PDA

View Full Version : 5 reasons Chromebooks beat Linux

Linuxratty
January 30th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Somebody has no clue what they are talking about.

"Linux desktop, and they will have no idea how to keep all the different software components updated."

http://www.thevarguy.com/2013/01/30/5-reasons-chromebooks-win-after-linux-netbooks-lost/

pierceTN
January 30th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I wonder if the person who wrote the article that had actually ever used Linux... :p

Linux Netbooks: You think Windows Patch Management is difficult? Show the average consumer the Linux desktop, and they will have no idea how to keep all the different software components updated.

^^^
...wow, I must be missing out on something.

(is'int chrome OS built on a Linux kernel? ):P )

deadflowr
January 30th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I like the idea of chromebooks, however if at anytime you lack a network connection, it's as useful as a brick.

Alcidious
January 30th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I bought the samsung chromebook for my wife for xmas, and I think it's the coolest thing ever!

It's more like a toy, or rather just an extra device to have around, not a replacement for a real laptop or computer. And if you lose internet connection, many of the apps work offline (such as documents). Not to mention, you can boot Ubuntu on a chromebook with it loaded on an SD card.

The Chromebook's are a tweaked up version of gentoo linux. I adore my chromebook, and I can't wait till school's over so I can hack it and play with it for real!

montag dp
January 30th, 2013, 08:38 PM
So just glancing at it, it looks like most of the reasons amount to "Google manages everything" on a Chromebook. Seems like the author may have missed the point of why most Linux users actually like to use Linux.

Primefalcon
January 30th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Also missed the whole update managers and repositories and package managers handling all the updates

Linuxratty
January 30th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I like the idea of chromebooks, however if at anytime you lack a network connection, it's as useful as a brick.

:D You need to leave that in his comment section! That's quite good.

na5h
January 31st, 2013, 12:05 AM

This.

Dragonbite
January 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Wow, this guy is really a tool, isn't he?

"range of operating systems"? No, it's all Linux. Ubuntu offers the most stability in you could go to System76, ZaReason or the other OEMs to get the same Ubuntu experience. (I don't have the link to the article about Ubuntu doing well installed on Dell computers outside of the USA.)

OpenOffice? I guess that shows how long ago he last tried Linux (if ever).

Yeah, he is spewing FUD about the package management because I don't think there are any distributions that do not include their own package management software where in 1-2 clicks you have ALL of your software updated.

The Chromebook can be commpared against a Linux netbook so much better than the old-school FUD-regurgitation he put on "paper". Sad thing is he gets paid for this crap.

I have a Chromebook (Cr-48) and my laptop runs Ubuntu 12.04 (and Windows 7 on a second hard drive). I do jump back and forth between them and for most things I use the Chromebook but when I need to do something more involved then I need a full computer OS.

Offline Google Docs helps with Chromebook's offline capabilities. It isn't absolute, but it helps.

JayKay3OOO
January 31st, 2013, 05:13 PM
Different tools for different uses.

If you need a desktop OS then Windows, Mac OS, or Linux.

If you need a web browser and can use internet productivity apps then Chromebook, Joli Cloud laptop Ipda or other tablets like Nexus 10.

If you just need to check your e-mail and need a computer on you all of the time then smarphone with biggest data cap you can afford.

You can't use a drill to eat your dinner with and you can't make holes in metal using your fingers. Different tools for different jobs.

Author is a bit of a dunderhead in this case.

frank604
January 31st, 2013, 11:09 PM
Usually I'm a nice guy but bloggers who misrepresent the truth need to get put down. This VAR guy is nothing but a joke. I feel sorry for the poor soul who reads this article and thinks he needs to buy a chromebook and jump on a pseudo-bandwagon.

3Miro
February 1st, 2013, 03:59 AM
Linux Netbooks: You think Windows Patch Management is difficult? Show the average consumer the Linux desktop, and they will have no idea how to keep all the different software components updated.

A popup that you can click to "update", this is simpler than even my Droid phone.

This review is nonsense.

drawkcab
February 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
This guy is not so bright but I would like to heap a ton of blame on ASUS. XandrOS on a 4gb ssd with no room to install any updates was a horrible idea. I think it convinced many buyers that Linux is basically a joke given how many refurbs hit the market shortly after. Had ASUS gone with Ubuntu, it would have been a different story.

zealibib slaughter
February 2nd, 2013, 06:42 AM
anyone who in the year 2013 still running feisty should not ever write a blog on anything remotely about computers :lolflag:

whatthefunk
February 2nd, 2013, 06:43 AM
Thats one of the worst articles Ive ever read. The best part is, in the end he shoots himself in the foot admiting that Chrome OS is nothing but a different flavor of Linux.

