PDA

View Full Version : grml - Live-CD for sysadmins / texttool-users / geeks

Derek Djons
July 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Today I found what I was searching for a long time. I immediately wanted to share it with you all. While working at a computer store (almost a year ago) I used Hiren's BootCD to check on known problems such as memory, harddrive & partitioning.

Though the CD is useable for hardware and partitioning I was searching for something more which could also check networking and etc.

While browsing osdir.com I stumbled upon grml. Below here is a description. At then end you'll find a link to the developers website. It's opensource and based on Knoppix.

grml is a bootable CD (Live-CD) originally based on Knoppix and nowadays based on Debian. grml includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for users of texttools and system administrators. grml provides automatic hardware detection. You can use grml (for example) as a rescue system, for analyzing systems/networks or as a working environment. It is not necessary to install anything to a harddisk; you don't even need a harddisk to run it. Due to on-the-fly decompression grml includes about 2.1 GiB of software and documentation on the CD. You don't have to pay anything to use grml because it is free software!

grml provides more than 2300 software packages! Excluding library stuff, more than 1700 packages remain. We don't ship KDE and OpenOffice, but more than 800 packages which Knoppix does not provide. You'll get security- network-related software, data recovery- and forensic-tools, LaTeX, many editors, shells, and of course many texttools.

grml provides several scripts and utils which make life easier. zsh is configured with the completion mechanism. grml-x is a wrapper for configuring and using the X window system. grml-crypt is a program that provides an easy wrapper arround cryptsetup, mkfs, losetup and mount. grml-vpn is a program to establish encrypted communication channels in a network, and so on...

grml website (http://www.grml.org/)

p.s. If you guys even know better LIVE-CD's which do the same, please share your links :)