PDA

View Full Version : What It’s Like To Be An Ubuntu User In The Linux world

pavelmaha
January 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM
How often do you have to deal with this kind of crap?
http://www.slashgeek.net/2013/01/26/why-ubuntu/

thermion
January 28th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Fortunately, never. Not a single time in all those years I'm using ubuntu on workstations and servers.

sffvba[e0rt
January 28th, 2013, 10:37 AM
The tallest trees are most in the power of the winds, and ambitious men of the blasts of fortune.
Penn, William

kansasnoob
January 28th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Never. I pay no attention to those who disagree with my choices :)

Paqman
January 28th, 2013, 02:38 PM
It's just elitism. A backlash against the perceived popularity of Ubuntu from those who treasure the obscure 1337 status they think using Linux confers on them. Goes with the territory unfortunately.

It's a bit childish, but does you no harm unless you start feeding the trolls.

Jakin
January 28th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Nah, never from a fellow linux user do i get that type of attitude; Even if they are those who swear by Arch, or Slackware, also like some form of Debian.
More over, if you mention using Ubuntu/linux to advent Windows users, is where you will get the most attitude- from both sides of the spectrum (from criticism to praise).

Warren Hill
January 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I use both Debian (Squeze) and Ubuntu (Precise) for different reasons; and occasionally others too. If you are happy with Ubuntu use it why should you care what others think?

Unfortunately there are some people who think that because Ubuntu is popular it can't be any good. If I choose to use a particular obscure distribution or even create my own; either to fill a particular need, or just because I can; that's fine. Those who denigrate others because the go the popular way are just being childish.

The fact that you are using Linux at all shows that you are not just following the crowd otherwise you would be using Windows

There is nothing wrong with "following the crowd" if the crowd is going in the right direction. Everybody has to decide for themselves it they are.

Linuxratty
January 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Never..The people on the forums I frequent don't give a crap what Linux version I use.

snowpine
January 28th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Branch out, try many distributions (it's a rite of passage called "distro hopping") and form your own opinions. My thoughts on Ubuntu are well-known so I won't repeat myself. ;)

llanitedave
January 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM
It's a problem I wouldn't mind having. Being a Linux user in a Windows world gets me a lot more eyebrows, particularly since I use it at work whenever I can.

ghost1227
January 28th, 2013, 07:34 PM
As a former senior dev for Arch Linux, I've heard the best and worst from both sides of this debate. Arch users (and users of various other distros) tend to look down on those using Ubuntu (and occasionally other distros as well), and users of the 'simpler' distros consider users of Arch, Gentoo, or similar distros to be 'elitists'. Are both arguments necessarily invalid? No. There are certainly elitist users of the more advanced distros just as well as there are advanced users on Ubuntu.

The best part of Linux is freedom. This includes freedom to chose the distro that best suits your needs. For some (including myself at one point in time), this means a more complex source-based distro that requires an extensive amount of knowledge and the willingness to get ones hands dirty. For others, this means something that is a bit more automated.

At some point in time we all have to start playing nice and supporting each other. If there is an 'enemy', it's those who are still stuck with proprietary software, not those who have chosen a different distro than the one that an individual believes to be the 'best'.

mamamia88
January 28th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Many people have a sense of pride from being able to do something hard and they feel that because someone choses an easier route that they are inferior. I've used arch before it was a good distro but i just don't have the desire to tinker anymore so i installed debian wheezy the other day and plan on sticking with it. Different strokes for different folks. I don't get why people can't just understand that

snowpine
January 28th, 2013, 08:16 PM
There's a misconception in this thread that the Linux community dislikes Ubuntu because it is "easy." But Arch users think Arch is "easy," Slackware users think Slackware is "easy," Debian users think Debian is "easy," etc.

In fact I think there may be other reasons why Ubuntu is frowned upon...

Paddy Landau
January 28th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Branch out, try many distributions (it's a rite of passage called "distro hopping")…
I "distro hop" through VirtualBox, just to see how they look. But I'm happy with my Ubuntu; I have no reason to change.

… Arch users (and users of various other distros) tend to look down on those using Ubuntu (and occasionally other distros as well)…
My son, an Arch user, tells me, "Ubuntu is a terrible distro."

