PDA

View Full Version : [ChrUbuntu] How to uninstall Chrome OS?

tahdas
January 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I installed ChrUbuntu on my Chromebook cr-48 using this guide. (http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2012/04/chrubuntu-1204-now-with-double-bits.html)
I was wondering if theres a way to completely uninstall chrome os and just use ubuntu.
Thanks,
tahdas

Frogs Hair
January 29th, 2013, 08:22 PM
You would need to know what packages to remove and weather or not you can add the Ubuntu repositories. It may be easier backup, wipe the drive and install Ubuntu but I don't know if you could do this with a Chromebook or not. I am assuming you have Debian package system , is this the case ?

thetechguy911
March 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hello tahdas, I assume it would be really hard to remove chrome os, but it is possible.
But if you want to have Ubuntu without chrome os, I would reccomend assigning all possible hard drive space to your ubuntu partition and not even care about chrome OS.

There is nothing that we humans can't do. If we can't do it, we don't know how.

Mario Fish
June 1st, 2013, 04:35 PM
Hi, I'm new here and as the handle implies, I also have a CR-48 (OK, I have one of each version:oops:). First thing to do is to install InsydeH2O to replace the factory bios, this will allow you to boot the Mario into bios (use F10 to change boot sequence, which is the volume up key immediately left of the start button preceded by F2 - the left arrow - to add the USB to the boot device list) and start from a pendrive. Mine runs a full 64 bit install of 12.04 but to run Chrubuntu instead, then the same applies. No need to worry about wiping the Chrome OS, you can reset the machine at any time and replace it if - for example - you want to sell the machine. There are instructions all over the CR-48 forum about this so get searching and good luck.

I also have a Mario Pony and that - again with InsydeH2O - dual boots Chrome and ******* 7. Not all Marios have the dual core version of the Atom but even without 64 bit support, many things about these original prototype Chromebooks render them ideal Ubuntu machines. The only downside that I've found with the idea is that the Marios don't hibernate, even if you just put in a good hour with a terminal open in the hope that they would.... ;)