, 06:15 AM
I'm going to side with the minimalists who reject the premise of this thread, while also noting that the OP was asking only to get a sense of what apps others valued.

Even though we are in the era of the DVD-size distro .iso I really, really, really don't want Ubuntu to turn out like some monstrosity like Sabyon.

pierceTN
February 2nd, 2013, 06:20 AM
Is gparted not included anymore or is it just hidden from the menus? Pretty sure it was on the live cd. Also would there be any legal ramifications for a distro that shipped with chrome?

I'm pretty sure I had to install Gparted. I don't know if Chrome would have any legal ordeals or not, if you can install it in Ubuntu I don't know why it couldn't be installed by default...

monkeybrain2012
February 2nd, 2013, 06:27 AM

gparted is never included, at least since 10.04 (when I started using Ubuntu) It is always in the live iso though. Chrome is proprietary that's why it is not even in the repo. Easy enough to just download and install from google though.

deadflowr
February 2nd, 2013, 06:48 AM
Chrome is proprietary that's why it is not even in the repo. Easy enough to just download and install from google though.

So is flash, yet somehow I can still install it from the repos.(Though it is now getting aged.)
There are lots of proprietary software available through various repos, like the canonical partners repo.(skype)
I think chrome unavailable in the repos is a google decision, and not an Ubuntu decision.

jeehyun
February 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
Codecs, VLC and GIMP

addegsson
February 2nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
Preload.

whatthefunk
February 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Nothing. Why fill somebody's computer up with bloatware they probably wont use. Ive gone through this whole thread and found only a couple packages that I use. The rest would be deleted upon install, just like 90% of the other programs that come with a fresh install.

Unless of course you guys want to go the Windows way...last time I bought a Windows computer I got something like 10 free photo manipulation apps, half a dozen productivity programs for schedule management and note taking etc, and a whole range of other pointless junk, all of which was completely useless to me. So yeah, we could include every browser known to man in the DVD, have six different paint programs, 10 media players, 27 different ways to manage packages, 412 different terminal emulation options, and a bunch of obscure terminal programs that 99.99% of the world doesnt know what to do with...or we could give people the basics they need and make it easy for them to install programs which suit their needs.

zombifier25
February 2nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Nothing. Why fill somebody's computer up with bloatware they probably wont use. Ive gone through this whole thread and found only a couple packages that I use. The rest would be deleted upon install, just like 90% of the other programs that come with a fresh install.

Unless of course you guys want to go the Windows way...last time I bought a Windows computer I got something like 10 free photo manipulation apps, half a dozen productivity programs for schedule management and note taking etc, and a whole range of other pointless junk, all of which was completely useless to me. So yeah, we could include every browser known to man in the DVD, have six different paint programs, 10 media players, 27 different ways to manage packages, 412 different terminal emulation options, and a bunch of obscure terminal programs that 99.99% of the world doesnt know what to do with...or we could give people the basics they need and make it easy for them to install programs which suit their needs.

Oh man why did you have to remind me of the nightmares of preinstalled Windows? Now I can't sleep well at night.

robert shearer
February 2nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
...or we could give people the basics they need and make it easy for them to install programs which suit their needs.

Bodhi Linux :-)
http://www.bodhilinux.com/

santosh83
February 2nd, 2013, 02:08 PM

Also, I think it is important to maintain as said in this thread the feeling of customization by offering a minimal installation where you can pick and choose what you want to install based off a smaller/minimal Ubuntu package.

I guess the NetInstall version can do just that. During installation it can pull additional software from the repositories based on what you selected, so there'll be no installed programs you didn't need.

stalkingwolf
February 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
there are already releases that have about anything already installed. Super Os, Ultimate edition etc.

As i recall Zorin has chrome as the default browser.

recently i had to install windows on a computer. with every program i installed came a banshee scream at all the useless bloatware it wanted to install. Just one example, if i had installed all the tool bars the software wanted to the browser window would have ceased to exist.

One of the beauties of Ubuntu and its derivatives is i can install what i use and dump what i dont.

drawkcab
February 2nd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Preload.