I reply, "Each to his own. Ubuntu works for me. Arch works for you."

The best part of Linux is freedom.
For me, the best part of Linux is not the freedom. The best parts (for me) are a system that works; the wonderful help available on the Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu; and the extraordinary comaraderie on these forums.

If there is an 'enemy', it's those who are still stuck with proprietary software, not those who have chosen a different distro than the one that an individual believes to be the 'best'.
The greatest enemy to Linux is those who think that we need to have enemies. I would use Ubuntu if it were proprietary and I had to pay for it; I don't use Ubuntu because it is free or libre, but because it works and doesn't give me the endless problems that a certain other proprietary system used to give me.

llanitedave
January 28th, 2013, 10:08 PM
the greatest enemy to linux is those who think that we need to have enemies. I would use ubuntu if it were proprietary and i had to pay for it; i don't use ubuntu because it is free or libre, but because it works and doesn't give me the endless problems that a certain other proprietary system used to give me.

+1

nothingspecial
January 28th, 2013, 10:18 PM
How often do you have to deal with this kind of crap?

Never.

Distros have different ways of doing things but in the end they all use the same stuff.

Peripheral Visionary
January 29th, 2013, 01:29 AM
I've never truly distro-hopped, but I've shared a friend's exploration of several Linuxes on this computer, which I "inherited" from him. His favorites were the ones that "just worked" without major tweaking, and lightweight enough to run on this old, modest, aging computer.

Crunchbang (Ubuntu-based at first, then Debian based) was great! He loved the Openbox format but I thought it was too "bare-bones" for me. He kept it on a laptop for speed and dark geekiness, and it was plenty fast. PCLinuxOS was fun but in Robin's words, "bloated beyond belief, and they said Ubuntu was bloated!" But I liked it, except on this old machine it was slow. Mint was fun and easy to tinker with. SalixOS was really nice and fast, even faster than Crunchbang which he found absolutely stunning. I like the Xfce desktop and the way Salix makes Slackware easy enough for a "casual" user. If Xubuntu and Lubuntu ever let me down (perish the thought!), SalixOS is where I would look first. Robin wrote, "What Ubuntu did for Debian, it looks like SalixOS has done for Slackware." We looked at Mepis, WattOS, and a couple of others, but the only distros that "just worked" on this machine were the Ubuntu-based ones! As long as this modest little Dell can run Xubuntu or Lubuntu, that's where I'll stay.

During our journey we met quite a few "Linux snobs" who belittled his choice of a "kiddie distro," but Robin determined not to spend a dime upgrading hardware to accommodate an operating system. For a few months he and his family were actually homeless, so spending money to keep a computer running was out of the question. For that need, again, only Ubuntu-based distros fit the bill. During his period of homelessness you never would have known he was homeless. He was cheerful, always smiling, clean, still dancing, and still making straight As in school. I kept his computer at our house with Linux Mint Xfce on it (the Ubuntu-based one - LM Xfce has since moved to a Debian base). Wonderful, simple, secure, pretty, and faster than Windows, but not as fast as SalixOS or Crunchbang had been. Still it was perfect for me and my parents liked it too. When Robin got this computer back he toyed with Debian Xfce for two months trying to make it work. What he ended up with was so much like Xubuntu that he was like, "Gosh, I could have done all this in minutes instead of months!" It turned him into a Xubuntu "fanboy" til the day he left us.

Because I shared some of his journey, I know just a little about just a few other distros, and they all have their fans and their detractors. I don't care if some snobs think my Xubuntu is "a kiddie distro" for "unsophisticated users." I use it because my beloved friend proved over and over again that the Ubuntu base is best for this particular computer, and if it happens to be pretty, and simple, and parent-friendly, and gets me the rest of the way through school without having to buy fancy software, I say long live Xubuntu!

drawkcab
January 29th, 2013, 03:01 AM
The best part of Linux is freedom. This includes freedom to chose the distro that best suits your needs. [...]

At some point in time we all have to start playing nice and supporting each other. If there is an 'enemy', it's those who are still stuck with proprietary software, not those who have chosen a different distro than the one that an individual believes to be the 'best'.

