PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing windows 8

therog726
January 28th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my laptop to Windows 8. I currently have Ubuntu 12.10 installed alongside Windows 7. I've had a lot of trouble getting ubuntu installed and working (AMD graphics :x) so I'd like to just leave that as is.

Is it possible to just install windows 8 over W7 in the same partition? How do I go about doing that? Is it as straight forward as just putting the disk in or is the whole secure boot thing going to cause issues?

Cheers

bradlees
January 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I used microsofts upgrade tool to do that. I had the same setup and it will put windows 8 on the same partition as windows 7. It worked pretty easily and without a problem for me and I am no expert...

Mark Phelps
January 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Is it possible to just install windows 8 over W7 in the same partition? How do I go about doing that? Is it as straight forward as just putting the disk in or is the whole secure boot thing going to cause issues?

You should go to the Windows 8 forum (eightforums.com) and read through the upgrade tutorials there. I would run the upgrade advisor before you jump in to the upgrade.

SeijiSensei
January 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM
If you have a fully-licensed Windows 8 DVD, you might consider installing it in a virtual machine with VirtualBox. Follow the instructions for "Debian-based distributions" here (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads) to add the repository and key then install with apt-get.

therog726
January 29th, 2013, 04:40 AM
You should go to the Windows 8 forum (eightforums.com) and read through the upgrade tutorials there. I would run the upgrade advisor before you jump in to the upgrade.

Thanks all for your help. Have asked in the W8 forums and will see what comes of that.

Cheers