PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for Ubuntu Mobile OS?

andril
January 28th, 2013, 03:14 AM
I have (2) GSM Galaxy Nexus, 1 ready to flash Ubuntu Mobile OS
1 HTC One X ready for Ubuntu Mobile OS (willing to test)
1 Motorola XOOM ready for Ubuntu Mobile OS (willing to test)

Please respond if you are a Galaxy Nexus user - just want to see the user headcount ):P

3rdalbum
January 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Only your Galaxy Nexus phones will be supported.

Kdar
February 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM
I bought unlocked Nexus 4 from Google recently and plan install Ubuntu photo once it comes out for sure.

beatmech
February 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM
one is up to the challenge right here. :D

lead the way, master.

ntoprint
February 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I am interested in trying this out. I have a cheap android tablet that I have been dying to try this on. I am a little unsure about putting operating systems on tablets, but I will give it a go. It would be nice to have a table on the go and then connect it to a TV and keyboard/touchpad and have a full blown computer at home.

Linuxratty
February 20th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I see them back in the same old sticky spot where their OS is not preinstalled oh hardware...None of the people I know are not going to slap Ubuntu on their phone any more than they will slap it on their pc..Sad really.

ceti331
February 20th, 2013, 06:13 PM
i have a galaxy nexus.
am contemplating getting a n7 or n10 for the tablet version.. might just leave the phone alone.
wanted an n4 but figure an ubuntu tablet is a better complementary item

willc0de4food
February 21st, 2013, 12:14 AM
I have a Galaxy Nexus, planning to install Ubuntu asap.

Nr90
February 21st, 2013, 12:38 AM
Nexus 7 ready to go :)

haqking
February 21st, 2013, 01:09 AM
I am not too keen on Amazon having all my phone numbers or text messages ;-)

Nr90
February 21st, 2013, 01:19 AM
I am not too keen on Amazon having all my phone numbers or text messages ;-)

Google on the other hand is fine?

On the desktop you can disable the amazon integration, I expect a similar option on the phone. I expect Ubuntu Mobile to handle privacy better then Android.

haqking
February 21st, 2013, 01:29 AM
Google on the other hand is fine?

On the desktop you can disable the amazon integration, I expect a similar option on the phone. I expect Ubuntu Mobile to handle privacy better then Android.

Who mentioned Google, I dont give anything to Google thanks very much ;-)

And I know you can disable it, I dont use Ubuntu anyways, it was a jest

kanazky
February 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
I came on tonight, to see if I could get a jump start on the download. I believe it was rumored to be available Thursday (aka 35 mins ago via west coast :D)

Guess I will have to attempt to sleep before my job interview tomorrow instead :p

I don't have a Nexus, but I am hoping a work around for the Samsung Galaxy SIII (3) will be available shortly after. I bought this phone with the idea of rooting it to custom firmwares, and that is what I intend to do with Ubuntu OS.

Hopefully my android app development background will assist me in developing quality apps for an upcoming market. I am only worried that an open source and free package community like this will refuse to embrace paying minimal amounts for quality applications.

- Live long and prosper ubuntu os :)

3rdalbum
February 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
I came on tonight, to see if I could get a jump start on the download. I believe it was rumored to be available Thursday (aka 35 mins ago via west coast :D)

Guess I will have to attempt to sleep before my job interview tomorrow instead :p

I don't have a Nexus, but I am hoping a work around for the Samsung Galaxy SIII (3) will be available shortly after. I bought this phone with the idea of rooting it to custom firmwares, and that is what I intend to do with Ubuntu OS.

Hopefully my android app development background will assist me in developing quality apps for an upcoming market. I am only worried that an open source and free package community like this will refuse to embrace paying minimal amounts for quality applications.

- Live long and prosper ubuntu os :)

Well, there are hardliners but they usually hate Ubuntu as "too commercial". Humble Indie Bundle and the Ubuntu Software Store has proven that Ubuntu users will pay for software that is better than free alternatives.

The idea behind Ubuntu Phone is that it wont just be Ubuntu fans that will buy them.

beatmech
February 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
so....

any update yet on the Os image?

willc0de4food
February 21st, 2013, 12:05 PM
so....

any update yet on the Os image?

Wondering this myself.. It's 6am EST, so what.. 11am over at Canonical? Hurry up, guys!

beatmech
February 21st, 2013, 01:30 PM
well, i thought i might straightly dive into the documentations when its available, then install and finally use the ubuntu as my first phone. but after some readings (still not convince), then replay some of the vids/preview out there, at last i'm convince that it won't be happening. :|

i might swallow it a bit hard that the first image would not ready as a first phone basis. i can't do coding, far away from to be a developer. but that won't stop me to install it at all. maybe all i can give back is to test it at GNex.

minute by minute i getti'n envy for those who own nexus7 or 10. the experience on the tablets seems getting sweetier everytime i see a new vids.

Tribes11
February 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Of course I am and I will because I'm having such a bad experience with Android most recently, especially after Android 4.2 that my GNEX became Sluggish as hell and keep freezing on me, also, i've tested many many ROM's for Galaxy Nexus both 4.1 and 4.2, right now my phone is with CodenameAndroid based on 4.1 because 4.2 is so slow on my Phone that makes me angry.

So I really can't wait to flash Ubuntu OS.