Wisely spoken.

I don't agree with the way Ubuntu and Canonical do things sometimes but the fact of the matter is that if it weren't for Ubuntu arriving on the scene, I would never have gotten involved with Linux. Ubuntu and Linux Mint provide access to freedom for a lot of folks.

That said, Debian probably deserves much more recognition and support than it gets and it's a shame when other great projects like Arch go unrecognized.

At the end of the day I think it's great that, for a lot of people, Linux is more than just a tool, that folks are passionately devoted to open-source projects. On the other hand it's important to keep in mind that Linux is not a religion and that we're not zealous ideologues battling over converts.

omeomi
January 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Linux is not a religion and [...] we're not zealous ideologues battling over converts.

Indeed! And we should be careful to keep it that way.

That being said, it is also just a part of human nature to identify ourselves with groups and to highlight differences between our own group and other groups. Since we are still (largely) human, Linux users are no different in this respect :).

santosh83
January 29th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Touching post Peripheral Visionary.

I totally understand the difficulty of many of us to get the latest and greatest hardware, and this is another place where Linux really shines in my opinion. The latest Xubuntu 12.10 still runs acceptably fast and small on my old 1.6GHz + 1Gb RAM system here, but I really have doubts about running even Windows 7 on it, let alone Windows 8 or MacOS etc. And besides even if I magically got the bucks tomorrow, on principle, I wouldn't throw away a working device, and it really saddens me how the major software makers and some websites steadily ratchet up the hardware requirements, i.e., planned obsolescence.

And the best part is I can do pretty much everything under Linux, that I could've done under Windows, and this WITHOUT pirating a dime worth of software (lets face it; the retail price of Windows, MS Office; Photoshop et al are too inflated in this country for me to afford), and contributing (if only as a user) to a cause (free software) I really like and believe in.

I've never truly distro-hopped, but I've shared a friend's exploration of several Linuxes on this computer, which I "inherited" from him. His favorites were the ones that "just worked" without major tweaking, and lightweight enough to run on this old, modest, aging computer.

Crunchbang (Ubuntu-based at first, then Debian based) was great! He loved the Openbox format but I thought it was too "bare-bones" for me. He kept it on a laptop for speed and dark geekiness, and it was plenty fast. PCLinuxOS was fun but in Robin's words, "bloated beyond belief, and they said Ubuntu was bloated!" But I liked it, except on this old machine it was slow. Mint was fun and easy to tinker with. SalixOS was really nice and fast, even faster than Crunchbang which he found absolutely stunning. I like the Xfce desktop and the way Salix makes Slackware easy enough for a "casual" user. If Xubuntu and Lubuntu ever let me down (perish the thought!), SalixOS is where I would look first. Robin wrote, "What Ubuntu did for Debian, it looks like SalixOS has done for Slackware." We looked at Mepis, WattOS, and a couple of others, but the only distros that "just worked" on this machine were the Ubuntu-based ones! As long as this modest little Dell can run Xubuntu or Lubuntu, that's where I'll stay.

During our journey we met quite a few "Linux snobs" who belittled his choice of a "kiddie distro," but Robin determined not to spend a dime upgrading hardware to accommodate an operating system. For a few months he and his family were actually homeless, so spending money to keep a computer running was out of the question. For that need, again, only Ubuntu-based distros fit the bill. During his period of homelessness you never would have known he was homeless. He was cheerful, always smiling, clean, still dancing, and still making straight As in school. I kept his computer at our house with Linux Mint Xfce on it (the Ubuntu-based one - LM Xfce has since moved to a Debian base). Wonderful, simple, secure, pretty, and faster than Windows, but not as fast as SalixOS or Crunchbang had been. Still it was perfect for me and my parents liked it too. When Robin got this computer back he toyed with Debian Xfce for two months trying to make it work. What he ended up with was so much like Xubuntu that he was like, "Gosh, I could have done all this in minutes instead of months!" It turned him into a Xubuntu "fanboy" til the day he left us.

