PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Completely Delete Windows XP & have Xubuntu as sole OS

msniemi
January 28th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone, I created a bootable Xubuntu on a USB and I was wondering if I were to boot up via USB, would that delete my windows XP?

I would like to delete Windows XP and have Xubuntu as the only OS. It's an old laptop and I don't need any of the files & programs on there.

Please let me know how to do this!!

Thank you :D

Bucky Ball
January 28th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Welcome to the forums. Boot from the install USB and when at a desktop launch Gparted. Right click the Win partition to make sure it is unmounted then simply delete. You should have an icon on the desktop to install Xubuntu.

You can let it do its thing automagically or select Something Else when you get to the partitioning section if you want more control over partitions and sizes. If you partition manually then you can delete the Win partition during that section of the install instead of previously.

I think there is also an option to 'Install over Win' but, again, you will have no control over partitions and sizes and get what Xubuntu gives you. This might not be what you want.

offgridguy
January 28th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Hi everyone, I created a bootable Xubuntu on a USB and I was wondering if I were to boot up via USB, would that delete my windows XP?

I would like to delete Windows XP and have Xubuntu as the only OS. It's an old laptop and I don't need any of the files & programs on there.

Please let me know how to do this!!

Thank you :D
When you choose the install Xubuntu option, it will bring you to another
box where you will be given the choice to replace or install alongside your
Windows XP. Just choose replace.

msniemi
January 28th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Thank you guys!! I have it installing now. Is there a way to delete this tread or deactivate it?

BlinkinCat
January 28th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Hi,

Simply mark as "Solved" via the "Thread Tools" at top of page - :)

Bucky Ball
January 28th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Simply mark as "Solved" via the "Thread Tools" at top of page - :)

+1. And that's it! Hope it all works out and good luck with it. For any problems post-install, please post a new thread in the appropriate section with a descriptive title and as much info about the issue as you can muster. ;)