PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing newest version of Ubuntu

Josh704
January 31st, 2013, 12:17 AM
Hello, I am new to using Ubuntu and also new to the forums here!
I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop with no problems at all and decided to install it on my old desktop also. On my first attempt a problem came up where I had to run with the 'noapic' option and after installing on reboot a message comes up immediately saying..

"Not Optimum Mode: Recommended Mode: 1280x1024 60Hz"

It does not even get to the screen showing partitions.
Also I am duel booting the newest version of Ubuntu with Windows and installed from a USB. I am very new to Linux so thanks for any helpful answers in advance!

Warprunner
January 31st, 2013, 12:44 AM
I don't have an answer for you, I will leave it up to those far more brilliant than I.
I do think to make your issue to be troubleshot easily, you may want to include some things.

Video Card
normal resolution of screen
booting from what?

Anything else that specs your machine. Better too much info than not enough! :)

Best of Luck!

lisati
January 31st, 2013, 12:48 AM
By "newest" I assume you mean 12.10 - in 6 months time there will be a different "newest" version.

Some information on system requirements for "x86" machines can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/installation-guide/i386/hardware-req.html

Josh704
January 31st, 2013, 12:58 AM
By "newest" I assume you mean 12.10 - in 6 months time there will be a different "newest" version.

Some information on system requirements for "x86" machines can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/installation-guide/i386/hardware-req.html

Yes sorry version 12.10 and it works perfectly fine when running from a USB? As soon as I installed it and restarted my computer that screen came up.

Josh704
January 31st, 2013, 01:23 AM
It has to be a problem with my monitor or something because I just tried a different(older)monitor and it worked perfect?

Bashing-om
January 31st, 2013, 03:53 AM
Josh704; Hi !

Possible that the onboard driver is not fully compatible with the higher resolution monitor. Have you tried a different driver from "Additional Drivers" ?

it's a thought

mörgæs
January 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM
Again, we need a complete hardware description in order to give a good answer.