Because I shared some of his journey, I know just a little about just a few other distros, and they all have their fans and their detractors. I don't care if some snobs think my Xubuntu is "a kiddie distro" for "unsophisticated users." I use it because my beloved friend proved over and over again that the Ubuntu base is best for this particular computer, and if it happens to be pretty, and simple, and parent-friendly, and gets me the rest of the way through school without having to buy fancy software, I say long live Xubuntu!

Paddy Landau
January 29th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Linux is not a religion…
Well said.

santosh83
January 29th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Linux is not a religion.
Well said.

So it's okay to throw away thought, empathy, cooperation, common sense, moderation, non-violence et al when religion is involved is it? :-P

It doesn't matter if Linux does become a religion, as long as we all take the responsibility to purge our religions of all violent and unethical elements! :-D

Bucky Ball
January 29th, 2013, 11:53 AM
The only time I had a problem was with my uni's IT department. I emailed them with details about how to get something working in Ubuntu and to feel free to use the info on their 'how to' page. One of the head honchos emailed back and said 'Who uses Ubuntu anyway? We never get any help requests from Ubuntu users ...'. A few months later I checked their how tos and not only was my info there, but they'd updated a heap of other how tos to include how to get things going on Ubuntu.

Go figure. Must have actually had a chat to some of his colleagues! Maybe they didn't get many help requests because Linux users tend to have the ability to actually think for themselves and nut a lot of this stuff out, sometimes with the help of the community. Perhaps he discovered there were more of us out there than he'd thought.

Since then I have stuck up Ubuntu fliers around the uni with rip off tags at the bottom with links to the forums and other Ubuntu related pages. First time only three were ripped off. Second time about ten. My next stick up is coming up at the beginning of first semester in a few weeks. ;)

For me, it's horses for courses and I don't really give a toss about others warped (or otherwise) egos. I've tried other things but my customised Xubuntu is home to me and fits like a glove.

Paddy Landau
January 29th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Since then I have stuck up Ubuntu fliers around the uni with rip off tags at the bottom with links to the forums and other Ubuntu related pages.
What did you have on the poster? Would you like to share it here?

Jakin
January 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Since then I have stuck up Ubuntu fliers around the uni with rip off tags at the bottom with links to the forums and other Ubuntu related pages.

Indeed that would be interesting.

Bucky Ball
January 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Sure. When I can find the one I've been using. I have been half looking over the last month but not turning up. I have a good look soon.

Fliers are out there though but it took me a bit of a hunt. Did find a page with a full range of info sheets, but never found the one I've been using online again. Probably got it on my desktop which I haven't used in ages.

Will have a dig and get back to you.

* UPDATE: Have a gander at this:

http://spreadubuntu.org/en/get-materials

This one is similar to the one I've used in as much as it has the rip off tags at the bottom. Mine has the heading 'Sick of 25 digit authentication codes?':

http://spreadubuntu.org/files/your%20free%20alternative%20%28uk%29%20tabs,%20les s%20color_1.jpg

In my case, I scratched out the Ubuntu UK link on the tag as I'm in Australia and the one link was fine. You can link to the forums and community from there.

mamamia88
January 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
The only time I had a problem was with my uni's IT department. I emailed them with details about how to get something working in Ubuntu and to feel free to use the info on their 'how to' page. One of the head honchos emailed back and said 'Who uses Ubuntu anyway? We never get any help requests from Ubuntu users ...'. A few months later I checked their how tos and not only was my info there, but they'd updated a heap of other how tos to include how to get things going on Ubuntu.

Go figure. Must have actually had a chat to some of his colleagues! Maybe they didn't get many help requests because Linux users tend to have the ability to actually think for themselves and nut a lot of this stuff out, sometimes with the help of the community. Perhaps he discovered there were more of us out there than he'd thought.

Since then I have stuck up Ubuntu fliers around the uni with rip off tags at the bottom with links to the forums and other Ubuntu related pages. First time only three were ripped off. Second time about ten. My next stick up is coming up at the beginning of first semester in a few weeks. ;)

For me, it's horses for courses and I don't really give a toss about others warped (or otherwise) egos. I've tried other things but my customised Xubuntu is home to me and fits like a glove.
that's funny when i took my laptop to the it department at my college the guy was using ubuntu personally. but i still had to visit another college's website to figure out how to get it working. btw if anyone needs to know you might have to manually download the certificate from here https://www.thawte.com/roots/index.html that's what i had to do

Bucky Ball
January 29th, 2013, 04:09 PM
that's funny when i took my laptop to the it department at my college the guy was using ubuntu personally ...

