PDA

View Full Version : looking for a blog on daily computing life with ubuntu

doyleman
January 29th, 2013, 07:57 PM
i love reading blogs. about many things. sometimes the topics switch and i drop reading them, but i usually follow for a good year. lately i've had an itch to reading/subscribing to a blog about a user who is or was new to linux/ubuntu and moved to it, uses purely it, and the way he/she handles the hurdles related.

'course daily life posts are given, and i like reading those all the same (I love studying people); but anyone have any recommendations that may fill this here itch?

ACubed10
January 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM
i love reading blogs. about many things. sometimes the topics switch and i drop reading them, but i usually follow for a good year. lately i've had an itch to reading/subscribing to a blog about a user who is or was new to linux/ubuntu and moved to it, uses purely it, and the way he/she handles the hurdles related.

'course daily life posts are given, and i like reading those all the same (I love studying people); but anyone have any recommendations that may fill this here itch?

not really a blog about personal usage but one I visit frequently for Ubuntu news in general is OMG Ubuntu (google search it, I don't want to put website links). I believe its a UK blog. Has the latest Ubuntu news on it.

Megaptera
January 29th, 2013, 09:27 PM
... OMG Ubuntu link http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

doyleman
January 29th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I follow omgubuntu through youtube with sporadic website visits. great resource for news on ubuntu.

blackbird34
January 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Webupd8.org
iheartubuntu.com

ikt
January 30th, 2013, 02:17 AM
lately i've had an itch to reading/subscribing to a blog about a user who is or was new to linux/ubuntu and moved to it, uses purely it, and the way he/she handles the hurdles related.

I was also looking for a few of these, but it's a bit of a dichotomy, people generally blog about things they're confident about blogging about, my first blog post was about how much I don't like adobe flash and is just a picture of flash crashing, I don't believe there will be too many people writing confidently that they're not very good with software.

A quick google came up with a few here:

http://www.techandlife.com/2009/05/great-ubuntu-and-linux-blogs-for-beginners/

This also begs the question, have you considered writing a blog? :)

doyleman
January 30th, 2013, 04:26 AM
I was also looking for a few of these, but it's a bit of a dichotomy, people generally blog about things they're confident about blogging about, my first blog post was about how much I don't like adobe flash and is just a picture of flash crashing, I don't believe there will be too many people writing confidently that they're not very good with software.

A quick google came up with a few here:

http://www.techandlife.com/2009/05/great-ubuntu-and-linux-blogs-for-beginners/

This also begs the question, have you considered writing a blog? :)

Most of those are inactive or help guides/tips and tricks. I was hoping for the learning experience and use.

and gasp! me? I could. I'm still very much new to ubuntu/linux. I mean, I've used it off and on since '06 but when it comes to terminal, I know diddly doop. This also sadly applies to blogs.

I have no clue how to set one up, cheap options for hosting one, etc. Though... the idea of me doing say, a blog of "One year straight linux" sounds exciting to write about! Of course, one year is a thrown out number for example purposes. How would i start one? :-k

blackbird34
January 31st, 2013, 02:37 AM
I'd suggest Wordpress.com. They do all the hosting, it's free and configurable. A new experience I never took up myself, but still...

doyleman
January 31st, 2013, 07:35 PM
I'd suggest Wordpress.com. They do all the hosting, it's free and configurable. A new experience I never took up myself, but still...

Thanks for the suggestion! I will take a look at it later today, and toss around this idea.

Never blogged before, either? And I am a bit confused on where you are going with the 'but still...', something is wrong?

tgalati4
January 31st, 2013, 08:08 PM
Many of the most interesting blogs are about inexperience and lack of confidence in a given area and then growing in confidence. Blogging about your linux experiences over the next year will either be compelling or boring, but you won't know unless you try.

You can also piggyback your experiences by researching other blogs and tutorials and tie in several sites. Over time, your blog will become a valuable resource to you and to others.

My brother runs a blog on military history (hosted on facebook). It's amazing the weird things that he finds:

http://www.battlebook.com