PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenOffice Calc formula needed

faizlo
January 29th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

I am sorry for my naive question but I really need help.
I have a spreadsheet which has 3 sheets in it.
This is a spreadsheet for students grades. the second sheet is for students attendance, which I want to link to their grades in the first sheet.
What I want is this:
Since all of the 3 sheets have the same set of names, then if a student gets a grade (greater than 0) on the first sheet, a letter "S" is to be shown in the corresponding cell in the second sheet.

How may I do this?

Thank you in advance,

~faizlo

sanderj
January 29th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Easy:

=IF(Sheet1.B2>0,"S","")

With in Sheet1 on location B2 the grade.

SeijiSensei
January 29th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'll just note didactically that that method works only if the lists are identical and sorted identically. There are also "lookup" functions that can look in one table and return a value that corresponds to a match between a criterion and the "keys," in this case the names, that define the entries in the table. Of course, this relies on the names being identical.

faizlo
January 30th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Perfect, it worked like a charm!
Now another question:
How may I do this to all cells in the same column? I tried to highligh the first cell, and drag to include all cells below it (The same column) but my coloring scheme went away... Is there away to do it without changing the formatting?

One other question, please:
How may I add two conditions or more? (as in >0)?

Thanks again,

~faizlo

sanderj
January 30th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Both are basic questions. So probably better to start some self-learning: read the OpenOffice help, a webpage or a book.

Good luck!

faizlo
February 2nd, 2013, 02:32 AM
Hi

Thank you for the advice.
My problem is that this is a first time I use excel. I use many different stuff in my work. But it is my first time to teach and be asked to use excel.
I will see what I can do and come back again.

Thanks for the help.

~faizlo

ugm6hr
February 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
How may I do this to all cells in the same column? I tried to highligh the first cell, and drag to include all cells below it (The same column) but my coloring scheme went away... Is there away to do it without changing the formatting?
Use the "Paste Special" option instead of "Paste" - I think it is Ctrl+Shift+V keyboard - and select "formula" only

How may I add two conditions or more? (as in >0)?
This doesn't make sense to me. The ">0" is a correct condition.

SeijiSensei
February 2nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
Multiple conditions usually require nested IFs:

=if(a1>0,if(a2>0,"bothpos","not"),"not")

returns "bothpos" if both a1 and a2 are positive, and "not" otherwise.