We are five or ten years behind in Australia! Most people stare blankly when you mention Linux, let alone Ubuntu. ;)

Paddy Landau
January 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
* UPDATE: Have a gander at this…
Thank you.

@pavelmaha (the OP): I guess this thread is showing you what it's like to be part of the Ubuntu User community: friendly, helpful, chatty, fun — and sometimes way off-topic!

TheGeekWhoLived
January 29th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I think the problem most "Linux snobs" have with Ubuntu is that it's popular. It's the same sort of hipster crap that you see with music. They only like something when it's limited to their small group, once it becomes "mainstream", they don't like it any more.

Ubuntu may not be truly "mainstream", but it's certainly getting more public awareness than a lot of other distros, and some people are going to find reasons to be unhappy about that no matter what.

Autofac
January 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I am a new user to Linux in general, and started with Ubuntu.

I have seen the hate-on people seem to have for it and haven't rightly understood it. I get that a lot of it is probably due to its popularity, but as an entire community other Linux users should not be upset with something that is drawing more people to Linux.

Ubuntu is friendly, especially to first time users and they market themselves this way. This is why, for me, it was a no-brainer over things that sounded and seemed much more daunting--Fedora, Debian &c&c.

It was a gamble for me, and as it turns out I really like it, am getting the hang of it, and increasingly every day find myself using terminal more often.

Whether it is the best, or even a good distro is a matter of supreme subjectivity, but the fact seems to be that many new people are being introduced to Linux because of and through Ubuntu.

Bucky Ball
January 29th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Some people prefer another distro. I'd never hold it against them or try to convince them otherwise, especially if they'd 'shopped around'. Life's too short and I don't really get the whole 'better/worse than' thing, personally. Again, whatever suits the purpose.

mamamia88
January 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Some people prefer another distro. I'd never hold it against them or try to convince them otherwise, especially if they'd 'shopped around'. Life's too short and I don't really get the whole 'better/worse than' thing, personally. Again, whatever suits the purpose. Linux is linux all distros ship with gnu utilities and the linux kernel. Some ship with older or newer software and some ship with a barebones os that leaves you to install the rest. Some have different package managers that have a slightly different syntax but still accomplish the same tasks. At the end of the day it's which one works best for your needs. But there are people out there who think their distro is the definitive one or who just hate the fact that linux is becoming popular. I believe it's kinda the same attitude some apple haters have. "They are dumbing down computers and turning them into appliances the world is ending". Well technolgoy is meant to make our lives easier. Not everyone wants to learn gentoo and maybe just maybe they want their computer to actually do work on. People have different priorities. I started out with Ubuntu and will be forever grateful for them turning me onto linux. When they started adding a bunch of stuff in the default install that i didn't particularly want like amazon ads i moved on. I know i could turn it off but i would personally rather just use a distro that doesn't see the need to include it. I used arch for a few months and then my priorities changed and now i'm using the exact opposite of arch, debian wheezy. I guess it's human nature to want to feel superior but there is a reason i hang out here still. It's because I know i won't get trolled or yelled at for somehow missing a detail in a man page. Worst case scenario is that people just ignore the post.

santosh83
January 29th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I am a new user to Linux in general, and started with Ubuntu.

I have seen the hate-on people seem to have for it and haven't rightly understood it. I get that a lot of it is probably due to its popularity, but as an entire community other Linux users should not be upset with something that is drawing more people to Linux.

Ubuntu is friendly, especially to first time users and they market themselves this way. This is why, for me, it was a no-brainer over things that sounded and seemed much more daunting--Fedora, Debian &c&c.

It was a gamble for me, and as it turns out I really like it, am getting the hang of it, and increasingly every day find myself using terminal more often.