Ok, good idea.

forrestcupp
February 3rd, 2013, 12:02 AM
don't really see why it wouldn't be viable. it doesn't even have to be that complicated just make a list of popular software and let the user check a box what to install. they could even include the software on the disc so no internet connection is required. checking the box for a particular piece of software would be just like entering an unlock code for on disc dlc in a videogame. i don't see why a distro can't be easy but also offer choice at the same time. and why would new users be overwhelmed. it's like going to mcdonalds and them asking if you want fries and a coke with your burger. just give a list with a short accurate description of a piece of software and a screenshot and let the user decide whether or not to install it on the final system.
You're describing the Ubuntu minimal iso. They already have that.

mamamia88
February 3rd, 2013, 06:29 AM
You're describing the Ubuntu minimal iso. They already have that.
My experience with the Ubuntu mini iso was I installed the system then was left with a command line. Then I apt-got xfce and other stuff I wanted. That still has to fetch all the stuff from the online repos. What I'm suggesting is that we are given a graphical environment with stuff that people expect from a modern operating system like a web browser and office suite and then let them chose additional stuff that is included on the disc but not installed without the users wish. One of the reasons why I like the idea of Ubuntu is that it is a very quick install and all my hardware works out of the box. That being said I hate the fact that they assume I want a twitter client,email,cloud based storage, and a bunch of other stuff by default. Ubuntu tries to please everybody all the time and and you can't really do that. I think that the goal should be to provide in the default install what can reasonably be expected to be there. For example I expect a car to have breaks but I don't necessarily think it should include ass warmers by default. But if i ask and pay a premium I can have the ass warmers you just have to special order it. But i don't expect to have to build the car from the ground up just to be able to have a car do I? That's all I'm suggesting for Ubuntu. Provide sane defaults and then provide options for the rest. It seems like in linux there really isn't any middle ground. You are either forced to remove stuff that you don't want post install or start from absolutely nothing and add everything.

forrestcupp
February 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
My experience with the Ubuntu mini iso was I installed the system then was left with a command line. Then I apt-got xfce and other stuff I wanted. That still has to fetch all the stuff from the online repos. What I'm suggesting is that we are given a graphical environment with stuff that people expect from a modern operating system like a web browser and office suite and then let them chose additional stuff that is included on the disc but not installed without the users wish. One of the reasons why I like the idea of Ubuntu is that it is a very quick install and all my hardware works out of the box. That being said I hate the fact that they assume I want a twitter client,email,cloud based storage, and a bunch of other stuff by default. Ubuntu tries to please everybody all the time and and you can't really do that. I think that the goal should be to provide in the default install what can reasonably be expected to be there. For example I expect a car to have breaks but I don't necessarily think it should include ass warmers by default. But if i ask and pay a premium I can have the ass warmers you just have to special order it. But i don't expect to have to build the car from the ground up just to be able to have a car do I? That's all I'm suggesting for Ubuntu. Provide sane defaults and then provide options for the rest. It seems like in linux there really isn't any middle ground. You are either forced to remove stuff that you don't want post install or start from absolutely nothing and add everything.
Yeah, when I tried to run the mini iso, I wished that it could have been much easier and less confusing. It's a good concept, but they need to enhance the installation a lot. I doubt if we'll ever see an official release of Ubuntu with the whole repository on disc. I think Debian has that, don't they?

mamamia88
February 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah, when I tried to run the mini iso, I wished that it could have been much easier and less confusing. It's a good concept, but they need to enhance the installation a lot. I doubt if we'll ever see an official release of Ubuntu with the whole repository on disc. I think Debian has that, don't they?

They have 3 or 4 dvds you can download not sure what's on all of them. Anyway it would take way too long to download 12gb for most people. I'm not suggesting they have the entire repos on the disc just the popular stuff. For example take statistics of stuff downloaded after a default install from software center and then include the most popular stuff as an option post install. And edit how would they have to tweak the install much? The base install would install say desktop environment, browser, and software center. They would provide a list of other possible stuff to install at the end. Then a script that takes the users selection and runs dpkg on the deb files contained on the disc is run. Or something like that. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

snowpine
February 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM
That's exactly what Debian does. The most popular packages are on DVD 1, the next most popular packages on DVD 2, etc. so for most users, DVD 1 (or even CD 1) is an okay starting point. (You can always fill in a few extra packages post-install using your package manager of choice.)

In face I seem to recall Debian asks you during the installation whether you want to participate in the package popularity survey or not.

And of course there is 'tasksel': http://wiki.debian.org/tasksel

Jay Car
February 6th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Not only does Software Centre make you want to live in a cave, while waiting for it to complete an installation it ALSO allows you PLENTY of time to find a good cave location and wait until time, wind, rain and wandering varmints carve the cave out and decorate it with petrified bat guano and fossils of small animal bones.

Synaptic makes me happy.

S Hartwell
February 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Chrome. That is a must-have at this point. It's just that good of a browser.

Amarok would be nice but that's just personal preference.

Over-all I got to say Ubuntu is great at packaging the most demanded applications.