But the consumer Linux push has largely stopped in the U.S. Oh, unless you count Chrome OS and Android devices…

NobleYorkshire
February 2nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Different tools for different uses.

If you need a desktop OS then Windows, Mac OS, or Linux.

If you need a web browser and can use internet productivity apps then Chromebook, Joli Cloud laptop Ipda or other tablets like Nexus 10.

If you just need to check your e-mail and need a computer on you all of the time then smarphone with biggest data cap you can afford.

You can't use a drill to eat your dinner with and you can't make holes in metal using your fingers. Different tools for different jobs.

Author is a bit of a dunderhead in this case.

Exactly--different devices for different uses. I switch between using different OS's depending on what I am doing.

Same thing with devices.

Paqman
February 2nd, 2013, 08:05 AM

Not really.

When would you ever be without a connection? Spend a lot of time at the bottom of a well? You may not always have a fast connection, but when was the last time you honestly had no connection?
If you do lose connection momentarily (train going through a tunnel maybe?) web apps these days do work offline

CaptainMark
February 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
"They ran a range of operating systems. Many vendors chose Ubuntu, but even there the core operating system version varied from PC maker to PC maker. So the user experience varied in a huge way when moving from one netbook to the next. Who could you trust for a great system? The Linux industry never really decided on a standard…"

Well they are all different operating systems, the only thing they all have in common is they use the linux kernel, apart from that there's no rules to a linux distro, its like saying
"Cars! They're all rubbish because they're all totally different."

Would you bunch routers and smart tv's using the linux kernel into this sweeping statement as well, because they are meant to be different

whatthefunk
February 2nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Not really.

When would you ever be without a connection? Spend a lot of time at the bottom of a well? You may not always have a fast connection, but when was the last time you honestly had no connection?
If you do lose connection momentarily (train going through a tunnel maybe?) web apps these days do work offline

I dont know about the rest of you guys, but Im without an internet connection most of the day. Wifi is garbage in my area and paying cellular internet rates is not worth it. A Chromebook would be about useful as a rock.

kevinmchapman
February 2nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
If you haven't got a reliable internet connection, then the solution would be to not buy a Chromebook, but it does not invalidate the concept for everyone else.

In other news, I don't own a cat, so tins of cat food are as useful as a rock

whatthefunk
February 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
If you haven't got a reliable internet connection, then the solution would be to not buy a Chromebook, but it does not invalidate the concept for everyone else.

Of course. to some, a Chromebook is perfect. For others, not so perfect. to each their own.

On a side note, Ive alwasy thought cat food smelled really good. If I had a bunch of it laying around, I might be tempted to make some interesting tuna fish salad sandwiches.....

prodigy_
February 2nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
"Linux Netbooks: They ran a range of operating systems." I stopped reading at this point. The author doesn't even understand that different distributions are merely flavors of the same OS. He simply doesn't have a clue.

I often find Linux disappointing on desktops but for a typical low-mid range laptop that isn't going to be used for gaming it's nearly perfect (with a lightweight DE). And Chrome OS is a niche product. I think it's mostly intended for small companies that don't need any special software and want to cut costs by "outsourcing" their desktop engineering to Google. It's a totally valid solution as long as web-based apps can fulfill all your needs.

zealibib slaughter
February 2nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
On a side note, Ive alwasy thought cat food smelled really good. If I had a bunch of it laying around, I might be tempted to make some interesting tuna fish salad sandwiches.....

Ive now read everything possible to ever read on the forums :D

CaptainMark
February 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
@prodigy_ what your saying about Linux distros all being the same operating system just different flavours, you couldn't be more wrong. Linux is just the kernel, anything else is about a distro is completely up to the developers.

Think of it in this repsect, Lego just made a new toy called Mindstorms which runs on the linux kernel. Are you saying that the Lego toy runs the same operating system as your desktop, that would be impressive but sadly not. What you seem to under the impression of is that Linux is the same as GNU, Linux is such a small part of the ubuntu operating system (just one tiny file, not large file) I know it's common for people to mix these things up so I'm not criticizing you but don't be so quick to say someone "simply doesn't have a clue" when you seem quite misinformed yourself

And on another note, think about it: Zombies attack, chaos ensues, all the nearby houses and shops have long since been looted for food and weapons.
Cat food: it will last for decades, is full of essential nutrients, comes in a range of flavours, no-one else will want it, why not keep it around. Plus you'll have a healthy thick coat in the winter.

NobleYorkshire
February 3rd, 2013, 12:40 AM
"Linux Netbooks: They ran a range of operating systems." I stopped reading at this point. The author doesn't even understand that different distributions are merely flavors of the same OS. He simply doesn't have a clue.

I often find Linux disappointing on desktops but for a typical low-mid range laptop that isn't going to be used for gaming it's nearly perfect (with a lightweight DE). And Chrome OS is a niche product. I think it's mostly intended for small companies that don't need any special software and want to cut costs by "outsourcing" their desktop engineering to Google. It's a totally valid solution as long as web-based apps can fulfill all your needs.

Yeah I couldn't stand that part either--a huge misunderstanding on the authors part.

I also agree with your sentiments regarding regarding Linux distros and Chrome OS. Linux Distro's are also great for running in Virtual Box.

I use Ubuntu on a high powered computer but that's there's also a lot of other OS's on there including Windows ( >_< ) and some other Linux Distros. I just enjoy using Ubuntu as a whole and am looking forward to it becoming more and more capable in the future.

frank604
February 3rd, 2013, 03:39 AM

Upon closer inspection, when one actually reads a title "5 reasons chromebooks beat linux netbooks" there is a realization that a comparison between two products is made. When one device can only be used fully with wifi connection and becomes a brick or otherwise (there are some improved offline capabilities recently), and someone comments how that is not of their interest, it isn't smart to say what you did.

His comment was not to invalidate the concept, rather to point out that chromebooks would not attract the market that works/plays offline to refute the claim that chromebooks "win" over linux netbook.

In other news, if I said tins of cat food is better tasting than a hamburger, and you didn't want to eat cat food because it isn't your thing, do I state that just because you don't like it that you can't invalidate the concept of cat food?

monkeybrain2012
February 3rd, 2013, 04:21 AM
Can't help but notice that "the Var Guy" always refers to himself in the third person. And, oh, yeah, he proudly told us (in the commenst) that he is still running Ubuntu 7.04. Pretty funny.

leclerc65
February 3rd, 2013, 06:01 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a need for a netbook right now, but I would like to try Ubuntu 13.04 on one of the Chromes.

http://hothardware.com/News/Ubuntu-Powered-Samsung-A15-Chromebook-Shows-Impressive-Performance1/

mamamia88
February 3rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Chromebooks are great if everything you want can be accomplished on a chromebook and you can't possibly think of any situation where you might need something more. Just like the ipad is great but I would rather have a laptop because of true multitasking, multiple usb ports for charging all your stuff on the go, real keyboard for quicker inputs, so on and so on. Use what works for you and if someone asks if they should get something explain the benefits and drawbacks but don't go criticizing others choices or opinions just because they are different than yours. Different people have different needs that is why their are multiple product lines.

MadmanRB
February 3rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
If only he knew chrome OS is sort of based on linux, as is android.

kevinmchapman
February 3rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
Upon closer inspection, when one actually reads a title "5 reasons chromebooks beat linux netbooks" there is a realization that a comparison between two products is made. When one device can only be used fully with wifi connection and becomes a brick or otherwise (there are some improved offline capabilities recently), and someone comments how that is not of their interest, it isn't smart to say what you did.

Thanks for the (condescending) advice. It made me read the article and comments a second time, so this time I noticed your connection with it.

I know we are on a Linux forum, so it is expected that Linux will be defended, but there is, on here, and in those comments, some nonsense uttered. It is too easy to forget that users of this forum are not "average users". We happen to LIKE playing with Linux, but we are a small minority.

A few things at random:
It does not matter that all distributions are GNU/Linux - packages are not distribution-independent, so there is an element of confusion to the average user.

The average user does NOT want to install Linux himself

The average user does NOT want to download an ISO and create an installer, even if they are technically capable of following the instructions (and most are probably not)

As to the article itself, IMHO, he is wrong on point 3, debatable on point 2 and correct on the others. He didn't go into any depth, but I don't think he deserved some of the criticism he has got.

prodigy_
February 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
If only he knew chrome OS is sort of based on linux, as is android.

Android uses a fork of Linux kernel which is quite heavily modified by now. Chrome OS kernel is closer to mainline Linux kernel, I believe. Still, trying to re-create any kind of traditional Linux userland on either of them would hardly be worth the effort.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Most of the major PC makers continue to offer Linux notebooks (running Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu, etc.).

Really? Which companies are offering RHEL notebooks?

Was this really written in January 2013?

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'm going to download Ubuntu 7.04 now, just so I can see what colour the desktop is in his world.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 9th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Well I'll eat my hat:

http://www.zdnet.com/dell-re-enters-high-end-linux-laptop-market-with-red-hat-enterprise-linux-7000001583/

The usual suspects :)

tfcocs
May 26th, 2013, 10:40 PM
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Triblaze
May 27th, 2013, 12:28 AM
What I took away from points 1 & 2: Having diversity and choices available to you is bad. Everyone should use the same thing.

Updates being hard was amusing too, as the above said, there's sudo apt get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. Even if you're ignoring the command line, the update manager automatically pops up every few days with a list of updates, and all you do is click "install".

"The Linux industry never really decided on a standard..."
Because it's the complete opposite of what Linux is about.