Whether it is the best, or even a good distro is a matter of supreme subjectivity, but the fact seems to be that many new people are being introduced to Linux because of and through Ubuntu.

I think there's a lot of truth in the concept that pioneers in any community start to withdraw and wane once that community becomes large and cosmopolitan. This happens even in biological community succession. Many people were initially attracted to Linux (including me) because it was something novel, and cool, and to be frank, a bit elitist as well! :-) And not because the existing Windows couldn't do what was wanted. Of course in my own case I've never gone beyond newbie status and into the arcane developer stuff, so there was no scope for my ego to grow. :-P

These days though Linux has grow into something really big and in many ways has become much better than other alternatives, and it represents positives values for the whole community (here humanity in the broadest sense) while proprietary software is usually more of a master-slave relationship. But still the road ahead is long and arduous, with lots of setbacks like the current problems with SecureBoot. Those controlling the market won't stand for a reduction of their former glory without a tough battle, and hence it's better that the wider Linux community stops squabbling over minor things like distro choice and tackle more serious externally imposed threats and internal problems too like the lack of a single standard API/ABI against which people can write apps and have them work across all distributions and through major upgrades with just one-click, and not burden each distro maintainer to heavily patch and modify, and so on...

That'll extend the success of the Linux kernel to the entire Linux platform, and if there's one thing that'll attract more hardware support and worldwide adoption, and defeat the current monopoly, it'll be when more and more apps arrive. In this sense Steam is a long anticipated thing, though it's a bit disappointing that the Linux scene is so fragmented that they're forced to confine themselves to Ubuntu for now.

squakie
August 12th, 2013, 05:05 AM
The joy is the CHOICE. Not tied to a single vendor who even dictates how hardware vendors have to do things. Everyone has choices in life - religion, politics, marriage, kids, and yes, operating systems for their computers. If they use what works for them, who am I to argue?

Gnawnsense
August 12th, 2013, 05:20 AM
The joy is the CHOICE. Not tied to a single vendor who even dictates how hardware vendors have to do things. Everyone has choices in life - religion, politics, marriage, kids, and yes, operating systems for their computers. If they use what works for them, who am I to argue?

Your sound logic just completely blew my mind.

I've always promoted individuality and had the mindset that the more choices you have, the better. And I never understood why some people get so upset about what complete strangers choose.

zealibib slaughter
August 12th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I've had some people at my local LUG get all snobbish with me because I use ubuntu and mostly ubuntu based distros, but after they see that I also run debian, crunchbang and fedora they back off. I have never seen what the difference is though except of course between apt-get and yum. I guess they think because Ubuntu does not have a root account that you can log into by default its not true linux, I guess they dont realize that its really easy to set a root password and log in as root and also sudo has a means to change to a root shell built in so I don't see the difference. An ill placed recursively forced remove operation will bork the system just as fast no matter if you su to root or sudo. I use what I like and I like Ubuntu (actually Ubuntu Studio) for the simple reason that its quick to install since it has almost every program I use included. I don't care for RHEL/Fedora or its offspring because I really hate RPM and yum. To me (just my thoughts) apt-get and dpkg is the best package management system for linux. BTW is having 12 partitions on two hard drives (thats six different installs) going overboard?

Paulgirardin
August 12th, 2013, 08:11 AM
"
There's a misconception in this thread that the Linux community dislikes Ubuntu because it is "easy." But Arch users think Arch is "easy," Slackware users think Slackware is "easy," Debian users think Debian is "easy," etc. "

Yeah,sort of like the kid in the swimming pool who says ,through violently chattering teeth,"come in ,the water's warm"......

Paulgirardin
August 12th, 2013, 08:25 AM
That may have nothing to do with Linux.LOL

Paulgirardin
August 12th, 2013, 08:26 AM
We are five or ten years behind in Australia! Most people stare blankly when you mention Linux, let alone Ubuntu. ;)
That may have nothing to do with Linux.LOL

Paddy Landau
August 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM
… is having 12 partitions on two hard drives (thats six different installs) going overboard?
As squakie said, it's your choice. If you feel it's overboard, it's overboard. If you feel it's right for you, it's not overboard.

