PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.10 + Cinnamon = <3

Umbra Diaboli
January 28th, 2013, 02:09 AM
I just fell in love with Cinnamon GUI...

I didn't like Unity one bit, it's too much like Mac (and I'm and ex-Mac user, I'm trying to run away from Apple - Mac OS is getting worse and worse, too much bloatware and eye-candy).

Just discovered Cinnamon... it's amazing :)

For anyone interested:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

mattyasaurus
January 28th, 2013, 04:16 AM
I just fell in love with Cinnamon GUI...

I didn't like Unity one bit, it's too much like Mac (and I'm and ex-Mac user, I'm trying to run away from Apple - Mac OS is getting worse and worse, too much bloatware and eye-candy).

Just discovered Cinnamon... it's amazing :)

For anyone interested:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

Hi there, I have to agree with you on disliking Unity. It just wasn't for me. I have been using Cinnamon now for around a month and I think it is awesome also! :lol:

ACubed10
January 28th, 2013, 04:45 AM
<3<3<3 cinnamon. Installed it right away when I got 12.10 fully updated. I just love the simplicity and beauty of it

Copper Bezel
January 28th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Options for Linux desktops - particularly Gnome-based ones - really are an embarrassment of riches right now. I'm using Unity on my netbook and elementary Pantheon on my desktop, I still quite like Gnome Shell, and Cinnamon is fun and attractive. I really was surprised by it - I'd imagined something very much like Gnome 2, and it has aspects of that, but although I didn't really care for the default settings, it was simple to rearrange into something I really liked with very little fuss. And I really like the smooth, consistent window animations, although the jitter when selecting a workspace from the Expo view is a little distracting. (Which is a very, very minor complaint to have about an entire UI.)

frank604
January 28th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Didn't really like the unity either, went to gnome classic no effects.

kevdog
January 28th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I'm really surprised Ubuntu doesnt offer an official build for Cinnamon. A PPA is nice, but you know how PPA's go...

The only thing I cant figure out with Cinnamon are the 3 separate areas on the bottom (or top sinced I flipped them). The left area left justifies, the center area center justifies, and the right area right justifies. I was wondering how I could change this default behaivor. All the forums I've visited just talk about font, not justfication options.

Other than that I'm really liking Cinnamon -- seems very light weight and its gnome centric -- something I'm personally partial too!!!

hydn79
January 28th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Yup +1 <3 Cinnamon. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Cubuntu

Also love XFCE4 (Xubuntu) and if you have the hardware then KDE4 (Kubuntu) is to me the no compromise option.

I think its cooler as you mentioned to keep Ubuntu and then just install the preferred DE. Will be switching one of my laptops from Xubuntu to Ubuntu + Cinnamon as you described above.

deadflowr
January 28th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I'm really surprised Ubuntu doesnt offer an official build for Cinnamon. A PPA is nice, but you know how PPA's go...

The only thing I cant figure out with Cinnamon are the 3 separate areas on the bottom (or top sinced I flipped them). The left area left justifies, the center area center justifies, and the right area right justifies. I was wondering how I could change this default behaivor. All the forums I've visited just talk about font, not justfication options.

Other than that I'm really liking Cinnamon -- seems very light weight and its gnome centric -- something I'm personally partial too!!!

Cinnamon is in the raring repos.
Though it is the development release.

ACubed10
January 28th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Options for Linux desktops - particularly Gnome-based ones - really are an embarrassment of riches right now. I'm using Unity on my netbook and elementary Pantheon on my desktop, I still quite like Gnome Shell, and Cinnamon is fun and attractive. I really was surprised by it - I'd imagined something very much like Gnome 2, and it has aspects of that, but although I didn't really care for the default settings, it was simple to rearrange into something I really liked with very little fuss. And I really like the smooth, consistent window animations, although the jitter when selecting a workspace from the Expo view is a little distracting. (Which is a very, very minor complaint to have about an entire UI.)
How long ago did you try cinnamon? My jitter when selecting workspaces in Expo view seems to be fixed with the newest version. Runs very smooth :D

Yup +1 <3 Cinnamon. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Cubuntu

Also love XFCE4 (Xubuntu) and if you have the hardware then KDE4 (Kubuntu) is to me the no compromise option.

I think its cooler as you mentioned to keep Ubuntu and then just install the preferred DE. Will be switching one of my laptops from Xubuntu to Ubuntu + Cinnamon as you described above.

I learned a long time ago to start with the best. Ubuntu, because its very easy to just install a new DE with a few terminal commands.. Less burning of disks :P

Roasted
January 28th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Not trying to stir anything up, but I have a Macbook Pro sitting right here next to me. The only similarities I see is the fact that Mac OSX uses colorful icons to signify its applications. Oh wait, so does Windows 7, Gnome Shell, Unity, etc. /endrant

While I have grown to love Unity (one time hater speaking), I do find this Cinnamon conversation intriguing. I might have to give this a shot and see how things go. I'm always open to alternative desktop environments.

Copper Bezel
January 28th, 2013, 08:39 PM
How long ago did you try cinnamon? My jitter when selecting workspaces in Expo view seems to be fixed with the newest version. Runs very smooth :D
Last week. = ) But I'm glad they've corrected that, and I'll have to try Cinnamon out again at some point in the future. elementary is just a very good fit for me right now, and I've had better luck on my 12.04 install than I was having on 12.10 with some little quirks.

