PDA

View Full Version : Do you use bookmarks seriously?

Derek Djons
July 7th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Everybody knows them and uses them. But do you use them seriously? Often people tend to save an article or part of a website - content they have found as a bookmark.

As for me, I use bookmarks everyday and I back them up every week in case I trash a system or my harddrive goes down. At the moment I have 281 website indexes in Firefox spread over 35 categories. It excist out of websites with news, info and tutorials. But also the normal stuff such as email access and even a link to my router.

Rackerz
July 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Everybody knows them and uses them. But do you use them seriously? Often people tend to save an article or part of a website - content they have found as a bookmark.

As for me, I use bookmarks everyday and I back them up every week in case I trash a system or my harddrive goes down. At the moment I have 281 website indexes in Firefox spread over 35 categories. It excist out of websites with news, info and tutorials. But also the normal stuff such as email access and even a link to my router.

Jesus! That's alot of bookmarks, and yes I use them. My memory get's owned everytime I go too sleep so I have to use bookmarks.

FredB
July 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM
My minefield (what will become firefox 3.0 in 2007) is around 250 Kb big ;)

So, there is about 250 or 300 bookmarks in it. About 6 years of mozilla based browsing ;)

nalmeth
July 7th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I bookmark a lot, mostly because I'll come across a lot that I don't have time to read fully, and it works to save it for later.

It's frustrating though, dealing with different browsers, and trying to find a main base for your bookmarks. I'm trying to get into delicious, but I'm looking for something that makes my bookmarks easier to read and tell apart.

I really like opera for bookmarking, but use firefox most of the time. :-?

picpak
July 7th, 2006, 11:34 PM
A couple months ago I would've said my own memory, but I've gotten back into the habit of bookmarking.

What I like best is nicknames. Rather than typing the address, I type one or two letters and go to the site.

christhemonkey
July 7th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I have about 10.

So no dont really use it very much.

Wallakoala
July 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah I have some good sites that I would hate to lose. I backup my bookmarks periodically.

Also if I want to make a little note of the site I can just drag it into one of my bookmark folders.

UbuWu
July 7th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I use foxmarks to backup my bookmarks. No effort and they are acccessable from everywhere.

Wolki
July 8th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I use some, but I tend to type the adress for stuff i use often that is not to complicated. That said, epiphany pretty much revolutionied my use of bookmarks, I find them much more useful now.

bruce89
July 8th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I have 74 bookmarks over 20 topics, thank goodness for Epiphany's bookmark tagging feature.

junior aspirin
July 8th, 2006, 01:15 AM
i bookmark everything. although sometimes i have to do a big clean up. i use deskbar to open my bookmarks, makes life soo much easier.

futz
July 8th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Hell yeah! I've got about 1.3 megabytes of bookmarks at present. The same list is on all computers here in the swamp. They get resynchronized whenever I get around to it. They're well organized and the older junk gets swept out fairly regularly.

richbarna
July 8th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Hell yeah, I've got hundreds. My two main sections are "Ubuntu help" with names such as (howto Automatix, howto xorg, howto sudo, howto sources list etc) that way I can post links quickly for new users with problems. I have a section called "bored" where every now and then I go mad and search for all kinds of stuff, but I don't look at it immediately, I bookmark it for a day when I'm bored.

I,ve got an ubuntuforums extension for firefox so that doesn't need bookmarks. Other sections are music, linux, humour, torrent, etc.

I back up my bookmarks on a Usb pen-drive, that way I can carry them around with me.

Nice poll and thread by the way :)

jayemef
July 8th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I use bookmarks for sites that I frequently visit, while I post good reads that I might want to look up later in del.icio.us (http://del.icio.us/).

yabbadabbadont
July 8th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I've got 193 in mine at the moment. It changes now and then when I go through and clean them up.

DirtDawg
July 8th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I bookmark a limited number of sites I visit everyday (this being one of them). Then I have folders I bookmark useful or interesting things in, but I usually clean them out eventually.

I don't like too much clutter.

DoktorSeven
July 8th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I bookmark my most frequently visited sites because I'm far too lazy to type in the URL.

I'm a lazy, lazy man. :)

DirtDawg
July 8th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I bookmark my most frequently visited sites because I'm far too lazy to type in the URL.

I'm a lazy, lazy man. :)

You so lazy!

atoponce
July 8th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I must admit that I don't use bookmarks as much as I could. Generally, I only visit a the same few sites each day. If I am not there, then Google is my best friend. For work, I have a lot more than at home, just due to the nature of the job. But even then, I could probably count them all on two hands.

fuscia
July 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM
i bookmark sites i frequent: forums, yahoo groups, fantasy teams, imageshack, gnome and kde looks, stuff like that...

GarethMB
July 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I've got 7 bookmarks. When i'm working i book mark sites till i'm done with them.

Derek Djons
July 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I've got 7 bookmarks. When i'm working i book mark sites till i'm done with them.

I'll hope Ubuntu will last longer in your bookmarks than previous websites :D