Bucky Ball
August 12th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Ha. I have twelve partitions (and a /swap) and six installs on one drive in a laptop!

The three Win7 related partitions are primaries which take up about 30-40Gb and the other 300Gb or so is one big extended partition filled with a bunch of virtual partitions/logical drives, whatever you'd like to call them: basically the Linux installs/partitions, and an NTFS shared partition.

Linuxratty
August 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM
It's just elitism. A backlash against the perceived popularity of Ubuntu from those who treasure the obscure 1337 status they think using Linux confers on them. .

So true. I remember Linspire was treated exactly the same way way back when.
The main other Linux forum I visit is the one I'm on,which is Linux Internationals (see sig). No one there gives a hoot what you use..There are even a couple there who duel boot with Windows.

squakie
August 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Now THAT's pretty good! Have a good one, Bucky Ball !! ;)

Ooooppppssss - forgot to quote Bucky Ball's message! Reply is for Bucky Ball.

monkeybrain20122
August 12th, 2013, 09:20 PM
@OP,

I don't know if I am the only one experiencing this, but when I click your link, it loads and then immediately jumps to another page (on the same site).

But I can guess what the question is. Actually I see that a lot but mainly on forums like Debian's and Phoronix's. On the Debian forum there seems to be a lot of hostility towards Ubuntu. For some reasons whenever someone new shows up who has recently switched from Ubuntu to Debian there seems to be always a mandatory big preamble saying how horrible and buggy Ubuntu is and what a great relief that s/he finally embraces real freedom blah blah. Well I use both (so it is not that I can't handle Debian), but I mainly prefer Ubuntu (Debian stable and testing are too old, sid and experimental too unstable)

malspa
August 12th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Well I use both (so it is not that I can't handle Debian), but I mainly prefer Ubuntu (Debian stable and testing are too old, sid and experimental too unstable)

I use both Debian and Ubuntu, too, and have for a number of years -- usually Debian Stable and Ubuntu LTS. In a lot of ways, I think one's as good as the other.

monkeybrain20122
August 13th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Oh and not to forget, there seems to be a bunch of ex Ubuntu now Mint users who show up in many places to badmouth Ubuntu just because of .. Unity. They strike me as petty. Those are a different category than the "geeks" who hate Ubuntu for being "easy" for newbies, as Mint IS Ubuntu but a different UI and a few trivial tweaks, and supposed to be even more "dumbed down", at least that is its selling point.

darkcrimson
August 13th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I don't sweat stuff like that. My brother likes to come in and give me garbage about having Ubuntu running. -I just fire up my Dolch Pac 64 running Arch and that silences him :D. In a nutshell, those guys who bash other distros are hiding in their Linux inferiority. They are easily intimidated by others' knowledge and find it easy to attack Ubuntu users because of it's ease of use factor. I find it sad that people actually have time to draft articles and participate in bashing sessions over something as trivial as an OS preference. Furthermore, you're always going to have people like that in this industry.

I've found the best thing is to simply ignore it. If you have spoiled children, you'll know what I mean. ;)

malspa
August 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Oh and not to forget, there seems to be a bunch of ex Ubuntu now Mint users who show up in many places to badmouth Ubuntu just because of .. Unity. They strike me as petty.
It strikes me as hilarious, ridiculous. Linux Mint's a great distro that's been based on Ubuntu all along (except for LMDE). They've got the Ubuntu repos and Ubuntu documentation, and many of them even come to the Ubuntu forums for help. They use Ubuntu PPAs. Ubuntu's been a great deal for Mint -- would Mint even exist if it hadn't been for Ubuntu? But then (some) Mint folks want to bash Ubuntu.

craig10x
August 13th, 2013, 02:38 PM
And they are always saying that Linux Mint is better then ubuntu....which really gives me a chuckle ;)
They must think that Clem sprinkles some kind of "magic fairy dust" over it that then makes Linux Mint non-Ubuntu :D

Linuxratty
August 13th, 2013, 04:22 PM
They must think that Clem sprinkles some kind of "magic fairy dust" over it that then makes Linux Mint non-Ubuntu :D

What!? He dosen't!?:shock: