PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual booter reinstalled Windows and needs GRUB2 back

pangren
January 30th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Hi,
I'm a dual booter and I just re-installed windows but I realized that my GRUB2 doesn't load on startup anymore. My Ubuntu is still working and somewhere inside my C: drive. Its just that I can't access it now. Is there anyway to re-install GRUB2 to the way it was before i re-installed windows?

Thank you!

Mark Phelps
January 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
If, in fact, Ubuntu is INSIDE your C: drive, do NOT, repeat NOT, reinstall GRUB2. That was a Wubi install, does not use GRUB2, and reinstalling GRUB2 will only make matters worse.

You first need to CONFIRM that this was a Wubi install. Look for a file named root.disk on your C: partition. IF that is there, this is a Wubi install.

pangren
January 31st, 2013, 01:04 AM
Opps sorry I don't mean that. Hmm... I really mean I've installed ubuntu before and during install, I have partitioned a 250GB partition for ubuntu.

Now in windows, it just appears as a Healthy partition in Disk manager. It is not really my C: drive . apologies.

pangren
January 31st, 2013, 03:12 AM
and there is no root.disk in my C: drive . Not a Wubi install

pangren
January 31st, 2013, 02:46 PM
Oops fixed it. I downloaded a boot repair disk from

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

,burned it into a dvd and boot up with it. Everything is just automatic from there. :D

Mark Phelps
January 31st, 2013, 03:12 PM
Good to hear it's fixed. Please use the Thread Tools at the top of the Thread to mark this as SOLVED. thanks