I learned a long time ago to start with the best. Ubuntu, because its very easy to just install a new DE with a few terminal commands.. Less burning of disks :P
I prefer this too, though it can lead to conflicts. And I still end up burning the disks, so that I can try before I buy. = )

Not trying to stir anything up, but I have a Macbook Pro sitting right here next to me. The only similarities I see is the fact that Mac OSX uses colorful icons to signify its applications. Oh wait, so does Windows 7, Gnome Shell, Unity, etc. /endrant
People see the window round controls on the left and the global menu in the panel and think Apple. Both systems also both use docks that are separate from the panel, but of course, everyone does now (except Cinnamon at default.) To give the folks crying "knockoff" some credit, when the dock's hidden (on both systems) and there aren't any maximized windows, it looks like a similar layout at a glance.

Roasted
January 30th, 2013, 05:40 PM
People see the window round controls on the left and the global menu in the panel and think Apple. Both systems also both use docks that are separate from the panel, but of course, everyone does now (except Cinnamon at default.) To give the folks crying "knockoff" some credit, when the dock's hidden (on both systems) and there aren't any maximized windows, it looks like a similar layout at a glance.

With having exposed quite a few individuals to Unity/Ubuntu, that isn't something I've heard of yet from the user base. I can understand somebody splitting some extreme hairs and having that argument, but to go as far as to say it's a knock off is pretty comical.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether or not the tool you're using is doing the job you need. Unity has taken things to a new level and spoiled me to the point of feeling semi lost and frustrated with the decreased work flow I have on other systems.

Umbra Diaboli
January 30th, 2013, 06:53 PM
With having exposed quite a few individuals to Unity/Ubuntu, that isn't something I've heard of yet from the user base. I can understand somebody splitting some extreme hairs and having that argument, but to go as far as to say it's a knock off is pretty comical.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether or not the tool you're using is doing the job you need. Unity has taken things to a new level and spoiled me to the point of feeling semi lost and frustrated with the decreased work flow I have on other systems.

What I see is a top panel that functions exactly like Mac OS X's Finder. I rather have individual drop down menus on the window of every program.

A dock/taskbar that groups things by program instead of by windows, thus making it painful to switch from one window to another (the Alt-Tab functions exactly like Mac OS X, however, they have added the option to select individual windows from the Alt-Tab menu, but this system is slow and inefficient - same thing can be said by silly expose/mission control effect when you want to select individual windows from the dock/taskbar).

An over simplified and inefficient directory explorer that is getting worse and worse with every patch.

A dash that wants to work exactly like Spotlight in Mac OS, but fails. In this dash programs are not divided into categories, they are all just dumped under the same category - Applications.

A dash which is also extremely intrusive with Amazon everywhere. Even if you disable it, things are still displayed with a price when you click on the bottom categories - it looks horrible.

I can think of a million things I hate about Unity.

Hello Canonical ):P

mJayk
January 30th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I have everydesktop you can think of installed on my 12.10, and I hate to admit it but im falling in love with kde :o

Umbra Diaboli
January 30th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I have everydesktop you can think of installed on my 12.10, and I hate to admit it but im falling in love with kde :o

Do you know any good website where I can find the terminal commands to install a bunch of desktops on mine too? It's just to try new alternatives :KS

MasterNetra
January 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Didn't really like the unity either, went to gnome classic no effects.

Yea I like to use Gnome Classic (No Effects) for more resource intense programs/games. Too bad the effects version is a bit bugged, at least for me, I can never bring up the taskbar menu to get to its options will uses Gnome Classic Effects, only in No Effects. Hope that gets sorted out. Gnome Shell seems to be on par with Gnome Classic in resource consumption, at least for me, on 32bit (Have only 1GB of ram).

As for cinnamon there is the Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix: sourceforge.net/projects/cinnamon-remix/ Its built off the LTS though.

Copper Bezel
January 30th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah, that was bad word choice. What I meant was that I can see why people think of them as being superficially similar. It's funny, really, since in behavior and functionality, Unity is much more similar to Windows 7 than either is to OSX.

mJayk
January 30th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Do you know any good website where I can find the terminal commands to install a bunch of desktops on mine too? It's just to try new alternatives :KS

Haven't found one yet, I usually just google Ubuntu desktops or unity altern's.

Find one I like, and google how to install it.

Its usually just a like like sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-full or summit.

Umbra Diaboli
January 30th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Haven't found one yet, I usually just google Ubuntu desktops or unity altern's.

Find one I like, and google how to install it.

Its usually just a like like sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-full or summit.

That Google search worked :D

Thanks a lot!

lancest
January 31st, 2013, 01:14 PM
Cinnamon with Jelly Bean theme is my preference now.
Mint 14.

sdowney717
February 1st, 2013, 12:58 AM
I disabled the hotspot corner in Cinnamon, found it very annoying since your always pushing the mouse to the corner to control open windows.

A post on the Mint forum told me how.

montag dp
February 1st, 2013, 01:26 AM
I have everydesktop you can think of installed on my 12.10, and I hate to admit it but im falling in love with kde :oWhy would you hate to admit it? KDE is great. It's my favorite too, with Cinnamon my second choice.