PDA

View Full Version : Mount Drives via script

n8af
January 31st, 2013, 05:51 AM
Hi all,

For my own reasons, i want to create a script to mount some network drives. I was using fstab; however, for some reason my wireless is intermittent with ubuntu 12.04 and it causes hangups while booting and shutting down. In the meantime, i'm trying to write a simple script that will do this for me once i'm logged in at the desktop.

Here is what i have so far:

#!/bin/bash
clear
echo "Network Drive Mount"
echo "-----------------------------------"
echo "What to do?"
echo "1: Mount Documents"
echo "2: Mount Music"
echo "3: Mount Pictures"
echo "4: Mount Server Drive F"
echo "5: Mount ALL OF THE ABOVE"
read userselect

if [ "$userselect" = 1 ]; then
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/documents/nate/ /home/nate/Documents
fi

if [ "$userselect" = 2]; then
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/music /home/nate/Music
fi

if [ "$userselect" = 3]; then
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/pictures /home/nate/Pictures
fi

if [ "$userselect" = 4]; then
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/ /home/nate/mounts
fi

if [ "$userselect" = 5]; then
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/documents/nate/ /home/nate/Documents
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/music /home/nate/Music
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/pictures /home/nate/Pictures
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/ /home/nate/mounts
fi

Right now the only option that works is number 1. All the other options just exit the script without entering the if statements. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. First time writing a bash script;)

Bucky Ball
January 31st, 2013, 05:54 AM
Thread moved to Programming Talk

r-senior
January 31st, 2013, 11:58 AM
When checking that two things are equal, use '=='. A single '=' is used for assigning a value to something.

if [ "$userselect" == 1 ]; then

furything
January 31st, 2013, 12:14 PM
Use elif to combine statements

so
#!/bin/bash clear
echo "What to do?"
read userselect

elif [ "$userselect" = 2]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 3]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 4]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 5]; then
fi
Note last elif test for =5 could be default so just 'else' that is key 1-4 do as asked anything else just do all

When checking that two things are equal, use '=='. A single '=' is used for assigning a value to something.This is true for c,c++,c# and a number of other programming but not here in bash

rnerwein
January 31st, 2013, 08:28 PM
hi
just as a hint:
#!/bin/bash
echo -n "your selection: "
read userselect

case $userselect in
1) sudo mount ..... ;;
2) sudo mount ..... ;;
3) sudo mount ..... ;;
4) sudo mount ..... ;;
5) sudo mount ..... ;;
*) echo "wrong input"
exit 1
esac

# and you can apend your /etc/sudoers with: your_name ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/bash, /bin/mount
# to avoid the password question.

have fun with bash
cheers

n8af
February 1st, 2013, 02:26 AM
When checking that two things are equal, use '=='. A single '=' is used for assigning a value to something.

if [ "$userselect" == 1 ]; then

Oh yes! it was late last night and i think my brain just shut down! I can't believe i missed this.

Edit:
Note last elif test for =5 could be default so just 'else' that is key 1-4 do as asked anything else just do all
This is true for c,c++,c# and a number of other programming but not here in bash

Ah! I was wondering after reading through the tutorial again.

Thanks for the additional posts. You guys more than helped answer my question! And thanks for the no password method! You guys rock! :guitar:

n8af
February 1st, 2013, 04:25 AM
Use elif to combine statements

so
#!/bin/bash clear
echo "What to do?"
read userselect

elif [ "$userselect" = 2]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 3]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 4]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 5]; then
fi
This is true for c,c++,c# and a number of other programming but not here in bash

I tried this method but it did the same thing. It only mounts the first option and ignores the others.
However, I did try the other format:

#!/bin/bash
echo -n "your selection: "
read userselect

case $userselect in
1) sudo mount ..... ;;
2) sudo mount ..... ;;
3) sudo mount ..... ;;
4) sudo mount ..... ;;
5) sudo mount ..... ;;
*) echo "wrong input"
exit 1
esac

This one works great!

I also tried inserting the no password command into the sudoers file (using visudo command); however, it still asks for the password. This isn't a very big deal, i can live with it. Thanks though!

furything
February 1st, 2013, 08:21 AM
You know the example I looked at states just one = for equivalence
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2

but it is two
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/06/bash-conditional-expression/

or can you do both?
Not experienced with bash as you can see

n8af
February 2nd, 2013, 04:51 AM
You know the example I looked at states just one = for equivalence
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2

but it is two
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/06/bash-conditional-expression/

or can you do both?
Not experienced with bash as you can see

I tried it with both a single '=' and a double '==' with the same result. I'm not sure as to why it was skipping the other options while using the if/then/else conditions.

I thought maybe my mount command wasn't written correctly until i tried the other menu option in which i just cut and pasted the mount command and now it works. :confused:

Nevertheless, thanks for your input!

r-senior
February 2nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
I think it is something very trivial and it confused me into writing nonsense.

I took the script, changed the = to == and it worked ... well it did after I added spaces before the closing square brackets. ;)

= 2]; then

= 2 ]; then

I think that was the problem. Both styles of equality test work (once the brackets are fixed). Obviously the case statement takes the brackets out of the game.

furything
February 4th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks r-senior that makes sense.
I will try to remember this (] with spacing) as sometimes I edit scripts that closely match what I want but not quite.